Sign in to follow this  
HOT1

The answer to NF3 freezing in games

Im about to get seriously mad, i have tried all new video drivers as well as the 5.10 and 6.37 chipset drivers. I don't get it to work very well, i have to use an old 66.97 driver than all games work well except the new lovely BF 2 which requires newer drivers like thoose in the 7x.xx series (77.30, 77.50, 77.72). If i use thoose new video divers 7x.xx my frame rate in CSS drops from 145 too 108 and i get sudden freezes for up to 5 seconds in booth CSS and BF 2. I think Nvidia have some serious problem here. Any tip on how to resolve this issue except from what i have allready tried would be greatly apreciated.

gixxer

what vga card r u using??

anyway after i change my card to 6600gt

i got alot of problems

such as randomly crash when i playing BF2 or running maya

the problem bcoz worst after i update the bios to 05/04/2005

then i tried to reformat the windows

last time before i update the bios..at least i can play with fw disable

with low setting

now ...i can't play at all...bcoz not more than 10mins..then crash

it really make me pissed off...

so i hope someone can help me to solve this problem

cpu: amd64 2800+ 1.81ghz

mobo: dfi lanparty ut 250gb nforce3

ram: kingston value 1024ddram400 pc3200

vga: leadtek winfast nvidia 6600gt 128mb

poyozer, first make sure that you have a working and stable system. If i were u i would flash to 9/14/04 which have worked great for me, mabye the later bios are ok but i havent tried them so i don't know. Format HDD, reinstall windows, set FW to off and use 6.37 chipset drivers amd 77.30 nforce, you will find them both on www.guru3d.com.

Best of luck

Gainward 6800GT GS @ 400/1100

where to get the old version of bios

the one that u use

i can't find it

anyway...izzit...it is must i clear the bios after i flash the bios???

im using the x800xt card what will work for me because im experencing crashes as well in games, could this be a gart issue also?

Ive tried the newer drivers as well as the older ones also and nothing seems to work for me currently im at 230 1:1 16 hrs prime and memtest stable so i know its nothing in my hardware as far as that goes now the vid card is another, ive tried all at fast writes off 256 128 64 32 nothing seems to work for me, what do u guys think? Card has never been overclocked and has scored about 27-28k stock settings on card, now doin 26666 :(

Im thinkin driver issue but after trying alot of different others im stuck here, and im working on different combos now as far as chip + vid drivers go...

For those experiencing the 3-5 second freezes, you're likely suffering from GPU throttling if your card is overclocked. The "bug" seems to only occur in D3D apps. Use Rivatuner Hardware monitor to determine if you're throttling. Check nvnews forums for a huge thread on the subject.

I have terrific temps on my card even at 400/1100 (watercooling.) But it still throttled. Upping my GPU voltage in the card's BIOS to 1.4V solved the issue somewhat, enough to achieve Ultra speeds without those pauses (throttling.)

Disabling fastwrites can eliminate the throttling but at the cost of performance (1000 3DMarks on my system.)

It was once thought to be a NForce 3, 6800 series bug. Now it seems more like a Forceware issue. If I use any driver post 66.93, throttling returns on even the slightest overclock even with the Volt mod. A bug has been identified by NVidia with Forceware and the 7800GTX. The so called "cold bug" throttles the GPU to stock at temperatures seemingly below 35C. The issue also occurs on NF4 motherboard so it doesn't look like a chipset issue.

I don't think it's a temp issue nor is it isolated to 7800GTX cards or any chipset. My theory is a Froceware issue detecting a fan failure on cards that have aftermarket cooling but don't use the default connector.

I tried to put my theory to the test by connecting the stock fans while leaving my watercooled solution installed and see if it throttles. Unfortunately since my temps are so cool, the fans shut off completely when Windows is finished booting (adding further credence to a Forceware issue.) So I cannot tell if having a fan connected to the default connector solves the throttling issue. 6800s vary the fan speed according to temperature demands so the driver or card's BIOS could be shutting them down (especially on watercooled cards,) then the driver believes there is a fan failure and throttles back to low power 3D move (stock clocks.) I believe it is a Forceware issue introduced after the 66.93 driver.

I'd like to test this further so I'm open to suggestions.

For those experiencing the 3-5 second freezes, you're likely suffering from GPU throttling if the card is overclocked. Use Rivatuner Hardware monitor to determine if you're throttling. Check nvnews forums for a huge thread on the subject.

I have terrific temps on my card even at 400/1100 (watercooling.) But it still throttled. Upping my GPU voltage in the card's BIOS to 1.4V solved the issue somewhat, enough to achieve Ultra speeds without those pauses (throttling.)

Disabling fastwrites can eliminate the throttling for some but at the cost of performance (1000 3DMarks on my system.)

It was once thought to be a NForce 3, 6800 series bug. Now it seems more like a Forceware issue. If I use any driver post 66.93, throttling returns on even the slightest overclock even with the Volt mod. A bug has been identified by NVidia with the 7800GTX. This so called "cold bug" throttles the GPU to stock at temperatures seemingly below 35C. This happens with NForce 4 motherboards so it doesn't appear to be a chipset or chipset driver issue.

I don't think it's a temp issue nor is it isolated to 7800GTX cards or any chipset. My theory is a Forceware issue with cards using aftermarket cooling but not the default fan connection. The driver detects no fan turning, interprets it as a fan failure and throttles the card back.

I tried to put my theory to the test by connecting the stock fans while leaving my watercooled solution installed and see if it throttles. Unfortunately since my temps are so cool, the fans shut off completely when Windows is finished booting (adding further credence to a Forceware issue.) So I cannot tell if having a fan connected to the default connector solves the throttling issue. 6800s vary the fan speed according to temperature demands so the driver or card's BIOS could be shutting them down, then the driver believes there is a fan failure. I believe it is a Forceware issue introduced after the 66.93 driver.

I'd like to test this further so I'm open to suggestions.

well before i did'nt have the studder issue then i did, not sure what happened

had to format c: and re-install everything... no studders now :)

will OC the video card tommorow to see if that brings it back.

update: seems that 1100 on mem will cause studders, backed it down to 1000 and all well

I may have the answer to the freezing in games on a NF3 . downloaded the 6.37NV chipset drivers and used the 4.40 gart driver .The 5.10 I think has the 3.36 drivers No more freezing in FARCRY and the overclocking works 400/1100

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=19

Give it a go

UPDATE 1 hour of UT2003 benchmark and no freezing [1280x1024/2Q/8]

EDIT: tryed the 77.72 drivers got green text on start up and my benchmarks freeze up [on a 6800gt] gone back to the 77.30 drivers.

EDIT 2: Had a freeze up so I set my O/C to 350/1100

Tryed the 77.76 drivers and they work great[all settings max`ist out] but still no O/C on the V/C.

im using the x800xt card what will work for me because im experencing crashes as well in games, could this be a gart issue also?

Ive tried the newer drivers as well as the older ones also and nothing seems to work for me currently im at 230 1:1 16 hrs prime and memtest stable so i know its nothing in my hardware as far as that goes now the vid card is another, ive tried all at fast writes off 256 128 64 32 nothing seems to work for me, what do u guys think? Card has never been overclocked and has scored about 27-28k stock settings on card, now doin 26666 :(

Im thinkin driver issue but after trying alot of different others im stuck here, and im working on different combos now as far as chip + vid drivers go...

yep...on my aiw x800xt it just started happening when i got my new monitor...dell 2005fpw...also happens on my 9800 pro aswell...cat 5.7's w/ 4.40 gart was working fine before with my old crt (1024x768) now @ 1680x1050 it stutters randomly for about 5 seconds each time...