Sign in to follow this  
HOT1

The answer to NF3 freezing in games

I may have the answer to the freezing in games on a NF3 . downloaded the 6.37NV chipset drivers and used the 4.40 gart driver .The 5.10 I think has the 3.36 drivers No more freezing in FARCRY and the overclocking works 400/1100

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=19

Give it a go

UPDATE 1 hour of UT2003 benchmark and no freezing [1280x1024/2Q/8]

EDIT: tryed the 77.72 drivers got green text on start up and my benchmarks freeze up [on a 6800gt] gone back to the 77.30 drivers.

EDIT 2: Had a freeze up so I set my O/C to 350/1100

hmmm....I just might have to try those out....because I just installed the 5.10s yesterday and my overclock of 430/1150 that worked fine on my XP system doesn't on here because of the NF3 bs.....right now it seems the highest stable OC I can get is 415/1120

Have you tried going much beyond your current OC? Mines water cooled though so if you're using stock heatsink I'd understand that you wouldn't.

My card has been freezing at the beginning of BF2 when I first join a server, but other than that it doesn't ever freeze.....so I don't know if it'll fix my OC problem, but I suppose it's worth a shot....

Don't suppose you've tried bumping up chipset voltage at all have you? Also knocking the AGP frequency to 67MHz cleared up a little in the beginning when running 410/1120

If a GART driver fixd it, I would think that the AGP aperture size could be lowered in the BIOS to produce a similar workaround. This can't affect the overclock of the GPU, but the performance of hte overclock. A high AGP aperture will map more textures to the system memory and with AGP GART the textures in system memory won't be in the video memory, and that will cause slow down since AGP = 2GB/s , and a 6800GT has 32GB/s at 1100Mhz DDR3.

It has effected the overclock for me, and it's effected the performance in a positive way.....my card would run 430/1150 no probs on my XP system, but now I'm being limited to around 415/1120....anything higher than that will cause 5 second freezes in 3dmark03 and 05 and even aquamark for that matter.

I've tried running it with both 128mb AGP aperture and 256mb AGP aperture to see if one or the other would help in alleviating this problem.

Thanks to the AMD64 system though, 415/1120 yeilds higher scores than 430/1150 but then that just makes me wonder what 430/1150 would yeild me if it worked correctly at that speed =/

415/1120 6800GT @ DDR460 - 2.3GHz - 77.30 - 70,528 - Aquamark 3

I've just been keeping a record of various benches in notepad....I don't have anything recorded through ORB or anything like that.

I'll try 64mb Aperture though as soon as the CPU is done priming.

I may have the answer to the freezing in games on a NF3 . downloaded the 6.37NV chipset drivers and used the 4.40 gart driver .The 5.10 I think has the 3.36 drivers No more freezing in FARCRY and the overclocking works 400/1100

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=19

Give it a go

UPDATE 1 hour of UT2003 benchmark and no freezing [1280x1024/2Q/8]

Perfect ! Thanks very much mate - this worked just as you said.

I didnt think I had any problems with games - until I installed the bf2 demo - it was shocking performance even in 1024x768 and LOW detail settings - random 1 second freezes and/or stuttering and 'lag' like stuff going on - I was all ready to shell out on more expensive components till I saw this thread - did what you said and the performance increase was instant and amazing ! now can run bf2 demo in 1600xwhatever? in HIGH detail settings fine....

thanks again!

I have the exact problem that Majorj0nny had, except the freezes lasted about 3-4 seconds, and almost always happened to be at vital points in BF2 (aka. when I was being shot at, or I had a perfect shot on someone else). There is nothing more annoying than that. Now I just can't wait to get home from work and try these suggestions. Thanks guys. I'll update on whether or not it worked tonight.

dfi LanParty UT nF3 250GB

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz 512KB cache

THERMALTAKE Venus 12 Processor Fan and Heatsink

BFG geForce 6800 GT Overclocked

Seagate 160GB HD 7200 RPM 8MB cache

Because of the freezing, my best 3dmark score was just over 10000 at 1280x1024 :confused:

I can't wait!

my only problem has been my overclocks....I was running 430/1150 on my XP-M machine and now I'm limited to 415/1120....don't know if this will fix that though but it seems to be working for you people who have had trouble running what otherwise should have had no problems running mostly stock settings for the most part.....been to lazy to uninstall and reinstall it all though

It didn't work for me. At first it seemed to freeze less often, but when I restarted, it started freezing the same amount as before. I completely uninstalled all my nVidia drivers and tried again, this time starting with 6.37 and the 4.40 GART drivers, but no luck. I am going to try driver cleaner pro and start all over. I also lowered my aperature size, which made it worse.

I've tried old GART drivers, new GART drivers, no GART drivers, no IDE drivers, and all other kinds of driver combinations, but none make much of a difference. The video stress test in counter strike source freezes about 5 times with really high quality.

I'm getting confused.

When I installed my 250Gb, I thought I was doing the right thing by using the 6.39 drivers instead of the drivers on the cd. They didn't include a GART at all, took me a while to figure out why my AGP card wasn't working properly.

Now there's ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/...ternational.exe which, as far as I can tell, are OK for an nF3, and also don't include a GART.

I've found that turning off fast writes on ATI cards can make things considerably more stable; everyone in the thread is using nv cards, but that may work also.

Maybe there's a confusion as to who is supposed to supply a GART in the first place?