New Ultra-D! But 6600GT doesn't fit...kinda

OK...no paper then...Um.. I'd never cover up the entire fan with a piece of paper...I just meant I'd put like a millimeter wide strip just big enough to stop the card from rubbing...heh. I'll try reseating it like Atomic said, just in case, but it seemed to go in no problem. BTW Atomic, it's not hitting the fan itself, just the chrome top.

thanks to all.

Did anyone read my idea for removing the thermal pad underneath the NB fan? If I remove the pad and put down some AS5, would this give me a tiny bit more clearance?

OK...no paper then...Um.. I'd never cover up the entire fan with a piece of paper...I just meant I'd put like a millimeter wide strip just big enough to stop the card from rubbing...heh. I'll try reseating it like Atomic said, just in case, but it seemed to go in no problem. BTW Atomic, it's not hitting the fan itself, just the chrome top.

thanks to all.

Did anyone read my idea for removing the thermal pad underneath the NB fan? If I remove the pad and put down some AS5, would this give me a tiny bit more clearance?

Use Ceramique...its non-conductive (I think thats right...always get those terms mixed up) and won't harm anything. But yeah that's a good idea anyway without the rubbish clearence on the chipset :dog:

Just another thought....

I have the LeadTek 6800GT as well. I originally set up and used it in the top PCI-E slot that put it right over the chipset HSF and it worked fine. After seeing several threads here about using the lower PCI-E slot at 8X speeds, (the top one is 16X) I decided to try it. Worked great and my chipstet temps dropped by 2 deg. Celsius.

Many have tested it for performance and the general consensus is that using the bottom slot is just as fast as the top one... with no clearance issues with that chipset fan. Simply take the card out, move those SLI jumper blocks down to the 2-3 position and put the card in the other PCI-E slot.

CC

Just another thought....

I have the LeadTek 6800GT as well. I originally set up and used it in the top PCI-E slot that put it right over the chipset HSF and it worked fine. After seeing several threads here about using the lower PCI-E slot at 8X speeds, (the top one is 16X) I decided to try it. Worked great and my chipstet temps dropped by 2 deg. Celsius.

Many have tested it for performance and the general consensus is that using the bottom slot is just as fast as the top one... with no clearance issues with that chipset fan. Simply take the card out, move those SLI jumper blocks down to the 2-3 position and put the card in the other PCI-E slot.

CC

ditto

er guys, GUYS ,

the PCB (printed circuit board) material is nonconductive by design and I have never see any card that also by design does not have at least 3/16 inch of a "components and traces excluded" zone around the edge of the board. There should be no issue of a short if the bottom edge of the card is just resting on the top of the fan as long as the fan turns. (and boy thats some NB fan if it would chew the fiberglass impregnated PCB, I would think the fan would be stopped instead but guess it could happen)

The primary issue would be the question of is the card properly seated and the card contacts making good connections in the pci slot.

If you would be comfortable with the warranty being voided, you could double check that there are no traces or components or vias (small holes) and file off a bit of the offending PCB material to give you some clearance, espically if it appears the card is not fully seated. I would use a hand file not a dremel and remove no more than 1/8 inch no matter what. If getting rid of the TIM pad and using AS grease will get you there, thats the way to go.

No, use AS5, it's way better.

I don't think it is. From what I've heard ceramique is just as good as AS5 but it is permanent and a little less expensive. AS5 should be used on processors (since they sometimes needs to be removed). However, I think it's best to use ceramique for all your other things like ramsinks, chipsets, etc.

er guys, GUYS ,

the PCB (printed circuit board) material is nonconductive by design and I have never see any card that also by design does not have at least 3/16 inch of a "components and traces excluded" zone around the edge of the board. There should be no issue of a short if the bottom edge of the card is just resting on the top of the fan as long as the fan turns. (and boy thats some NB fan if it would chew the fiberglass impregnated PCB, I would think the fan would be stopped instead but guess it could happen)

The primary issue would be the question of is the card properly seated and the card contacts making good connections in the pci slot.

If you would be comfortable with the warranty being voided, you could double check that there are no traces or components or vias (small holes) and file off a bit of the offending PCB material to give you some clearance, espically if it appears the card is not fully seated. I would use a hand file not a dremel and remove no more than 1/8 inch no matter what. If getting rid of the TIM pad and using AS grease will get you there, thats the way to go.

I thought about this too, but id have remorse about it since it's brand new hehe. I thought removing the thermal pad underneath the NB fan would be better so I wouldn't have to mar the vid card.

Thanks. I just got the PSU in the mail today so i'm good to go. I hear there are issues with BIOS versions before 3/10. I don't even know whats in there yet. I figure i'll give it a shot with whatever BIOS it has...I've never flashed a BIOS before...it should be interesting if it comes to that.

take care,

LemonyLime

• 4 weeks later...

I have a x800 and my card sits on the edge of the silver guard which sort of pushes down on it and makes the fan hit the edge of the card at times and Im not going to lie it is bugging the crap out of me, its not loud but I can hear it and I just want to rip the whole thing out :(

I don't think it is. From what I've heard ceramique is just as good as AS5 but it is permanent and a little less expensive. AS5 should be used on processors (since they sometimes needs to be removed). However, I think it's best to use ceramique for all your other things like ramsinks, chipsets, etc.

Ceramique and As5 are pretty much the same, maybe a degree or two differences between them, I tested them on various cpu's... I would go with Ceramique, as it is non-conductive.. and ceramique is not permanent at all, it is just like as5 essentially in the fact that things can be removed after applying!

I removed everything(ramsinks/hsf etc) from my 7800gtx and applied ceramique and also the nb fan of the dfi mobo.. I dropped 2-3 degrees on the nb, and 1-2 on the gtx

It may have been alot of work, but lower temps is still lower temps!!