Sign in to follow this  
Pickwick

NF4-SLI - Any known conflicts with following components?

Hi there,

I’ve been reading these boards for several weeks now gathering some research on building a new AMD 64 based system. After deciding on a CPU, I always start with the motherboard. It’s not easy choosing a board, but ultimately the support offered here especially by DFI employees responding to posts tipped the scale in my deciding on a the LanParty NF4 SLI-DR over the Asus A8N-SLI Premium.

I just wanted to ensure all the parts I’m compiling appear compatible. Also, any insights, recommendations, or suggestions on anything I haven’t considered would be welcome.

The parts are as follows:

LanParty NF4 SLI-DR

Athlon 64 4000+ (San Diego)

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 X 512MB)

PC Power&Cooling Turbo-Cool Express SLI

2 eVGA 6800 GT 256 MB running in SLI mode

WD Raptor 74GB

Chaintech AV710 VIA Envy 24PT Sound Card

NEC ND-3520A

As far as I can tell, there doesn’t appear to be any conflicts.

Also, has anyone been able to run this set-up in SLI mode in XP64?

Many thanks,

Pickwick

Unless you really want to spend that much for a single Raptor I would get two Hitachi 80GB SATA II drives for 2/3rds the price.

Take a look at the HD benchmark thread at the top of the forum. You will be very pleased with the performance of a two drive RAID-0 array using the Hitachi drives.

And I haven't been paying that close attention to RAM in recent weeks, but I believe the Rev 2 quality has been declining (as far as o/c-ability). The good ones are binned under a different model name, right?

Well as far as I can see that looks pretty damn good to me. As long as the evga cards are PCI-E (i'm sure they would be) then its all looking pretty damn sweet. Enjoy and good luck :)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses and insights.

ExRoadie – Hm, those benchmarks are very interesting. It surprised me that the Hitachi ATA II drives compare so well against the Raptors. It seems as if performance improves as the size of the drive increases. I will not be running a RAID array on this machine, and leaning towards purchasing only one hard drive for the OS and Applications. In this case, I may just opt for a much larger Hitachi for the same price as the Raptor.

Spdiscus – Yes, you are correct. The OCZ Revision 2 is now using Samsung’s TCC5 instead of it’s TCCD. My other alternatives in this area would be to opt for either the Corsair XMS 3200XL (which is still running TCCD as far as I know) or some PQI Turbos running the Samsung TCCD. It does appear to be the opinion of many that TCCD is more stable while overclocking.

Alpha Blondy - Yes, they are PCI Express cards.

Oliveryochest – I agree, each system responds uniquely even when all the components are identical. I just wish to avoid the “known” hardware conflicts.

Kempez815 – LOL…well, you know any excuse to make a nicer and faster game machine right?

With kindest regards,

Pickwick

Changes: I will most likely go with the UT, assuming it contains the SLI bridge. I read that the initial shipments with the UT based board required purchasing the bridge seperately and had a higher probability of being damaged on transport based in it's packaging. Anyone know if this is still the case?

A single Raptor will beat a single Hitachi at every turn. The Raptor has the edge due to the higher spindle speed.

The real advantage comes in setting up a RAID-0 array using the Hitachi drives.

Changes: I will most likely go with the UT, assuming it contains the SLI bridge. I read that the initial shipments with the UT based board required purchasing the bridge seperately and had a higher probability of being damaged on transport based in it's packaging. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Well I have the SLi-D UT board and it has the bridge included in the box....UK retail so I assume it included now :)

And yeah...I'm getting another GT soon....and the same PCPnC as you so.....yeah anything to build a rig that rocks :tooth:

Nice system, love your psu, too bad it isnt avaiable overhere. Id wait for new 7800 cards though if your gonna stick with nvidia.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses and insights.

ExRoadie – Hm, those benchmarks are very interesting. It surprised me that the Hitachi ATA II drives compare so well against the Raptors. It seems as if performance improves as the size of the drive increases. I will not be running a RAID array on this machine, and leaning towards purchasing only one hard drive for the OS and Applications. In this case, I may just opt for a much larger Hitachi for the same price as the Raptor.

Spdiscus – Yes, you are correct. The OCZ Revision 2 is now using Samsung’s TCC5 instead of it’s TCCD. My other alternatives in this area would be to opt for either the Corsair XMS 3200XL (which is still running TCCD as far as I know) or some PQI Turbos running the Samsung TCCD. It does appear to be the opinion of many that TCCD is more stable while overclocking.

Alpha Blondy - Yes, they are PCI Express cards.

Oliveryochest – I agree, each system responds uniquely even when all the components are identical. I just wish to avoid the “known” hardware conflicts.

Kempez815 – LOL…well, you know any excuse to make a nicer and faster game machine right?

With kindest regards,

Pickwick

Don't get Corsair XMS, while they are TCCD, they do not overclock as well as other TCCD RAM. Get either the pqi TURBO's, or the Patriot PDC1G3200+XBLK memory.