Sign in to follow this  
crafty

The reply I got from [email protected] on the cold boot issue

I sent mine out awhile ago Oskar, it should be getting there soon.

I pm'd you about securing some replacement memory so I can actually try out the new board with a new bios. Right now I don't have any extra and my DFI is gathering dust!

I got the board and memory today , there is a SMD capacitor on one of the dimms is broken ... I solder it back and test the two memory in my daily working FX-55 + dual channel platform ... One of the dimm(the one with broken smd capacitor) is damaged , it's not booting under dram voltage lower than 2.8V even at SPD timing and 200mhz fsb in single channel mode or dual channel mode ... After a certain period of rest(cool down) , sometimes it can boot @ 2.6V ... Most of the time it need 2.8V to boot ... The other one is complete ok ... 6/18 bios can help this situation if you set and save the dram voltage higher than 2.8V using the other good stick first and put the damaged one into the socket ... But the damaged stick perform exactly the same as the previous set I got , the damaged stick of previous set just need more boot up voltage than this set ...

About the board you send , in order to use phase change cooler , the socket is filled with thermal grease ... I need to clean all of them before testing the board , this will takes some time ... I will post the motherboard result after I finish cleaning the socket ...

I am currently on 615 and will try 618 series tonight. 615 solved my cold boot. Oskar, you are the man. But I have to lower my CL timing to 2.5 to get 260mhz stable. Hopefuly 618 series can cure the CL timing that I have now. Will post result after falshing to 618

my sig

-------------

Winnie 3000+ @ [email protected] (260X9)

TwimMos SP UTT 256mb x 2 @ 260mhz @ 2.5-2-2-2 @ 3.66vdimm

DFI NF4 Ultra-D (Rev. A3) Bios 615

IDE HItachi 80gb 7200rpm 2mb

Gigabyte 6600GT 500/1000

LG 16X DVD ROM

Gigabyte 52X CD ROM

Panasonic Floppy

icute 420 watt PSU (20 pin)

Well, i ordered VX yesterday because i was wasting money on the OCZ Platinum pc4800. Since I will be replacing the memory, how should i go about doing this so i don't end up with a cold boot and/or dead RAM? I also forgot to ask what memory chips the OCZ VX uses, BH5/UTT or CH5?

Latest FAQ reply from DFI on my eternal ping pong dodge the questions to DFITS email.

So far, this is the 3rd reply I have received from them and I still have not heard anything I don't already know.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_faq_us1.j...TYPE=US&SITE=US

Kinda funny, as it says:

We do not suggest setting VDIMM over 3.2V, because this memory can be over-clocked with 3.2V VDIMM. If the VDIMM is set too high, the board might be damaged easily.

And there is a screenshot of Smartguardian with Vdimm at 3.58V (edit: I had 5.58 -wooops)so that board

'might be damaged easily'.

I guess that e-mail adress is to the girl in the reception at DFI headquarters. And she`s not fluid in inglish:) Anyways, we have got their attention, and BIOS 618 seems to be working for people. bose301s: If your computer doesn`t boot with the extra voltage jumper enabled, you have to use a alternative jumper configuration, worked for me: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...t=NF4+cold+boot

I guess that e-mail adress is to the girl in the reception at DFI headquarters. And she`s not fluid in inglish:) Anyways, we have got their attention, and BIOS 618 seems to be working for people. bose301s: If your computer doesn`t boot with the extra voltage jumper enabled, you have to use a alternative jumper configuration, worked for me: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...t=NF4+cold+boot

Thanks much for that link, I'll read through it before I get my VX. I will try to run it standard first, at 3.2v VDIMM before i enable the jumper.

Latest FAQ reply from DFI on my eternal ping pong dodge the questions to DFITS email.

So far, this is the 3rd reply I have received from them and I still have not heard anything I don't already know.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_faq_us1.j...TYPE=US&SITE=US

Kinda funny, as it says:

And there is a screenshot of Smartguardian with Vdimm at 5.58V so that board

'might be damaged easily'.

that picture shows 3.58 volts, not 5.58 volts.