Need help with Flashing..Please!!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone first, as this is my first post to DFI forums.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to computers in general. This is my first build period. Thanks to all the helpful stickies, I was able to finish my computer. But my problem is with my bios.

I want to flash my bios to anything newer than the official 310 bios, preferably the newest 6-15 bios that just came out. I first attempted to use my floppy drive - started a ms-dos startup disk with the awdflash and bios files on it. Then I placed the floppy as my first boot up in the bios, and then...it gave me this:

Disk I/O Error

Replace the disk, then press any key...

I'm confused. I then thought maybe...it was my floppy disk. So bought two more. Neither worked. I then took my brother's floppy drive and tried it. No GO. I then changed out the floppy cables, hoping that it was just my cable. Still no go. I keep getting this disk I/O error. (The floppy drive works in windows, and I can open/save files to it in windows)

I then attempted to flash my bios with "per's" bios image files that he nicely put up for everyone to use. I burned the iso (DFI_BIOSROM) as an image to both a bootcd and a regular Iso cd using nero6, and both gave me the same error:

z:5n4d510-2.bin

Disk Not Ready.....

Im completely to my wit's end. If someone can please help me out with my problem, that would be great. If it helps...I just bought my computer from Monarch about 3 weeks ago.

If there is something that I should do on my motherboard like move a jumper or in my bios to change it where I can boot up from either my floppy or cd that I dont know about, besides the boot priority thing, then that would be much appreciated. I have yet to do anything to the mobo(physically) or mess with the default settings in my bios besides the ram and cpu settings. THANKS GUYS

unfortunately, you wont be able to use the bootable cdrom for flashing. i can make you a mini iso if you like which will work in this instance.

if the floppy works in windows, then it should work to boot dos. make sure you have created a bootable floppy in windows.

if all else fails, you can flash from your hdd (like i do). please tell me the filesystem you run, and the configuration of your partitions.

thanks.

unfortunately, you wont be able to use the bootable cdrom for flashing. i can make you a mini iso if you like which will work in this instance.

if the floppy works in windows, then it should work to boot dos. make sure you have created a bootable floppy in windows.

if all else fails, you can flash from your hdd (like i do). please tell me the filesystem you run, and the configuration of your partitions.

thanks.

Thanks for your help first off!

Im not sure exactly what you are asking about the filesystem and partitions, but I only created one partition, which is a 120 gig. I run my OS, which is windows xp with service pack 2 on it. I only use one harddrive, and one partition - the C drive. I hope that was what you were asking for. Thanks again for your time pershoot. :)

Thanks for your help first off!

Im not sure exactly what you are asking about the filesystem and partitions, but I only created one partition, which is a 120 gig. I run my OS, which is windows xp with service pack 2 on it. I only use one harddrive, and one partition - the C drive. I hope that was what you were asking for. Thanks again for your time pershoot. :)

since you only have one 'full' partition, and assuming you are running NTFS, i can walk you through on creating a 'dos' section to boot off of (which will be in your menu). however, the method which will work for you, since you only have 1 partition (which is also attached to your MBR) in your config, will be slightly tricky and complex to 100% work.

i would wait until i get back, and i will create a mini iso for you, so you dont have to mess around with the complexity of the flash off hdd option in your config.

which bios(es) would you like on it? i can put 2 on a 1.44M base iso image (preferable for better compatibility), or i can make a 2.88M base image, and put 4 of them on it.

since you only have one 'full' partition, and assuming you are running NTFS, i can walk you through on creating a 'dos' section to boot off of (which will be in your menu). however, the method which will work for you, since you only have 1 partition (which is also attached to your MBR) in your config, will be slightly tricky and complex to 100% work.

i would wait until i get back, and i will create a mini iso for you, so you dont have to mess around with the complexity of the flash off hdd option in your config.

which bios(es) would you like on it? i can put 2 on a 1.44M base iso image (preferable for better compatibility), or i can make a 2.88M base image, and put 4 of them on it.

Wow...thats all i can say. I really appreciate what you're doing for me. I'm really not sure which bios is good for me since I have TCCD, but I've heard alot of people have good results with the 510-2 bios for my PDP XBL ram, and I would also like to try out the newest official bios - 0615/0618 (cant remember which one). So if you dont mind, the 510-2 and the 6-15/6-18 bios would be great. I really appreciate this!!!! :nod:

Thanks a bundle :)

Hey Pershoot

Thanks for your help and good intentions, but I found the culprit for my problems with the floppy. I just got sick and tired of all this hassle, and bought a new floppy drive and some new floppy disks.....AND IT WORKED!!!!

I am actually typing this with windows loaded into the 510-2 bios. Thanks again for the help though. Much appreciated. Well....off to OC'ing we go!!