NF3 250Gb>Games Stuttering.. Mobo At Fault?

i built this system in december.. originally with a PNY 6800GT as my video card.. well i was getting short skips and stutters while playing games.. like every 10 seconds or so the game would just skip for a half second.. or when i entered new rooms in say halflife 2 or doom 3...

well thinking it may be the video card.. i just traded it yesterday for this X800 PRO VIVO @ 16 pipes...

and this card does the EXACT same thing.. at the EXACT same spots (yes i formatted)

it seems the hdd light is on when it does this..

i have tried disabling the page file.. to no help :/

all my sandra benchmarks have everything looking fine.. and i score 6500 in 3dmark05

i took the pc over to a friends and stuck in one of his ram sticks to take me to 1.5gb.. and it still does the same... even ran a power connector from his psu to my video card.. and it still does the same stuff :(

i am at my wits end here.. and i dont understand what else it can be if its not the video card

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What PSU?

/me runs for cover when he says its a 350W Allied

heh.. i dont understand how it could be the psu.. all the rails hold solid while under full load.. ive never seen 12v drop below 11.9.. and ive never had a stability issue

it seems the hdd light is on when it does this..

i have tried disabling the page file.. to no help :/

If you don't disable virtual memory, how much pagefile does Window's system monitor say you're using when you're running this game?

If you don't disable virtual memory, how much pagefile does Window's system monitor say you're using when you're running this game?

the highest that ive ever seen it use was 750mb.. that was in BF2.. but that was like 1/4 of the bar full.. so its still in ram and not actually touching the page file on disc

/me runs for cover when he says its a 350W Allied

heh.. i dont understand how it could be the psu.. all the rails hold solid while under full load.. ive never seen 12v drop below 11.9.. and ive never had a stability issue

If I had a 350w Allied in that rig I wouldn't put it in my sig either.

Sometimes stuttering can be heat related issue

Well, something is accessing the disk. If it's not Windows swapping to the pagefile, it's got to be another ap. Try closing any background utilities and desktop geegaws you have running. A scan for viruses, trojans, and spyware is a good idea too.

Please list the max amps on the +12v, +5v, & +3.3v on that PSU.

This information can be easily found on the side of your psu, on a sticker.

Example....

300w POS Power

+12v/10a +5v/18a +3v/9a

haha its defiently not heat... my cpu runs at 32C idle and 40C load... and my video card runs at 31C idle and havent seen it go over 40C load..

3.3v is 28A 5 is 35A and 12v is 16A

i still dont see how it can be a psu problem if none of the voltages are dropping out of 10% under fullload.. and nothing is throttling it self..

and theres nothing running in the background.. it happens on freahs winxp installs with absolutly nothing installed

looks like im gonna order the OCZ Modstream 450W psu.. even tho i dont have much hope for it fixing anything

i mean do you still -REALLY- think it could be a PSU problem.. even tho all benchmarks run fine and show full speed performance.. including 3dmark.. and i have 0 stability issues.. i dont really want to spend my last 80 bucks on a PSU that isint going to fix anything..