4 leds of death

Guest Ray_merged

I was hoping someone could help me find out if I fried my processor or just corrupted my bios. I just built my first computer and was extreemly happy with myself. I had it up for three days and all was great. I then decided to screw around a little with overclocking. I figured all I needed to do was increase the fsb and bump up the multiplier a bit in the bios but I never upped the core voltage. I then rebooted and got the 4 leds on as soon as power was turned on. I then pulled the j8 jumper and tried to reboot but the leds would just loop and never powered up. Then a two tone beep started going off so I held the power button until it powered down. I then tried to clear cmos and powered up but I then got the 4 leds at startup. I decided to play some more after work but when i got home I found my wife had used it with no trouble except when it booted up it had a warning about recovering from a fatal error. besides that it worked great. She was able to backup 2 movies and burn some cd's with no trouble. When I tried to boot up it did the same 4 led thing several times before it booted and allowed me into the bios. While putting everything back the bios screen started displaying numbers all over the place and frooze. I cant get past the 4 leds at startup now. I have tried holding the reset button at powerup and holding it for 30 seconds, cleared cmos as dfi recomends and as several forums recomended and nothing. I even left it over night with no power cord, no battery and cmos jumper on 3&4 but still no luck.I dont have another AMD computer to test on but tried to boot with just the board and processor with same results. It seems to me the bios are corrupt from what I have read about the 4 led problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm it does sound possibly like a corrupt Bios, if so you'll have to either HotFlash the chip it or send it to Angry to flash for you.

Question, did the Bios Screen go something like this:

bios.jpg

That was caused by a bad video card. Not sure whether yours is down to a bad VideoCard because of some of the other things you describe like 4 LEDS of death which is typical of a corrupt Bios... Anyway, its definitely worth trying another Card in there if you can, because you never know...

Btw, you did lock AGP to 66mhz while overclocking didn't you? How far did you push it? Did you try booting with an old stick of PC2100?

Some Spec details would be useful..........

But in the meantime...... try holding the insert key down just before you power up...and hold it there until you know either way if the system has booted sucessfully.....

Phil

thanks for your quick reply. The screen I had was differant in that the numbers were randomly showing up in differant areas of the screen and then it just froze. as far as locking the agp at 66mhz, I didnt. I dont know what Im doing. I didnt want to change too many things at once. I set the multiplier to 16 and 156mhz. I havent tried slower memory. Why?

I tried the insert key several times and no luck. I cant get beyond the 4 leds of death. I also didnt realize I had the wrong settings to begin with. I didnt realize there were two amd 2400 moble processors. I should have been at x13.5 and 133MHZ not x15 and 133MHZ.

Can you post your full system specs please Ray. Create a full detailed Signature with everything listed.

Where'd you get the 133mhz x15 from? Its the Thoroughbred-B(only 256k L2 cache) 2400 that runs at that speed, i take it thats what confused you?

You was running at 156mhz by16 with no extra voltage!? Wow. I'm suprised that 2400 booted at all so your wife could use it...

Not locking the AGP to 66mhz when overclocking you are asking for problems, because it will be overclocking the AGP/PCI too.

You really need to read up as much as you can Ray before you even attempt overclocking :( and use places like this. There are lots of ppl here who will help you and give you the advice you need. But you need to create a detailed signature first.

Oh, and using an old stick of PC2100 is an old trick ppl have used in the past to enable them to boot...

Im not sure how to set my detailed signature but this is what I have:

Motherboard:

LANParty NFII Ultra B

Motherboard BIOS:

1-31?

Memory:

ocz,2x512,3200 EB platinum

Video Card:

Radeon 9600 xt, 128MB

PROCESSOR:

amd athlon xp-m 2400+

COOLING:

cooler master aero 7 lite

PSU:

Antec true power 480

HDD:

(2) Maxtor Dimondmax +9 200GB ata 133

I realize now that overclocking isnt as easy as raising the frount side bus and mhz until it wont boot but I figured with this board I could learn and if this happened I could pull the magic jumper and everything would be ok. I guess I should have realized its never that simple. I will be happy now just to get it running again. Im not even sure that will be possible anymore.

Instructions on how to create a signature are here Ray.

Nah, hopefully you should be able to get it running but its just isolating the problem first.

My initial thoughts are pointing towards either a corrupt Bios or that Video Card. I'd be suprised if you've damaged the CPU but it is a possibility i suppose, same goes for that Ram... You can try removing the CPU and checking it for any damage just to be certain if you wish...

Have you tried running with a minimal setup? Video Card, CPU, 1x Stick Of Ram? Unplug everything else... Then set the Cmos to clear(Position 2,3), remove the battery and leave it for a while. Replace the battery, set the Cmos jumper back to 1,2 and then remove the J8 jumper. Plug your PSU in and then try and boot, if it works immediately go into the Bios, Load Optimised Defaults and save. Power down, replace the J8 jumper.

Also i'd try and get that Video Card checked out in another system or try another one in yours if you can. Same goes for the CPU.

If you have no joy then you will have to contact Angry and arrange to have your Bios chip flashed.

EDIT: Btw, the two tone beep you mentioned, was it repeating High/Low by any chance? Or just 2 in a row?

I tried to boot with only the cpu and MB after clearing cmos and no luck. 4 leds of death work fine though. this should have worked, no? I figured I obviously wouldnt get anything on my monitor but I could watch the led's but again as soon as I power on they are on also. The sad thing is I had this same trouble with my first build with all the same componants except for an amd xp 3200 processor. It ran about the same amount of time and I had the led trouble. I never built a computer before and didnt know what to do to find the problem. I looked everything over and noticed the cpu slot was at an angle to the MB so I returned it to DFI and when I got it back I tried it again but still nothing.I also noticed the cpu slot was still as it was.They also never told me what they did if anything. I figured they must have tested it and fixed any problems. At that point I boxed it up and figured the processor was at fault. I finnaly got up the nerve to spend some more money on a processor and I oc it wrong. I want to kick myself. It was a two tone alarm that kept repeating until I finnaly got it to power down. I figured I was frying something and would have unplugged it but remembered reading about not doing just that.

Well you've got nothing to lose Ray by trying it again, exactly like i said.

Its strange how the Bios just corrupted like that without you doing anything while you was just in there...

Check out the CPU for any damage. I'm assuming by 2 Tone Beep you mean High/Low and that means a problem with the CPU from what i remember...

I'd also contact Angry through the Email Angry! Link in his signature HERE to arrange about getting that Bios Chip flashed... I'm assuming your in the US?

I cleaned off the cpu after taking the heatsink off and I dont see anything like discoloration or chips missing. I also powered up the cpu and powered it down quickly to see if the cpu would heat up and it did. I also tried the xp-3200 and got the same results though. Now when I try to clear cmos again should I only have the processor w/ heatsink & fan, psu and MB or should I also have the stick of ram and the video card? I plan to buy a bios chip from TMOD already flashed and ready. I dont know which bios I should have flashed though. If the BIOS work than I figured I could hotflash the bad bios and have a backup. I tried exactly as you said and still nothing. gess I will have to wait to see if the bios swap works. Thanks for your time. I didnt think I would get a response this fast.

I'd use the 6/19 official,you can try again w/1 stick of mem and without the VC.

Did you ever try the insert trick?Unplug psu,hold down the insert key,while holding down key plug in psu,still holding power up,if your able to boot go into bios.