SEE POST #24 FOR OLDTIMERS>> NF4 Bios 06/15

I'm running this BIOS now. I liked the 510's but had to switch back to 414-2 because my PS/2 keyboard kept freezing at windows logon. I had hoped this BIOS would fix it (asit says so) but upon first boot, PS/2 keyboard was frozen again. I followed the BIOS flashing procedure correctly etc, cleared CMOS before fully booting and booted at stock when I did boot. I will see how it pans out over the next few days. It may just have been a one off - I certainly hope so - I don't want something as minor as this to stop me using this BIOS which appears to be primarily based 510's (-3) to be exact as A_G has stated. If not, I'm luzzing this keyboard in the bin and getting me a USB one :D
I read on another forum that the problem has reversed itself. This guy couldn't get his USB keyboard to detect until in Windows, so getting into the BIOS was impossible.

Is there anyone here with a USB keyboard and mouse that can confirm whether or not they have any problems getting into the BIOS? If not, I ain't touching this new version with a 10 foot pole.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried this bios out yet, but I only have a USB KB and have used it without errors in the 1/25 bios...yes i know, thats almost the oldest one, but i thought I would mention it.

PS: I had to enable the USB KB setting in the bios for it to work

I haven't tried this bios out yet, but I only have a USB KB and have used it without errors in the 1/25 bios...yes i know, thats almost the oldest one, but i thought I would mention it.

PS: I had to enable the USB KB setting in the bios for it to work

Strangely enough, I think the guy said he had to disable USB keyboard support in order for it to work at all!

Whoa, are you serious about clearing the CMOS, battery removal and all that - way overkill as far as I am concerned. What is the jumper for then? Is it only DFI that recommends battery removal for clearing CMOS, I have remove the battery once on a different motherboard because the board was having problems remembering CMOS. Honestly, is this the way you guys that suggest it do every flash? If so, i'm impressed. Yes, I can understand as a last resort to remove the battery, but every time?

Also, if you set the correct switches on awdflash, which does clear CMOS and after flashing go into CMOS and load optimized settings that should be more than adequate. If the load optimized settings does not load and overwrite the original settings - then what on earth is it for? There is also the insert button which you can hold down to ensure safe settings.

AWDFLASH switches:

cd: Clear DMI Data After Programming

cc: Clear CMOS Data After Programming

cp: Clear PnP(ESCD) Data After Programming

While on the flashing subject, as for recommending 3 consecutive flashes so that you can be sure that it is loaded correctly, - umm where does that come from?

Flash technology works in that to change a bit you have to erase a page first, normally erased is to the value 0xFF, unless the flash program is 'smart enough' to detect that no bits are changing and not erasing these pages, I cannot see the advantage of 'multiple flashes' - nor how anyone can prove that it helps. Or is this another DFI thing, the 3x flash?

Questioning some weird suggestions...

It would be far more beneficial to verify that a bios is written correctly.

I see another user has lost their Nvidia LAN, theirs after a bios re-flash - actually wondering if it has to do with zapping/changing the 'Clear PnP(ESCD) Data After Programming'

in reference to teh 5-10 Bios series...

Some say that -1 and -2 are the other way around...but whatever the situation is you have to try them all out and see what performance you get with each of them.

From AG's post, we can probably infer that there will be multiple versions of this BIOS as well.

OK, can I get a confirmation on this from AG or RGone? -1 is for TCCD low voltage memory and -2 is for BH5 high voltage memory. I'd like to know for sure before I reflash...

Oscar has the info re: the USB mouse/keyboard bug and I would expect a fix soon. I have found that at a minimum, a full clear of the cmos is needed to use this new bios properly.

lol I had a big thread with the freeze problem on loadup and nobody answered and told me that this could be a USB/PS/2 Issue, even if in my case the DVD Drive was broken. I have a PS/2 Keyboard and an USB Mouse, could that cause an abnormal long boot while this winxp logo shows up ?

I would imagine so. The new BIOS might fix it.

Do you think this new bios could help me overclocking my G.Skill 4800LA's? I'm currently with 510-3, do you think I should try this one?

The problem is: When I get'em stable on SuperPI 32Mb, they don't pass the 1Mb; when I get'em stable at 1Mb, they don't pass 32Mb... LOL !!!!

Thanks