TCC5 vs. TCCD

Guest burningrave101

Most people are getting around the same overclocks with the new TCC5 based chips as they are TCCD chips and to tell you the truth there isn't a difference between TCC5 and TCCD chips other then the fact of how they are speed binned. Winbond bins TCC5 at 240Mhz i believe while TCCD was 250Mhz so in a way TCCD was "better" but i've seen plenty of people running 290Mhz and 300Mhz with the new TCC5 based memory and TCC5 is whats used in OCZ's higher end EL PC4800 and PC5000. I guess there are two types of TCC5 and OCZ uses the good stuff.

What about at stock speeds? Do they both run with the same stability?

Yes. The main reason people are seeing lower clocks with 3200 EL Rev2 is because the line of ocz memory has increased (addition of 4800, 5000 etc) and therefore the best modules are used in those while "worse" ones are used in 3200 rev2 as they are still capable of reaching the rated specs. Before this, many buyers got lucky with 3200 Rev2 because higher quality chips were not being pulled for higher ratings.

I haven't seen any evidence of a performance loss from tccd-tcc5.

TCC5 is whats used in OCZ's higher end EL PC4800 and PC5000. I guess there are two types of TCC5 and OCZ uses the good stuff.

Your right OCZ uses TCC5 in PC5000 modules but they haven’t as of yet used them in the PC4800 or PC4400 line, your also right about there being 2 different TCC5 versions "F" and "E" OCZ as AndyOCZ stated they only use the "F" series of TCC5 which they say is the better version.

Here is an old review of TCC5 on anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1998&p=2

Rogueblowtorch and Computerman41

Your partly right but from any OCZ rep. you'll hear they dont speed bin but rather just set at desired speeds but yeah since they do have PC4400/4800 series of TCCD based modules your taking your chance with Rev.2. Before they even decided to change the Rev.2 to TCC5 the latest modules of TCCD that they were sent couldn’t do very tight timings [2-2-2-x] at DDR400 [which is pretty much true...just like most winbond CH-x modules for an example] but they could overclock quite well, and you can find them in PC4400/4800 modules [also stated by andyOCZ] since most TCC5 can do tight timings at DDR400 I think that why they switch from TCCD to TCC5. So yeah for the default speeds [DDR400 2-2-2-x] most TCC5 are better then regular TCCD but "handpicked" is different story entirely. My personal experience with TCC5 is that it can clock just as well as most TCCD but with looser timings.

Also, I can't confirm this but to tell if your Rev.2 is TCCD or TCC5 there is a "v1.1" on the sticker on the memory sticks right next to the memory timings.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.p...23&postcount=25

my buddy has tccd and I have the tcc5. we both are running the exact same system and our oc's are exactly the same. both of us are prime stable and both at 280x9 as in difference we can't really see them. and i wouldn't worry about 3200ocz tcc5 because you'll have no proble running a htt 295-300+ x9 I'm not saying you'll be prime stable but you'll runn benches. which means nothing to me if your not prime stable. hope this helps!