Professional Looking Website

Badams66

What are some tips to make my site look better? At the index page you can choose between the non-flash and flash sites! My friend is making the flash site and im making the non-flash site! I saw what hes got done so far....AMAZING! And my work always looks so.....unprofessional! What do you look for in a good site?

ok, thats really gonna help me out, thanks

but, "keep colors simple" what do you mean by that? and if i don't use frames then people will have to keep hitting back to get to a different page or i will have to remake the table everytime i add a new page! I think i would find that a little annoying!

No one uses frames anymore. Talk about out-dated piece of junk. Learn to use tables and includes

Get rid of the pop-ups.

Have a scaleable site.. Don't limit to a minimum of 1024 x 768, as a majority of web surfers still (for whatever reason) use 800x600... this is an area where tables come in handy.

Make sure your links work.

Ok what you do is make a template file with your layout and how you want everything then you just add in info when you need to make a new page. Also you will have to update the links every time you add a new page but thats ok it will look alot more professional.

No one uses frames anymore. Talk about out-dated piece of junk. Learn to use tables and includes

Get rid of the pop-ups.

Have a scaleable site.. Don't limit to a minimum of 1024 x 768, as a majority of web surfers still (for whatever reason) use 800x600... this is an area where tables come in handy.

Make sure your links work.

Yea, i know frames are out-dated, but so much easier to work with :P ! And there are no pop-ups on my server! And the 1024x768 was just because i use 1280x1024 and i was tired of changing back and fourth to see if everything fit on a screen! So i just set a "recommended" resolution and went from there! And tables aren't that hard, i use them all the time.....includes.....well i never even heard of them :P:lol:

and i don't mean any harm by this, but my links always work :P:lol:

Also, are you looking at my site at spaceports? because everything you said there seemed to have a connection to it!

eg. there were many pop-ups before and exactly 0 now, the new site doesn't have the recommended resolution, etc.

Your forum link doesn't work. - And I think the place it does goto is where the pop-ups came from.

I was going by doomsite, which is the one in your profile. I assumed this is the site you wanted comments on, since you didn't provide a URL in your post.

yea, sorry, me and my buds are remaking the site from scratch! Its still called DoomSite but theres no forum now, a few other things to do, but we aren't going to use a web host until we test everything on my server (its kinda scrwey cuz this computer multie boots with winXP and 98 and the only time you get access the server is when its in 98....pretty much when ever im on the computer)! Theres NOTHING on the server right now but if you want the link for later its http://216.36.166.91

If you interested in my site, PM me and ill let you know when its up!

I was just lookin for ideas cuz im making the non-flash site and the previous one sucked....bad!

Edited by Tyme_66

going back to this colors question...just go on the internet, see a page you like press the printscreen button , then open photoshop or some graphics package, create a new file and then press ctrl+v. :huh:

That copies the screen image of the site you where looking at . then photoshop has a color picker which allows you to find out the color of a particular spot in the picture, just click where :O

That way you can just nick all the colors they use

its gr8! :)

yea, i know how to use print screen (most of us do), and thats pointless because i want my site to be more original...not a copy of someone elses! I actually got another friend helpin out and we came up with a pretty sweet site so far! Check out what we got so far! DoomSite

p.s.

MOST of the links don't work yet! We got the "intro/selection" page working and the index on the non-flash site! Check it out if yea got a minute!

• 5 weeks later...

heres what i do, i pick a coluor scheme, colours that arent to "in your face" and arent to hard to read, and then stick to that throughout the site. As i dont have a lot of content, i tend to put everything in a table that is centred on the page, so that it will always look neat and tidy.

My Website