Sign in to follow this  
Cobia69

Fishing, Hunting, and other activities that end up with dead stuff you

I smoked all the stuff last night ( 2x spare ribs 1 x short ribs 2 x chickens) and we ate most of it between the 7 or so people there at the swamp (*hurricane ) party.

Among the woods used : Pecan, scrub oak/Bay (smells kinds like sandalwood and makes a sweet and semi bitter smoke.) And I fired the smoker off with half a bag of mesquite.

It is funny, BBQ is so regional, some areas use tomato sauce bases and some are vinager and oil and some are dry rub.

We did them half and half with an without sauce sauce.
(I only sauce them with the door open and in the last 15 minutes of cooking.)
We also had smoked silver queen corn and fresh sliced tomatoes and we made a huge bowl of tater salad with "new" potatos and it was a feast by all standards.

I got locked out (accidentally) and in the process of knocking on the nearby window I managed to break it and put a nice laceration on my middle finger knuckle. Long story, I was feeling no pain and the stereo was so loud they couldnt hear me knock. Cheap/thin plate glass got me, just lucky I didnt need stitches afterwards and that none of it is stuck in my hand still.

Is three little pigs BBQ still going in memphis ? That place and a place on overton square had the best BBQ when I went to school there in the 80's.

Playah, One of my buddys dad makes some apple smoked mullet that are highly coveted. I get one or two usually when he makes a batch. His son is 3'rd genereation commerical fisherman and they have it dialed in on how to cook seafood.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the city dwellers and their prepackaged food.
Our little town dosent even have a mcdonalds (ordinance against chains actually.) The nearest fast food resturant is uhmmm, 25 miles from here.

I like the NC style BBQ (vinager and pepper) but only with coleslaw and on a sandwitch. (Can't beat that Keplys (famous NC resturant.)

I prefer a Hunts BBQ sauce base and added spice spice blend that I make and to just barely char / darken the sauce. I think everyone had seconds last night and thats vote enough for me.

Good luck with the fishing guys, Rain here and off again today so I am on the hill.

[quote name='OceanSeasforMe']I smoked all the stuff last night ( 2x spare ribs 1 x short ribs 2 x chickens) and we ate most of it between the 7 or so people there at the swamp (*hurricane ) party.

Among the woods used : Pecan, scrub oak/Bay (smells kinds like sandalwood and makes a sweet and semi bitter smoke.) And I fired the smoker off with half a bag of mesquite.

It is funny, BBQ is so regional, some areas use tomato sauce bases and some are vinager and oil and some are dry rub.

Playah, One of my buddys dad makes some apple smoked mullet that are highly coveted. I get one or two usually when he makes a batch. His son is 3'rd genereation commerical fisherman and they have it dialed in on how to cook seafood.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the city dwellers and their prepackaged food.
Our little town dosent even have a mcdonalds (ordinance against chains actually.) The nearest fast food resturant is uhmmm, 25 miles from here.

I like the NC style BBQ (vinager and pepper) but only with coleslaw and on a sandwitch. (Can't beat that Keplys (famous NC resturant.)[/quote]

Yeah I could kick myself in the butt for not bringing back some of that Pecan and I cut down a $hit load of swamp/water/scrub oak,just didn't have a lot of room,was already packed pretty tight.

Smoked apple mullet,man your killin me! :D

I'm in the city but it don't stop me from getting game to cook,got some customers all over the state that hook me up w/venison and fish,one old guy lives on a private compound fenced in w/13,000 acres up north,always wants me to come up and go fishing w/him and the boys.

I've had some vinegar BBQ down on the boarder w/Kentuck and Tenn.,it's a little diff but good,heck I think I could eat shoe leather w/good BBQ on it

Some of that BBQ so good,make you want to slap yo' daddy just to get the last piece

[quote name='playah']Some of that BBQ so good,make you want to slap yo' daddy just to get the last piece[/quote]

Bet no one would slap their Momma over BBQ!

I know what you mean about the hassle.

My baby Sister just drove in from Baton Rouge with two gallons of home made Chicken Gumbo with andouille and smoked sausage.

Here's a link in case you aren't familiar with andouille...
[url="http://www.gumbopages.com/food/andouille.html"]http://www.gumbopages.com/food/andouille.html[/url]

Out in the swamp land between Baton Rouge and New Orleans where my Mom was born and raised is a little smoke house. Old man Porche(pronounced posh by the cajun locals) runs the place. He was ancient when I was a kid and is over a hundred years old now.

It's the only place we buy andouille from.

I won't make a gumbo without andouille from old man Porche. It's just not worth the bother.
[quote name='cpuz']really? I respect your opinion, buddy, but I don't want to spend the time on the hassle. When we get back from vacation (Oqunquit ME ...[url="http://www.gazeboinnogt.com/"]here[/url] ) I think I'll just try a sample of the corkaroo.[/quote]

"and I let it go"

So I am clipping back to the house from my buddys place in the swamp just now.
*(had to go clean up window glass from last night.)

And low and behold there was the prettiest 4 foot gator crossing the road in front of me. I slowed down almost to a stop and I would have run it over if I didnt slow down. No sportsmanship in that though.

I need to get an aligator permit, there are plenty of them in the local area.

And a myriad of ways to fix it.

Hot (spicy) andouille are chemical warfare the next day for those not eating it on a regular basis or of tough constitution.

I am sure its not from the same place but the cajuns make some seriously good food and I enjoy the cookout.

Place in GA, *(I will get the name) sells their sausage in oil paper. *(now thats old school~! ) Several regular customers call ahead and they bring 5 lbs or so down with them and we eat it off the grill between fishing stops or on the way in.

Its the bomb on the grill, about like a keibalsa. Their Hot glavor is just evil and I cannot eat them. Fried some "hot" once in oil to try and take the heat out somewhat. Result, Oil was scarlett red and sausages were still so hot you could barely eat them. *(And I can eat habaneros...)

I'm not a fan of that burning hot stuff. Real cajun food is never "hot" but it is spicy. That "hot" craze got started with the blackend redfish fad. The chefs had to have special pans just for the blackended stuff otherwise it would ruin the regular dishes.

Finally got out and did some fishing yesterday,between this thread and some guys that work for me talking about fishing,I knew I had to go soon.
When one of 'em invited us to a private lake that he boasted about,I was hooked :nod: you can really tell a fishing nut when they're out there in the rain.
We caught a nice mess of pan fish(mmmmgood eatin),large and small mouth bass on an assortment of worms,plastic worms and harness's w/worms

I'll try to scan the pics later as we didn't have a digital camera,thnks to everybody who posted in this thread,best time I've had in a while,now if the weather holds up,I'm thinking about visitin the ole catfish spot tonite :D

thanks again guys :drool:

I hate fish. I even hate looking at them in the market. I can't get past the smell of fish!

When we were young, and being raised Catholic, we observed eating fish EVERY friday.

Well, my mom (God rest her soul) was a good cook, but there were days when she was so busy, that she used to just pop those Mrs. Paul's fish sticks in the oven. Looking back, I seem to remember them almost EVERY Friday!

And we (my younger sister and I) could not leave the table until we cleared our plate, because of the people starving in China or something like that. heh.

Well I remember I couldn't take eating it this one friday, so I asked if I could be excused to the bathroom, but before i went, I put almost the whole fish cake in my mouth, went to the bathroom and spit it out!

I figured oh well, another stariving Chinese person, but figured some mamal would eat the damn thing and thus benefit a person later, due to the food chain!

PS: Please understand it's like 90 f'ng degrees here w/ HIGH HUMIDITY and not a single breeze!!! And everyone around town is suffering from HEAT ANGER!!! Saw 3 young guys almost get into a fist fight over a wrong turn and that's not typical here. We usually wave to oncoming cars!!

Purty fish! Did you eat em' up good?
[quote name='two left feet']Did someone say fish ??

Caught this 4lb bass on a night crawler back in Australia last year.

Any other famous fish shots ??[/quote]

[quote name='ExRoadie']I know what you mean about the hassle.

My baby Sister just drove in from Baton Rouge with two gallons of home made Chicken Gumbo with andouille and smoked sausage..[/quote]

That Gumbo kicks a**. Going for seconds as I finish typing it. Thanks man. To the rest of you..you have no idea what your missing out on. :D