Fishing, Hunting, and other activities that end up with dead stuff you

Cobia69

Once you dress it out you can have full steaks or strips. A single side filet is too big for most cookers so you can quarter it up and smoke it.

I think on that fish we did a little of everything but frying.

A big bull Red like that will provide at least 14 to 18 pounds of delicious meat.

Cobia has the pics of a 28 pound speckled trout we caught(twice but that's another story). He cut some filets and baked them with a crawfish, shrimp and crabmeat dressing that was out of this world. We also fried some strips up and he made a dippin' sauce with a hint of horseradish. MMMMMM Good!

When we get flounder I like to broil it with a lemon/butter sauce. I like flounder with a nice mellow side dish like saffron rice and butter to keep from overpowering the flavor of the fish.

Man, I'm hungry now!

So tell us, how did you cook up that 'thang' in pic 2?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OceanSeaforme;

Where are you based from, anywhere near Orlando ??

I will be there in July and I am looking for somewhere to catch a couple a biguns..

regs from Germany

The nearest big city is Panama City and we are about 8-10 freeway hours from Orlando. *(We could use an autobahn in Florida its FLAT !)

If you just want something that pulls well a Shark trip would probably be good in that area and time frame. It is going to be hot and humid so practice up and live in a steamy sauna for a week before you go. (I see people wilt all the time.)

That made me hungry also, I have a freezer full (30 lbs) of U7 shrimp. 7 is the avg count per pound. They are super jumbo monster white shrimp from a local pass. Looks like I might have to thaw some out and batter dip them (*zatarans and 1 eggwhite and water) and fry them in very hot peanut oil. I know, the package says not to batter and to dry fry, but my method is tested. *(and even better with cold seltzer cause then its tempoura crispy.)

Holy rockinghorse . ! you must be down on the Keys somewhere. Ok forget that idea. I might take a short trip to Mosquito lagoon instead..

and enough about the prawns already, I am drowning here (land locked in the middle of "No seafood served Here" Germany)

Don't use water, use beer. And not that light stuff. A full bodied beer for all the flavor. You'll have to choose your weapon but I like Budwiser best. Give canola oil a shot. It has a lower temp which keeps the fry from drying out too much.

Also try Louisiana Fish Fry products. Great stuff made in Baton Rouge by a family that lives down the street from where I grew up.

They even grind their own spices at the plant and use local farmers for most of their ingredients. I would work peak processing times at the plant for seafood to bring home for supper.

Link goodness...

http://www.louisianafishfry.com

Looks like I might have to thaw some out and batter dip them (*zatarans and 1 eggwhite and water) and fry them in very hot peanut oil.

Nah, he's just a few hours east of me in the panhandle of Florida. Orlando is no more than 6 or 7 hours by interstate from Panama City. Hell, I can make it to Orlando in 10 hours from Pascagoula.

Holy rockinghorse . ! you must be down on the Keys somewhere. Ok forget that idea. I might take a short trip to Mosquito lagoon instead..

and enough about the prawns already, I am drowning here (land locked in the middle of "No seafood served Here" Germany)

You bouys not afraid of a little wind are we ?

Prawns BTW are what we generally call shrimp down under, dont be fooled by the Paul Hogan tourist adds from yester year annoucing we will "throw a coupla shrimp on the barbie". Simply not done, we throw prawns on the barbie, and nearly anything else we can cover in mixed spice and wrap in foil. We even throw beer on the barbie annoncing that improves the flavour.

Please excuse (again) the total lack of understanding of geography of the "panhandle", I guess OceanSeasforme, is a little closer to Orlando than you Mike..but he who fishes alone, can make up the best stories..