SLI-DR NF4

3700+ San Diego 939 retail with AS5 applied

Gigabyte Radeon x850xt

2x 1gb Patriot 2-2-3-5

36.6gb Raptor SATA - only internal drive installed for now

Audigy soundcard

OCZ Modstream 520wt PSU with 24pin

Lite-On 16x DVD-rw

Ok, upon installing all the hardware, bootup was fine. Then I got to the boot from cd prompt, where I hit a key, it did its thing, started loading the config files, and when it hits "Starting Windows" just before selecting what HD to reformat, it went BSOD, no code, just said the crap about shadowing and cache'in(THIS ERROR HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE, AND I HAVE BUILT MANY SYSTEMS). However, I went into BIOS, disabled RAID, cpu cache, and mem shadowing. Install and reformat gig worked, althought I didnt refromat, i left current system files intact, hit enter, it deleted all windows files, copied files, restarted, booted into the Windows XP pro config screen, took 15 mins to do "Installing devices" another 20 mins to do the other things, a good 30-35 mins INSTALLING files, and this is where I set, installing start menu items, says 19mins left, but could be alot longer than that, and might I add, at the begining of the process, it said 39mins left, and took forever to change time. Is something wrong here? I just got all this stuff brand new from newegg, not sure if the 310 bios is installed........OH which reminds me, the patriot memory is rated at 2.7v, when I set the jumper over to get higher voltages and go in and change it to 2.7 from 2.6v, I hit enter when 2.7 is selected, and walla it magically changes back to 2.6, like its saying 2.7 is unstable, whats up with this?

Your help will be at most supportive to me, please help me figure out why I spent all this money for the stuff not to work right together, thanks!

1) It sounds like you're on the 1/25 BIOS. Flash to the 3/10. The VDIMM problem can be avoided by using PageUp/PageDown (1/25 had a problem with saving the VDIMM).

2) Why would you set the jumper to go high when your RAM is rated at 2.7? Don't do that.

really prolly a good idea to flash that bios to 3-10 official to start with.

spidiscus work around will get you there with 1/25 cause it is a DRAM setting glitch.

I'd start by reading this and following it to the letter.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...4&highlight=NF4

Ok, I read it, did it exact, and am STILL taking 2 hours to install Windows Xp pro. This is after formatting HD and first files are installed, where it restarts and boots to the windows setup page, where it installs devices, configs, installs files. It takes WAY TO FREAKIN long in this process, the first process, of "Preparing configuration" generally takes 2-4 mins, but now its taking 15-20mins, and each phase after takes MUCH longer than expected!

sumthin' definately fugged up there. Are you on the NV Raid SATA ports (not the Sil Image). Is the F6 floppy working correctly? And you're using only one stick of RAM in slot #2 (orange)?

sumthin' definately fugged up there. Are you on the NV Raid SATA ports (not the Sil Image). Is the F6 floppy working correctly? And you're using only one stick of RAM in slot #2 (orange)?

Well, I installed the SATA drive on SATA 1, whats the f6 floppy thing? And I have 2 sticks of the 1gb, had one in each of the orange, took one in number 4 bank out, leaving the other in bank 2, and still get the same prob!

Hello,

Sometimes a CD drive can make the setup take really long.

If it is not doing a good transfer rate.

Do you have another CD drive to try?

Are there any jumpers on the back of the cd drive, (apart from master/slave)?

wonder if it's something with the 1Gx2 memory?

most rigs I see have 2x512. did memtest? they pass OK?

I'm not sure on this part but,

No SATA Driver needed in on NV SATAs near edge of board

Sil Image SATA Floppy needed if loading windows on Sil SATA (center of board).

ONly have an Ultra-D but hope someone can tell us for sure if it's needed to be done on your board.

Assuming CD Drive is on Primary Controller as Master.

Sound, I did something, and it sure fixed the whole mess. All I did was clear cmos and have it boot up with factory bios settings, and it worked, of course I went in a turned off floppy boot, turned silicon sata stuff off, and a few other things, but i left all the settings for ram, video, chipset and voltages and crap alone, and everything is working peachy, for now anyway. any clue what the heck was wrong? it seemed like it was reading my HD way way way way to slow, now it works fine....hmmphh u got me!

hey brutha it really doesn't matter as long as it's up. We're all cheering for ya and we'll still be here if anything else comes up.

Like wacking your lil brother up side the head, a good CMOS clear always seems to settle things down :)

And then sometimes it just helps when you have a little hand holdin'.

But I would like to know if you DO or DO NOT need to load the SIL drivers via F6 if you are loading to a single SATA on the SIL SATA ports.

I KNOW you don't with NV.

Can anyone help me with a definitive answer?

For a good time call Jenny - 867-5309 :)

I installed the sata drive on port 1 of the RIGHT section of sata ports. As far as I know, I didnt have to install any drivers for it, unless it was already on the HD itself. Anywhoo, during the reformat process, I never had to use f6, but like I said, it may have already been installed on the drive.

you dont need f6 unless you are installing RAID drivers, and you dont need them because you aren't running RAID lol.