Digital Photography

WARNING These photos are extreme closeups of a huge spider. If you don't like spiders please move along.

These two shots are from last September. This monster was huge. She made her home just outside my front door so I used the back door for several days until she moved on. I did not mess with her for fear of bloody retribution(I saw the movie Arachnaphobia). /lol

The small pic will give you an idea of the size of this beast. In the background you will see there are standard 1 inch mini-blinds for reference. The vertical white bar is the window pane divider so you can see she's only a couple of inches above the glass surface.

DSC01141sm.JPG

Now for the REALLY scary pic...

The pic in the link below was taken in extreme closeup. You can still see the mini-blinds in the background for reference. My camera lens was less than an inch from the spider in this pic. The camera was in my right hand and a broom was in the left just in case she became hostile. I also had a WMD close by in the form of a can of RAID.

This is the kind of thing that will make a grown man scream like a little girl. You have been warned.

http://myweb.cableone.net/mondo/DSC01144.JPG

That is what I think of when walking throught the woods at night and you walk into a web. Nothing else worse than that and the "sensation" of something crawling on your head. Yecchh!

What did you feed it , sparrows ?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest culinist
What are those flowers called?

They look really nice, by the way.

First one is a dwarf rhododedron (Impiditum), and the second is columbine.

Thanks for the compliments. :D

PS

That is one burly spder Ex.

where exroadie lives, those mofos are HUGE...we usually just called them banana spiders...but they would rear up on hind legs and freakin come chasing you...and they were HUGE...(i lived down south where Roadie lives for about 12 years so i seen all those icky nasty things...)

good pics guys...wasn't sure if this would be cool thread or not...keep takin cool pics!

*ps cully...those are kick butt flowers!*

What AG said!

We call them Banana Spiders and they will take off after you if you mess with them. That's why I used the back door until she left.

Back in Baton Rouge where I grew up, they were out only in the late summer. If you were in the woods or swamp you could tell where one had a web from all of the droppings on the trail. Nice little bundles of spider garbage.

Now that I'm on the edge of the Sandhill Crane National Wildlife Refuge I'm sure I will see more of them.

The spider in AG's post we normally call a Wolf spider. They are very hairy and the colorings are black and gray mostly. They are a lot of fun. They don't bite or at least I've never been bitten by one.

What makes them cool is they don't spin webs waiting for something to get caught. They actively hunt their prey.

Guest Kronos

Slightly off topic Camel Spiders

I like all spiders...all except the spiders can travel at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run. ;)

But the story says they can't run that fast and they don't make any noise. /DEAL

Still a scary freakin spider though!

Slightly off topic Camel Spiders

I like all spiders...all except the spiders can travel at speeds up to 25 MPH, making screaming noises as they run. ;)

Guest Kronos
But the story says they can't run that fast and they don't make any noise. /DEAL

Still a scary freakin spider though!

Yeah, but 10mph is crazy fast for something so small. Plus the spider is no spider, it is a solpugid. Not a member of the Arachnid family. ;)

It's just more fun to think of screaming spider running across the desert at 25mph. :D

Guest culinist
Culinist, your flowers are gorgeous. What are they?

:shake: look at the post above yours momma :nod:

Thanks.

where exroadie lives, those mofos are HUGE...we usually just called them banana spiders...but they would rear up on hind legs and freakin come chasing you...and they were HUGE...(i lived down south where Roadie lives for about 12 years so i seen all those icky nasty things...)

I do tree work and end up doin all the climbing,last year I was workin the hurricanes that hit FLA.We were in the panhandle by Pensacola,I started up this tree and got about 30ft off the ground when I noticed a few of them spiders.

It's a good thing I was roped in on climbing line and saddle,cause I came outta that tree mighty fast.When I got down I grabbed the pole saw and tied it on,cut all the limbs anywhere near me and was trippin all day every time I had to climb.

We don't have spiders up north like that,them things looked like tarantula's to me