Sign in to follow this  
AustinGamer

Anyone in the Austin/Round Rock Area?

ok good. phew.

Anyways, yes, thats how it should be goin.....let it run for about 8 hours, make sure it passes all the tests, then you should be good to set up windows. Good luck :)

first thanks again for all your help!!!!! you have no idea how great it is for a novice like me to be able to do this. ive always wanted to build a computer but have been waiting for ever becuase i thought its too hard or i would fry something. thanks so much!!

running memtest now with one stick. when do i add my 2nd stick of 512mb? i assume to rum memtest with that also correct?

also, how do i add the second stick and reboot computer. i have to turn it off first so it recognizes the 2nd stick correct- so will it go back into memtest automatically or do i need to go and do your instructions from the post above again?

After you run your first stick for awhile 8 hrs max. And have no errors. Shutdown install the second stick and test it. If all goes well, then add the other in dimm slot 2 and run memtest on both. This way you can qualify your ram.

Edit: oh nevermind...I see you are running memtest with both now.....have fun! :)

it seems to be running fine. i saw a post or sticky about the steps in loading software,etc. after i install drivers and all, should i or can i do anything about the bios settings??

If you are able to run multiple passes with no errors with both sticks of (dual). then I would leave your bios setting as is..unless there is an issue with windows (bsod etc)

Your ram s/b non ecc. I am asuming you are seeing this in memtest86. It stands for Error Checking and Correction. In a nutshell ecc allows your sytem to operate even if mem. errors occurs. But additional ram is required for this. You will see ecc ram on mostly servers (mission critical).

So basiclly you will just have to live with bsod's :)

im good so far! other than the usual virus and spyware removal stuff, is there anything else i should download in your opinion?

you have been a tremendous help and i have let everyone know that in my posts, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good. So if you installed all drivers av etc....the rest is up to you.

Glad to see you are up and running!

StephenC

i did other than the maxtor hd disc. its running fine, and i read somewhere - i dont know where to download it if it works. what do you use for browser, virus and spyware. i use mozilla,agrisoft avg, and adaware. let me know if these need to be changed or supplemented by something else!!!