[RESOLVED]ADJUST VIDEO SETTINGS>> NF4 SLI> Game FAR CRY crash

video overclock?

Beta Nvidia video drivers have never worked for me.. letalone "nvidia drivers".. thats why ive been staying as far away as possible...

Prim95 wont test video stability.... only CPU/memory.. ;) a good loop of 3d banchies will confirm 3d stability.

Hehe, I did with 3dMark... yet these are very limited indeed. Again all Direct3D games work very well with my system, its only Far Cry the one having problems. I have come to the conclusion its the beta drivers, and like you said these are just too risky to even consider using; I will return to the 71.89 official release tonight.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used nvidia products before, and I don't see how you could judge my comprehension of nvidia's driver without any prior knowledge of my experience with nvidia. ATI's graphics settings can be set up just the same way. My suggestion that it could be an overclock causing the crashing is still completely relevant because I have experienced the same problem, and it was completely unrelated to the video settings of the graphics card, but rather to improper settings of ram latency leading the the crashes.

I was just being sarcastic, and actually saying how much I dislike nVidia video drivers and how long they take to release them. Compared to ATI video drivers the nVidia ones lack a lot of support.

I tried with default CPU/RAM settings... well actually lowering the default ram speed down to 200 mhz, and the game still crashed less than 2 minutes after I started it. The only conclusion is that there is a serious problem with the 76.41 beta drivers and Far Cry. It was a good theory, I have seen Far Cry fail in other machines when the overclocking was done improperly or when it was beyond the hardware limits... yet on my system that is not the case; everytime Prime95 torture test find an error, yet on my system it didn't.

Yesterday I had a problem with Knights of the Old Republic2; game froze and only way to fix the problem was to reset. FSAA 4x was not activated, the game was running with out FSAA and I didn't knew about it, also with out Aniosotropic filter. I tried again and the game crashed a few minutes later. I went to configuration and enabled FSAA 4x and 16x Aniosotripic filter and the game is running fine now. It must be a driver issue.

Also HL2 showed me weird shadows with FSAA 4x, then I disabled it and the shadows were gone... enabled it again and the shadows didn't return. There is something beta about these beta drivers indeed, and I guess it is just too much risk using them, specially since I don't know if there is any improvement at all.

Again sorry for the misunderstanding, I was just bashing nVidia a little, wishing it was like ATI ;)

I am having similar issues, but with pretty much any 3d game. My system will run completely stable for 12 hours plus with both Prime95 and memtest but I still crash when I load into games. I have tried all the different drivers (71.89, 76.10, 76.40, and 76.45, even the most recent 77.13) and I still crash.

I contacted BFG and they suggested (after I tried all the beta drivers) that I may have IRQ issues. When I checked it seems that I do have several components on the same IRQs. One video card is on the same IRQ (3) as my network card. And the other video is on the same IRQ (11) as my sound card.

The BFG guy said that I needed to reinstall windows and install the APIC manually to insure XP stops putting multiple devices on the same IRQ.

However, so far I have reinstalled 3 times and this suck butt program is still insisting on sharing IRQs.

Have you tried any Beta drivers Zeus?

I was thinking that there is no performance increase and might be more stable to run with the official release instead. What do you think?

Also, do you have any chipset temperature problems with the two 6800GT's?

I've tried BETA drivers but I've found that the 71.89 are best on my rig.

I'm temps on my GPU's are: -

GPU1 - 70c (load)

GPU2 - 75c (load)

What about the chipset?

The 6800GT's I have have very hot mofsets near the edge of the card, directly over the motherboard chipset and the air around that area got as hot as 45 deg. I am using an extra blower fan but still the chipset gets quite warm at 52 deg while in the middle of a game.

And 75 deg for the GPU's... isn't that hot? Mine are like that too.

I would suggest running the 76.45 version drivers, as they give me the best overclock period. I tried all the way up to the 77.13's and everything else locks up or has major artifacts at my OC. Which is 442 and 1202. The IRQ thing probably wont matter. But would definately try those drivers, if not then go back to the CD.

Well I just don't understand... Prime95 runs flawlessly for hours, Memtest86 completes all tests with out errors, all games run perfectly for hours... but once I start Far Cry the game crash a couple of minutes after I started it.

I have the latest version of the game installed, and I am using the Forceware 76.41 beta drivers... which might be the source of the problems. Its funny, Half Life2 or any other Direct3D games, and all OGL too, run quite well... yet Far Cry does not. :rolleyes:

Anyone has a clue about this... should I try with less overclocking? right now the only thing overclocked in my system is the CPU and RAM, video cards are running stock.

Also, is this the right place to ask such "game" questions?? I believe Angry Games will come and post one of his "charming" messages at me :shake:

Joking, AG always helps :)

Sounds like the same problem i have

Running SLI on the DFI SLI-DR board is a tight squeeze and the cards heat up each other ferociously!!!

try putting a high flow case fan roughly where the SLI bridge is, to blow between the 2.....If heat is a problem your crashing should stop or at least improve. Helps to remove the case side too

BTW i am on the 71.89 drivers

Well changed the overclocking, putting everything at default (200 htt, RAM at default CL2 2 2 7), nothing changed...

Now I try BF2 demo, and if I don't install the 77.30 drivers that come with it, game doesn't start... then when I do install them game start, but it is the same as with Far Cry. 12 minutes of playing and game freezes with sound looping in the speakers, sometimes you need to reset, sometimes the game just crash to desktop.

I tried again with less overclock, and no overclock (system) and nothing.

Chipset temperature reach 50 deg right now, I don't see this can be the cause.

Video cards get both to 65 deg when I look, but I think they are cooler than in the middle of the game... but I don't see this to be the problem either.

Its getting frustrating now.

Arghhh, I really hate nVidia's ability to make video drivers... if they have any abilities doing that I mean :mad:

Well, guess what... I was using High Quality image setting for all games, well aparently some don't like this and crash because of it. Setting it on Quality, the default value, fix the problem.

Really, nVidia can make extremely good chipsets, very good video cards... but when it is a matter of video drivers, they suck!, well if ATI has the same problems with their Crossfire thing with two cards, I will take back what I said about nVidia... but doubt ATI will have the same problems :rolleyes:

Far Cry and BF2 run ok now.

Do you always get the sound looping with each crash? A substandard sound card driver(driver did not support directx 9.0 surround sound) caused sound looping which caused lag, and some crashing for me in HL2. Its a documented case on Valve's support page. I dont know about Far Cry though. Mind you this is just a thought. If I had to guess though Id say its some kind of driver confliction, maybe even with your monitor display settings; refresh rate ect...........