Sign in to follow this  
Col.Howard

Invest in AMD

HAs anybody ever given any thoughts to investing in AMD? Care to comment for/against?

I already invest in AMD via sharebuilder.com

I haven't yet yielded any dividends since started investing in AMD about 3 months ago.

there's a monthly fee (I pay $12) for 6 free scheduled investments. It's a pretty good deal in contrast to other investment sites such as ameritrade. It's expensive to invest in real-time though.

I started off with 500 shares in AMD for a total investment (at the time) of $6,000. Since then, they have doubled to 1,000 and are worth (before taxes and stuff) about $17,000. So far, I am quite happy with the outcome.

as much as we might not like Intel, Intel is a proven moneymaker over time

my uncle's friend bought 100 shares of Intel in 1985 i think, and by 1998 the shares had split and accrued so much value that those initial 100 shares had equaled out to about $1,000,000 give or take a few ten thousands...

Intel has always been a proven moneymaker as I stated, and rarely do they not turn a profit, and in fact they are pretty good about meeting financial estimates.

now i love AMD...but AMD stock has never proven to be a long-term money maker because of the fact they miss their estimates a lot, have many quarters where they are in the red, etc.

that might change (it better...they can't keep bleeding money like this forever) in the future...but in the meantime, MS/Intel are the stocks that are good long term investments