Strange behaviour of OCZ TCCD around 300MHz

I'm quite impressed of how much is possible with this board, yet I encountered some strange curiosities.

My OCZ 4200 EL ran quite fine up to ~275MHz 2.5-3-3-7, using ~2.7V. Then, I found the great guide at XS (guide ) and started tweaking and testing.

With these settings, I was able to maintain my main latencies with this specific voltage up to 285MHz, 290MHz with 2.8V and 295MHz with more cooling to the RAM.

The strange thing now is: I couldn't manage to get 300MHz stable, not even with 3-4-4-8 timings.

Also, my RAM can do 280MHz 2.5-3-3-6 now (while I'm still testing, you never stop in the middle of something right? ;) ) with 2.6V, which I think is impressive for being rated at 263MHz.

I'm using bios 510-2 right now, as for 414 the 1 and 3 versions never really worked for me.

Maybe someone with a good hint? I tried all those things mentioned at XS, played around with different timings but somehow it didn't work out for me. I also raised vldt and vchip 0.1V, yet I don't want to raise it any furhter (my chip is watercooled).

Help woul be greatly appreciated ;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with MemTest, tests #5 and #8. After that is finished, I use various programs to test stability.

Normally starting with 3D 2k5, 3D 2k1 (5 loops), SuperPi 32M, OCCT and finally Prime (StressPrime 2004) using the large FFT test.

Why are you asking for that? Any special idea?

I just finished my rig this last weekend and it was a go from the first push to the start swtich..... :rolleyes:

I used the same guide but was able to bring my memory from 275 to 279 but not any more than that. That was last weekend and I did not have the chance to mess with it after that. It was prime95 stable for 18 hours and it passed super PI and some 3D 2k5, 3D 2k1 :nod: .

My question is there is anbody out there that had these memory OC'd over 300. Please if anybody did, please list your setting and thanks in advance.

Cheers!!!!!!!

@genie: Well, for sure I won't ease up my testing ;) It works like in different stages, so I start off with MemTest until I get to a satisfying setting, then continue with that under windows and see if it's stable there and so on.

@mash: I guess there are people. Hopefully one or two of them show up.

Sure, I do still remember how a friend of mine was flaming at OCZ because he bought like 5 kits 3200 Rev.2, none of them even made 270 or so.

I can understand that not all modules would do 300 2.5-3-3-6 or so, as it's also common knowledge that not every Winchester would do 2.7GHz with ease.

The strange thing I'm talking about is that "normally", as far as I've seen it now, TCCD can go to a certain point with 2.5-3-3-6, but will go a bit further with x-4-4-x. Mine don't, and I'm curious why that is so ;)

And no, I didn't try 2.9 or 3V to be honest. I had really bad experiences with higher voltage to RAMs (normal RAMs and graphic card RAMs), so I set a personal limit and that would be <2.9V.

With this limit, I got to 295MHz 2.5-3-3-6 with 2.86V (2.8V + 0.3V in bios), but I wouldn't reach 300MHz stable with 3-4-4-8.

Guest nomad

You also must take into account your memory controller on your cpu. There has been numbers like 4 out of every 10 Winchesters has good mem controller on it. That is whey they have revised them in the San Diego and Venice cores, and also why you pay a premium for the FX line.

Just food for thought.... :)

Guest nomad

Well, I guess it all boils down to luck. I am testing the ceiling of my 3700 Plats and I am @ 300 2.5-4-4-6 stable and still climbing. Bought them used off a buy, sell, trade website :P

EDIT: Looks like my luck was better than I thought. So far I am at 2.5-4-4-6 @320MHz no errors :D

EDIT #2: Had to go down to 2.5-4-4-8/315 @3.0v. It was flaking out in test #5.