Sign in to follow this  
Gromo

Need Help with new system I'm building, Can't install windows... I am

Hello,

I posted before but you folks said i needed to give you more information about my system. I basically copied the high-end system on the high-end buyer's guide on anandtech.

I got...

Processor Athlon 64 4000+ 90nm (Retail)

Motherboard DFI LANPARTY UT SLI-DR

Memory 2x512MB OCZ EL Platinum Rev 2

Video Card 2 x 6800GT XFX

Hard Drive Seagate 250 GIG Seagate SATA

Optical Drive NEC 16X DVDR 3520A

Case AeroCool Spiral Galaxies

Power Supply Enermax EG565P-VE FMA2.0 SLI 535W

Ok. This is the first time i've ever built a system so I need almost step my step help. I have hooked everything up (seemingly in the right way). I got the two

XFX Geforce 6800 GT's connected with the SLI bridge, and I followed the instructions about how to connect them to the motherboard. Everything else is all hooked up. I haven't really hooked up the extra USB ports and headphone jacks on the spiral galaxies case, but I really don't care about those, I just want to get the thing working.

Here are my problems.

When i start up the computer it seems fine, that is i can go into the BIOS and screw around and stuff. However, when I try to install windows it asks which partition to put the installation on, which is normal. But it says the unpartitioned space is onl 130 GIG, instead of 250 which my hard drive is. So this is kind of weird.

Second, and most important. When I create a new partition and actually start installing windows, the furthest it'll get to is to accept the license agreement. Then, I get the blue screen of death. This happens without fail everytime.

This leads me to believe something is royally messed with my hard drive... The fact that it only recognizes the 130 GIG and then dies when i try to install windows on it points me in this direction? Do i need to use the floppy disk that came with the MOBO? I thought that was only for if I wanted to use RAID. I really need help. I don't know much about technical aspects of the computer. I am really unfamiliar with the BIOS and all the options.

I haven't really changed anything in the BIOS areas, I just left them on whatever the default was. I have no intention of overclocking or doing anything extreme, I just want to get the system working.

Any ideas?

DFI help me!

-Jeff

Oh, also. I am not sure what version of BIOS of it is. I just got everything off Newegg and you know what kind of MOBO i got, so I guess I got the version that comes standard with my type of motherboard.

Thanks for the help anyone :)

First you need to look and see which bios you have, it could be one of a few depending on which revision MB you have.. Second you need to run memtest to verify that you setting are stable enough to install windows.. The HD will prolly not show the correct size until WinXP and the service packs are installed

first you need to make a sig with all components. without that, its like asking a blind person for the time. its alright that the hd only reconizes 130G. you don't have win xp or service packs installed. do you have a minimum of 480W 24 native pin PSU??? There are four connectors on the MOBO. You need to supply power to all of these. What bios are you using. Update the bios. See if that works. or install the bare minimum for setup.

to find out what bios you have, go into your bios settings and disable the logo screen (sorry i cant really remember which menu item its under but i think its the 2nd one down on the left side of bios menu)

Once you have disabled the logo screen, reboot and at the bottom left corner you will see a date; that is your bios version. For example, mine says 3/10/2005 so I have the 310 bios.

I looked at the first thread you started, and it doesn't seem like you followed their advice carefully enough. It is VERY important that you create a sig so others can easily reference it and provide help. Listing your specs in your first post isn't enough because then users have to skip back and forth to see your info which is not convenient at all.

I know you're eager to go ahead with your build and just get something running, but the more time and patience you put into getting it right the first time, the fewer problems you'll run into down the road.

So, first make sure you've made all 4 power connections to the mobo

Then follow dspayre's advice if you need to figure out your bios version and finish making the sig

Then go here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844

and follow that advice until you run into a problem

Once you've done that, post back here (please don't start a new thread) and let us know where you're at and we can proceed to figure out what is wrong with your windows install.

read through the 4th sticky in this forum. the one that ends with updated os install routine. it is extremely helpful in setting up and making sure the system is stable before the os install. with the sata drive you will most like need to use the floppy (i am assuming the floppy you mentioned is the one for raid/sata, even if you are not using a raid setup you still need the 3rd party drivers for the sata drive)and hit f6 during the xp install to load the drivers. someone can correct me if i am wrong

(i am assuming the floppy you mentioned is the one for raid/sata, even if you are not using a raid setup you still need the 3rd party drivers for the sata drive)and hit f6 during the xp install to load the drivers. someone can correct me if i am wrong

if you aren't using raid, you don't need to load the drivers.

~

that's funny, my seagate 250GB 7200.8 SATA showed the full capacity during the windows installation..... odd.

Hello everyone, I updated my signature and got some more information.

First off, it said this when i started up the BIOS. The first one was quickly on the first screen

and the second one came after the logo screen.

nv45 p211 sku44 VGA BIOS 5.40.02.36.08

Sil 3114 SATAraid 5.1.37

I disabled the logo screen in the BIOS and then rebooted and

found the date 3/10/05 in the bottom left part of the screen, so i assume

that would be my bios version. Also, I figured out that I didn't have 2 of the power

connections to my motherboard, so I connected them. I retried installing windows, but

still the same problem as before.

Just to make sure. The 4 power connections are...

1) 24 pin ATX power.

2) 4-pin 12 V power right next to the above

3) 5V/12V 4 pin thing near the big fan

4) small 4 pin 5V/12V in between the place where the processor goes and the PICE1 slot

I have all of these connected. Also, now that I have my BIOS version and whatnot, what is the next step. I am not sure how to run a memtest, so i think i need help with that also.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing your replies!

Some of the nf4 bioses have memtest built into them, but I'm not sure which. Here's how I know how to do it. (edit: check Frallen's post below to use the bios memtest),

You can find memtest here:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Have a formatted floppy disk ready

Select the 3.2 release and then download the precompiled version for windows and dos.

Unzip everything to a temp folder and run the install file.

It will prompt you to select the drive (a) and then to insert the disk.

To run it, just leave the floppy in the drive and reboot. Let it run for 3 full passes (about an hour or so) and if you don't have any errors, then your ram is good.