nf4 - New overclock needs more power

I've only had my new setup a few days but after the initial FSB/HTT/Mem divide/CPU multi/HTT multi confusion i've started testing what it'll do.

Pulled everything down, and ramped the HTT up, 320 seemed stable, 325 was a reset and i backed off to 310 to be sure. Memory was stable (memtest via bios) up to 290, probably further but i was happy with that for the moment. Again i backed off and noted 280 as the stable point. The CPU didn't go so well, reaching 2550 from 2250 stable (20 mins P95).

I didn't run Prime95 extensively, or let memtest loop for 3 or 4 hours. But i figure the 20 mins of testing each coupled with backing off from the top stable speed i had should be enough. Trouble is, when i ramp more than 1 setting up, it becomes unstable very quickly.

As best as i can tell its the PSU i'm using, a Nexus 3500. Its got 1 12V rail with 19A max load, which from what i've read is nowhere near enough. The thing is its nice and quiet and i'll loath to go to anything noisy. So does anyhone have an opionion on this supply or anything esle that qualifies as quiet?

http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/retail_product/greenpower.asp

Its only 400 Watts and not the recommended 480 but i'm not going to run dual 6800GTs at any point, so i figure it might just cope. At least its got 2 12V rails.

I might try hooking in a second PSU to my rig and see what benefits i get, but does it sound reasonable to you guys that it'll clock stable with a new supply? I'm slightly hopefull it might even help the CPU stretch a bit further.

That power supply in yr link is a native 20 pins isnt it? If you upgrade deff get a 24 pins. It says "Green power" and IMO thats not a description yr looking for searching for a PSU to OC with. I would go for OCZ's powerstream 520/600 They arent that loud and will do the job perfectly!

The green power thing is down to the efficiency of the unit, over 85% at load apparently. Its got a pseudo 24 pin connector, a 20 pin with a breakoff 4 pin. I think thats so it can still power P4 boards or whatever one it is that takes the 4 pin plug.

I'll checkout the OCZ but i suspect 'They arent that loud' won't cut it ;-) I guess if i can't find something quiet i'll just have to bear with it, no way i'm sticking at stock speeds :-)

The green power thing is down to the efficiency of the unit, over 85% at load apparently. Its got a pseudo 24 pin connector, a 20 pin with a breakoff 4 pin. I think thats so it can still power P4 boards or whatever one it is that takes the 4 pin plug.

I'll checkout the OCZ but i suspect 'They arent that loud' won't cut it ;-) I guess if i can't find something quiet i'll just have to bear with it, no way i'm sticking at stock speeds :-)

Both my enermax units are quiet and either one would suit your purposes. The 485 watt unit would suffice if you're not going to run SLI though others would tell you more power is better and the safer bet, including myself. Don't know what your idea of quiet is (fanatically anal and want zero niose???) but these puppies are quiet to me. Easily drowned out by any other fan in my system...

All PSU's are not created equal, pick a proven winner.

Couldn't agree more, which is why i think i might get away with the Fortron, seeing as they supply the base units for half the supplies out there, Antec and Nexus being 2 of them IIRC. Having said that, even a good 400W probably isn't up to a reasonably 480W.

Don't know what your idea of quiet is (fanatically anal and want zero niose???) but these puppies are quiet to me. Easily drowned out by any other fan in my system...

heh, yeah well silentpcreview.com was my starting point in the search for a new PSU ;-)

I've turned up this which *should* be the best of both worlds, a nice beefy supply and it'll be pretty quiet too.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/products.php?lineId=9

The 500 version has 16 / 17 on the 12V rails, a 24pin connector as well as 2 SLI plugs, not that my 6600GT needs them but it'll be nice in case i upgrade later.

Couldn't agree more, which is why i think i might get away with the Fortron, seeing as they supply the base units for half the supplies out there, Antec and Nexus being 2 of them IIRC. Having said that, even a good 400W probably isn't up to a reasonably 480W.

heh, yeah well silentpcreview.com was my starting point in the search for a new PSU ;-)

I've turned up this which *should* be the best of both worlds, a nice beefy supply and it'll be pretty quiet too.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/products.php?lineId=9

The 500 version has 16 / 17 on the 12V rails, a 24pin connector as well as 2 SLI plugs, not that my 6600GT needs them but it'll be nice in case i upgrade later.

Antec subcontracts to Channelwell, not Fortron.

The Seasonic S-12's are highly recommended, the 600W being ideal for SLI with the new 150W VC's. :nod:

Antec subcontracts to Channelwell, not Fortron.

I stand corrected ;-)

I'll probably hold off a week or 2, theres more chance of me going with the 600 that way. The last thing i want is to have to chance PSU again in a years time.

Thanks for the help guys