My DFI has flatlined my redline....

Oh man am I p**sed off, this is the second time this has happened with two different lots of ram (Mushkin and OCZ).

My DFI mobo has very kindly killed my brand new Mushkin Redline.

This has happened before with some OCZ VX PC4000 I had, except on that occasion it killed both sticks, this time its feeling generous and has let me off with just the one. :rolleyes:

I HAVE STAYED WITHIN VOLTAGE SPEC, and have 6 fans cooling the dimms.

The first time it happened I just put it down to bad luck, but twice?

In between the VX and the Mushkin, I have been using TCCD with no real problems, other than it doesn't like anything over 2.7v (higher gives memtest errors). i put this down to the memory but it seems strange.

Angry / RGone what’s going on here guys??????, I have done nothing wrong and again I now have to RMA my ram (most likely at my cost...AGAIN...and most likely gonna take weeks AGAIN).

What are the chance of getting my mobo swapped out?, to be honest I just don't trust it anymore. Its is still under warranty, only few months old.

Your comments/thoughts are very welcome.

Yours, a very brassed off DFI user.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RGone, its not cold boot, its dead as a dead thing on a dead day.

I tried the stick in two differant PC's in various dimm slots, etc, it no worky anymore.

Are you trying to say that this is normal and should be expected? This ram is like 2 days old and cost me 200 quid.

"Memory Death:

We use two stages of linear regulators to generate the VDIMM on the DFI NF4 motherboard.

1st regulator from the psu’s 3.3v or 5v line to VDIMM sets the target voltage to 4.1v, or 3.2v (depending on what how the J17 jumper is configured). The 2nd regulator controls VDIMM voltage to the memory modules themselves.

Explanation as follows:

In 3.3v source jumper mode, the 1st regulator will output 3.3v to the 2nd regulator. The 2nd regulator handles the voltage output to the memory modules. (2.5v-3.2v)

In 5v source jumper mode, the 1st regulator will output 4.1v to the 2nd regulator. Then the 2nd regulator will handle the output to the memory modules. (2.5v-4.0v).

ATTENTION:

The DRAM voltage as originally supported by the spec is up to 2.85v only. Jumper J17 allows you to select beyond the defined spec. Although the function is supported (at the hardware level), selecting a higher voltage may cause unstable current supplied to the system board which may subsequently cause damage to the CPU and DIMMs

(copied from the warning sheet supplied with the DFI NF4 motherboard concerning the J17 5v jumper and also found on page 9 of later revision NF4 motherboards (A02 and later))"

Fantastic, the old small print get out clause. Thats like selling a car to someone, and having in the small print "by the way we are not responsible if the wheels come off at high speeds, its entirely your own fault it you die due to a "no wheel related, technical issue".

So basically I'm buggered then, and I dare say this thread will be closed and you will have lost another customer. Which is a shame because barring the Vdimm issue, this is one of the best mobos I have used to date and up until now I had thought this forum and support was great too.

Guest burningrave101

I dont know if its the DFI boards that are killing the RAM or the fact the RAM itself isn't capable of actually handling that higher voltage even though its rated for it. RAM manufacturers have started selling these high voltage DIMMs because they can make alot of money on it in the enthusiest market but are the UTT/CH-5/BH-5 chips actually capable of sustaining those kinds of voltages even with adequate cooling? I dont know. It seems more likely to be a motherboard issue but who knows. I personally will not be using any high voltage RAM and the 5V setting until someone figures this out.

Well on the plus side I emailed Mushkin for help, and they have emailed me back within 10 minutes with an offer of RMA. Hows that for service.

I think when the new ATI board comes out I will be jumping ship, I can't afford for this to keep happening... sorry DFI. I guess when someone else has a high voltage mobo on the market we will see once and for all if it is the board or memory.

How long did it take for your memory to die on you?

I've had no problems running my ram at 3.3v at 200FSB for weeks now, it's been rock stable. I also have one 80mm fan cooling the vdimm, and i've used the 4v jumper trick.

Which jumper setting were you using?

"Memory Death:

We use two stages of linear regulators to generate the VDIMM on the DFI NF4 motherboard.

1st regulator from the psu’s 3.3v or 5v line to VDIMM sets the target voltage to 4.1v, or 3.2v (depending on what how the J17 jumper is configured). The 2nd regulator controls VDIMM voltage to the memory modules themselves.

Explanation as follows:

In 3.3v source jumper mode, the 1st regulator will output 3.3v to the 2nd regulator. The 2nd regulator handles the voltage output to the memory modules. (2.5v-3.2v)

In 5v source jumper mode, the 1st regulator will output 4.1v to the 2nd regulator. Then the 2nd regulator will handle the output to the memory modules. (2.5v-4.0v).

ATTENTION:

The DRAM voltage as originally supported by the spec is up to 2.85v only. Jumper J17 allows you to select beyond the defined spec. Although the function is supported (at the hardware level), selecting a higher voltage may cause unstable current supplied to the system board which may subsequently cause damage to the CPU and DIMMs

(copied from the warning sheet supplied with the DFI NF4 motherboard concerning the J17 5v jumper and also found on page 9 of later revision NF4 motherboards (A02 and later))"

Fantastic, the old small print get out clause. Thats like selling a car to someone, and having in the small print "by the way we are not responsible if the wheels come off at high speeds, its entirely your own fault it you die due to a "no wheel related, technical issue".

So basically I'm buggered then, and I dare say this thread will be closed and you will have lost another customer. Which is a shame because barring the Vdimm issue, this is one of the best mobos I have used to date and up until now I had thought this forum and support was great too.

I don't know about small print, it was in some bold type in the manual on mine, and there was also a sheet of paper in the box detailing how to switch j17 and that had a warning in bold. I don't know if you already RMA'd it, but the OCZ you have comes with a lifetime warranty, so as long as you were under 3.5+/- V spec you should be able to get it replaced with some new ram. Good luck on getting your rig up!

as Atomic says, its in the manual and in a separate sheet that comes with the board saying you take a risk running more than 2.85v

just because we offer the voltage to you doesn't mean you should use it or that it will be 100% safe

i mean come on, a Corvette goes 160mph, but doing 160mph is pretty dangerous don't ya think? and who says the engine won't overheat or conk out @ 160mph?

im not gonna close your thread, but we prefer you to post in the sticky at the top

if you want an RMA on your board then use the email link in my sig and I'll help you out.

Guys, I'm sorry if I ranted a little, but I hope you can understand how I feel.

Angry, thank you.

I don't know if its my specific board that has a problem or what? But I know I don't have faith in this particular board anymore, and I would appreciate a swap out as like i say this is the second time.

What details would I need to provide you with AG? And I will drop you an email with relevant stuff.

Pete.