29 hours Prime stable, Quake crashing...

I have a LP UT nF4 SLI-D, AMD 64 3200+, geforce 6600 GT, 520W OCZ power supply.

Now to give you a heads up, I'm a noob to OCing, but my friend has been OCing for years. He configured, built, and OCed my new pc for me. We got it to run prime95 for 29 hours straight, no problems. According to prime it's stable.

However, Quake 3 Arena, and Doom3 are crashing on me for some reason. When it crashes, I recieve an error report from Windows saying, there's been an error, do you want to send report. I can immediately go right back into Quake w/no problems. The crashing is sporadic. Sometimes I can play for 15 minutes b4 a crash, other times it's close to an hour.

Any ideas why, or what I should look for to help determine the problem?

Well, you have to realise that the way the FPU is being utilised for Prime95 is not the same as Q3/D3. Prime95 is basically factoring a very large number in search for a prime. Thats about all. It may utilitised SSE2 to speed up calculations.

For Games, the FPU is mainly used to calculate coordinates for the wireframe model. There is also the game AI which places additional load on the CPU (I think AI is Integer based).

Due to the way the CPU is being utilised, it doesn't mean your CPU is prime95 stable, its D3 stable. There is also the RAM. Which Prime95 test you run? Small TT or Large?

Never Ever Think of Prime95 as the holy grail for system stability. Prime95 stable means nothing. I have experience myself that systems are capable of running Prime95 TT straight for 3 days and crashes in UT2004 as well as when running Video encoding. I even seen IE giving errors when Prime95 is running.....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a LP UT nF4 SLI-D, AMD 64 3200+, geforce 6600 GT, 520W OCZ power supply.

Now to give you a heads up, I'm a noob to OCing, but my friend has been OCing for years. He configured, built, and OCed my new pc for me. We got it to run prime95 for 29 hours straight, no problems. According to prime it's stable.

However, Quake 3 Arena, and Doom3 are crashing on me for some reason. When it crashes, I recieve an error report from Windows saying, there's been an error, do you want to send report. I can immediately go right back into Quake w/no problems. The crashing is sporadic. Sometimes I can play for 15 minutes b4 a crash, other times it's close to an hour.

Any ideas why, or what I should look for to help determine the problem?

Are you using the Nvidia IDE drivers? If so ditch'em.

Alright, I'm going to adjust the memory settings some but like you've all noticed, I'm a noob, so I was hoping y'all could be a little more specific on how to make the CPU and RAM adjustments.

How do I find out if I'm using IDE drivers? I'm pretty sure I'm not but how do I confirm?

Also, how do I determine which Prime95 test I'm running?

Is there anything else y'all want to know? And like I said, could y'all give me some specifics on what to try next to find stability.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate all the help. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok!!! I have some news. It looks as though the memory stick in slot #2 was bad so I took the other 256 of mem and put it in the #2 slot and so far I've only had 2 crashes in the last 100+ hours of operation. I think we may found the problem. I'm replacing the memory now but I had a question for y'all.

I've heard rumor that the NF4 SLI-D mobo is burning up memory in the #2 slot. Is this true? If so, what can be done about it? Once again, I appreciate your help.

Nothing but a rumor started by a noob that didn't know what he was talking about.

There's nothing to see here, move along!

I've heard rumor that the NF4 SLI-D mobo is burning up memory in the #2 slot. Is this true? If so, what can be done about it? Once again, I appreciate your help.

• 5 months later...

Question. Does anyone have any idea why I keep having my mem go bad. I have been away from PC for the past few months but I'm back for now and I just discovered that I have had yet another stick of mem go bad. The last post said it was just a rumor about this mobo burning up mem but mine sure seems to be doing just that. Has anyone spent anytime coming up with dram configs for this mobo that are consistently stable?

Question. Does anyone have any idea why I keep having my mem go bad. I have been away from PC for the past few months but I'm back for now and I just discovered that I have had yet another stick of mem go bad. The last post said it was just a rumor about this mobo burning up mem but mine sure seems to be doing just that. Has anyone spent anytime coming up with dram configs for this mobo that are consistently stable?

stock speed database and overclocking database

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here. But I recently read about some bios settings that may or may not be causing some of your problems.

http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=310

and

http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=308

They relate to both Errata 123 Enhancement and Errata 94 Enhancement, respectively.

If you update to your latest bios, you should have the option to enable or disable these. Auto is the setting that I used.

After reading about these, I visited my bios and noticed that Errata 123 enhancement was disabled which is fine. I also noticed that errata 94 enhancement was enabled already for me. I just thought that I would test the auto function of the errata 94 so I set it to auto and rebooted. When I revisted the bios, the option was set back to enable.

It detected I was running an effected CPU (athlon fx type), and enabled it for me.

Perhaps these games and applications are triggering the bug! Hopefully I help someone because this forum has helped me alot. I haven't been a member for very long, but I sure have been coming here alot and reading many many tips.

I also just want to tell you that I was having trouble setting up my RAID 0 using the F6 Driver until I found that the DFI support was bad. There website shows an old v1.0 of the F6 driver available for download. There is an updated version that fixes freezing when you use the original 1.0 driver.

The updated version 1.5 NF4 raid f6 driver can be found here.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/driver...ies=1&model=246

You can see it on this page labelled as "NvRAID Installation Disk for Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003"

It appears on this page because aparently DFI don't keep their support section as updated as ABIT does with their Fatal1ty AN8 SLi. :)

• 2 weeks later...

time for update... I think I figured out that the g.skill mem I was running last didn't like my voltage being as high as I had it. I finally burned up both sticks so I've moved on. I'm currently running a single stick of 512 PNY mem that I bought for super cheap @ CompUSA. This is a temporary fix until my new mem shows up. I just bought G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory. I love newegg. Once you know....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231021

I'll keep you updated on how this new mem works out for me.