Sign in to follow this  
Nudnik

29 hours Prime stable, Quake crashing...

Are you running an official copy of windows???

I tried to cut corners on a system build once and installed an "ahem" copy of xp a friend gave me ;)......

I was plagued with crashes so i installed my licenced copy and everything was fixed!!

certainly all these crashes u r getting may have corrupted your install anyway.

If a re-install doesnt work then i'm afraid that overclock is simply unstable. and u should just start from scratch

i use 76.41 beta drivers on my 6600GT's. I also use 6.53 chipset drivers for my mobo.

if your board is prime95/memtest stable but wont run games, it is usually a driver that is causing the problem (not always, but about 99% of the time)

do you use the nvidia ide drivers? just wondering because i'm having slightly similiar issues as the thread author but i'm still using the original cd drivers and the lastest official video drivers.

do you use the nvidia ide drivers? just wondering because i'm having slightly similiar issues as the thread author but i'm still using the original cd drivers and the lastest official video drivers.

i only use the NV IDE drivers when running RAID

delete adaware run a registry cleaning program toremove all traces and reinstall adaware?

are you checking what it is removing? it might be removing something critical.

What would be a good example of a "registry cleaning program?"

Regseeker is another you can google. I've been using it for quite a while and it has always worked perfectly every time.

OK, we are stable all the way around. I changed the settings to 265*10, and she is as stable as the day is long. I haven't had a crash since the change. It's been a week now. She is 24 hours Prime stable. I'm thinking I may have fixed it for now. I still plan on trying to OC some more to see what I can pump out of her, but it seems that the *9 multiplier and the *8.5 multiplier just won't run stable. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you up to date if things change.

The .5 multis are known to cause errors in space/time. This will throw the calculations off by about one in a billion but that's just enough with the clock speed of these processors.

It wasn't much of a problem on older processors since they weren't running that fast. With the higher clock speeds the error no longer creeps but actually crawls up on you.

It's not so bad if you are paying attention but if you let your mind wander you are busted. One of my friends simply vanished while surfing the internet. His wife said he never left the house so we started looking at his rig. Sure enough the muliti was set with a .5.

I ran home and grabbed my Time Domain Reflectometer. After a few minutes of serching we were able to find him and clear the CMOS. Once we rebooted everything was fine again.

Hope that answers your question.

Well, I've had constant BSOD's upon closing UT 2004. Memtest would run for hours no errors, Prime ran well too. But it always BSOD, when I closed UT 2004. So I lived with it for awhile. Then one day I decied to pour the power to the ram, so I went into the Bios and bumped the volts to 3.4 from 3.3. I rebooted to Cold Boot Glory, Horray!!! I applied the 3.3 mod and bumped it to 3.4 [email protected] 230 X 10 running in the Yellow Slots. Memtest Errors on every loop on test 5 ( Between 2-20 errors per pass), Prime fails 30-60 min. I fire up UT 2004 play for hours, no crashing during the gaming. So nervously I decide to close UT and brace for the crash and reboot. OMG, 2 weeks straight now crash free @ 2.3 GHz on my 3200+. I've run Far Cry, Doom 3, CS and UT 2004 Flawless but I can't run Prime and memtest for 30-60 minutes Hmmm, ???????

I can't figure it out, but I'm a Gamer. So she's stayin' on these setting no matter what Prime or Memtest says.

I have not had one glitch, Crash, Bsod or Lock Up for 2 weeks now so I'm happy.

Plus the system goes like snot at 2,2,2,8 @ 2.3 GHz.

you might wanna back off on the mem voltage for the G.Skill LE. I think even 2.9 is pushing it. The powersupply should be fine since I use the same PSU and I've been OCing everything since I've had the system since May. For the TCCD memories, you might want to take a closer look at the following link: http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/show...6950#post446950

confirm the settings you have with the settings that are suggested by the following link. If you really want to hunt down the stability issue, you have to change one setting at a time, run stability test and determine if it increased or decreased your stability.

If your memory is in fact TCCD, I would seriously look into dropping that voltage down to around 2.8V. And like the guide says, look into active cooling when you start pushing your memory timings/fsb.

Finally, I am stupid and just another noob that got lucky when it comes to overclocking, so it may be wise to ignore this next comment: I noticed that on my 6800GT, When PCI bus was set to 100MHz I would get sprotes/crashes in 3Dmark05, however, when I pushed the PCI Bus to 102MHz, I was able to get rid of the sprites and the OC on my vid card finally acted stably.

As a side note, 3dmark01 is not going to catch the problems that 3dmark05 will catch, I believe that it is useful to run both as a measure of stability (It was the only way for me to check stabilities that neither superPI, nor 3dmark01/03 picked up).

As a favor, could the more experienced members check the accuracy of my post and respond quickly with any incongruities in my post; considering my nooberity when responding meanly ;-)

I've now got her stable at 268 x 10. I'm still trying to break the 2.7 mark but so far she can't handle it. I will say however, she is a beast of machine and she runs like a champ.

I love my PC. But not as much as I love my girlfriend. Sorry I had to get sappy but my GF read an article I wrote for q3machines.net where I made a stupid comment about lieing to my girlfriend. So I figured I would make up for it here.