Sign in to follow this  
GRIdpOOL

XP x64 Installs

Windows XP 64bit runs great. I've been running it since a couple days after it was put on the MSDN, never did have a beta version though. Driver support is limited, but I designed my system with components that I knew had driver support. And even though all the Nvidia drivers are still beta, it still works perfectly (MB & Video card). My system is more stable than it was under Win XP Pro, in my admittedly qualitative opinion.

As for app compatibility, almost every app I've installed is 32bit and they all run just fine, save one. The sole problem I have is that Symantec hasn't released a 64bit compatible version of Antivirus yet (other than Corporate 8.1 supposedly will run, but I don't have that version). So opening email attachments is kinda scary :eek: .

Due to the anti-virus thing, I wouldn't run it in a business setting unless your AV software has 64bit support. For home use for an enthusiast, I think its fine if you check for driver support first.

Been on it since beginning of April. (Thanks for the nudge londondeejayz).

No issues at all with x64 Edition other than WinRAR.

A dual boot is definately the way to go. I truely can't think of a single good reason NOT to order the Trial to mess around with it.

picked up around 700 points in 3D01. :)

The sole problem I have is that Symantec hasn't released a 64bit compatible version of Antivirus yet (other than Corporate 8.1 supposedly will run, but I don't have that version). So opening email attachments is kinda scary :eek:

Symantec Client 3.0 does indeed have a 64bit version. AV only, not firewall. It's hidden on one of the CDs... Not sure if there is any other way to get it. I'm just lucky that my employer provides it for use on home computers also....

x64 is awesome. Drivers are getting better and better.

Seriously though, my 3Dmark scores are the same now. The latest Nvidia 64-bit beta driver is awesome.

x64 boots up so much faster than XP. It doesn't even make it across the bootup "Windows" x64 scroll. I'm up and running and at the login screen in a couple of seconds.

Software that is 64-bit, which I'm using:-

AVAST AntiVirus

Firefox

SisoftSandra

PowerStrip

FarCry

CloneDVD

----------------------------------

Diskeeper 9 does not work, there isn't a 64-bit version and the 32-bit is stuffed.

Nero are about to release a 64-bit version

The system overall just seems so much faster. It feels like someone has put a turbo charger on the OS. I formatted my HDD's etc and did a fresh install of bost OS's, and x64 just seems so much faster. It runs pretty much everything I wont, and now I've got all of the drivers that I require.

It's a good thing, definitely worth a try!

hey Moocow do you know why Avast uses so many resources? it has like 3 or 4 process' that use ~17mb each. also i have Nero6 running no problems here although it'd be nice to see what the 64bit version will be like.

BeachedSapper, i use a DOD(Department of Defense) issue of Symantec A/V but don't know what version. that Symantec Client 3.0 your talking about is it just the A/V or a suite? that way i know if it's worth my time checking my disc for the 64bit. i'd rather use that then the Avast since it uses way less resources on my standard XP install.

hey Moocow do you know why Avast uses so many resources? it has like 3 or 4 process' that use ~17mb each. also i have Nero6 running no problems here although it'd be nice to see what the 64bit version will be like.

BeachedSapper, i use a DOD(Department of Defense) issue of Symantec A/V but don't know what version. that Symantec Client 3.0 your talking about is it just the A/V or a suite? that way i know if it's worth my time checking my disc for the 64bit. i'd rather use that then the Avast since it uses way less resources on my standard XP install.

Same here. I get mine from AKO and there are several options. I used to DL the Client AV/Firewall Combo Package-Single File version. However, if you get the Symantec Client Security 3.0/ AV and Firewall Complete CD 4 (it's over 324MB), somewhere in that zip is a folder called SAVWin64. It's AV only, no Firewall but that doesn't bother me since I'm behind two hardware/software firewalls already.

No issues at all with x64 Edition other than WinRAR.

winrar works perfectly...it just doesnt integrate into the shell properly

I use an advance of Norton Anti-Virus x64 and it is working pretty damn good (i guess...test machines rarely see much public network traffic)

I use an advance of Norton Anti-Virus x64 and it is working pretty damn good (i guess...test machines rarely see much public network traffic)

I think that is the same program that ships with the Corprate Client software... Could be wrong though....

Does the version of Symantec A/V that you run, install all of the liveupdate/liveadvisor crap? I stopped using NAV long ago as it took up too much resources. :) Maybe its time for me to look into something else. Mind you Avast is completely free.

winrar works perfectly...it just doesnt integrate into the shell properly

Yes, exactly - sorry for the poorly phrased post.