Sign in to follow this  
misteranime

USB Device causes freeze at boot on nF4

I'm setting up a new system, and having a bit of trouble with the USB on my Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D. While it works fine when I'm in Windows, I have to plug the devices in after booting up, since if they are plugged in when I power the system on, it hangs at the "Lanparty" splash that appears right away. Removing the device and restarting allows the system to boot normally. I've tried a few things, like enabling/disabling USB mouse/keyboard/etc in BIOS, changing USB power from 5V to 5VSB, but still no dice. Anyone have any ideas so I don't have to keep unplugging and replugging my USB devices all the time?

without knowing what is in your system, we can't help you.

please read carefully:

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

Sorry about forgetting to put in my specs. The problem occurs with any USB device I plug in, from my Saitek Gamer Keyboard, to my Logitech MX500, to my deskjet.

I had the same identical problem.

I spoke with a guy named Frank Wong from DFI. I told him my problems.

He sort of was in disbelief and rendered me moot.

I emailed him, he said he needed to contact overseas.

I gave him a few days and he did not respond.

Here is the message from him dated Fri 4/29/2005 2:40 PM.

Joshua,

It’s strange. We keep using the USB (Logitech) mouse to test the LP NF4 Ultra-D all the time with no problem. Please tell us the hardware configuration of your system so we can try to reproduce the symptom here. I also Cc this message to DFI H/Q. They’ll check it out for us too.

Thanks and have a great weekend

Frank Wong

Technical Support Manager

DFI San Jose

510-274-8000x115

Its been a month since his supposed "I will get back to you" email and no word from ANYONE from DFI.

I am waiting to see who steps up to the plate and actually helps me out.

I had the same problem and started using the official 3/10 bios. that took care of it. I am now using the 4/14-3 and still have no problem with my usb devices.

What he said> I had the same problem and started using the official 3/10 bios.

RGone...

Similar problem with my rig. Thought I'd sorted it by switching off USB 2.0 in the BIOS so I finally upgraded to XP SP2. After 2 weeks of trouble free boot ups, the same issue is back with a vengeance :O(

Microsoft USB KB

Kensington USB Mouse

Microsoft Gamevoice

Microsoft ForceFeedback2

HP Deskjet

Changing +5VSB made no difference, currently running RAM at 2.9V.

Steady as a rock when I finally get it booted up, which normally involves rotating the USB devices through the available ports and letting Windows PnP install.

Keeping my eyes open now for some thoughts as to what the problem could be. Next step is complete reinstall of XP with current USB devices.

similar problem here. Whenever I plug in an internal card reader via the usb header, the system freezes after the boot-up screen. No problem with other usb devices (keyboard, game controller, usb hub) plugged into the back plate, though. Strange.

I experienced something similar to this when I installed a USB to XBox controller adaptor.

What in fact did was cause the memory check to take absolutely ages. It did eventually boot.

All I do is plug it in after boot and all is fine.

As regards other USB stuff that doesn't cause ME a problem -

MS Bluetooth Desktop Elite - the BT adaptor

Lian-Li USB CR-03 drive bay card reader (with or without cards in it).

Paul.