Sign in to follow this  
Marthaias

nF4 Ultra-D - reboot loops

Alright, so I tried those settings. A little better. I can get past loading pool data now. I think however that the GRUB loader is messed, so I've been trying to boot a winxp CD to reinstall the MBR. However, it will only get to the initial "setpu is examining your hardware configuration". After that, the screen blanks, and a short while after, the hard drive activity light seems to turn on permanently.

I also tried running with one stick, and doing that let me flash to the 3-10 BIOS. I'm running memtest right now just to see if anything's wrong.

Oh, another note, I also tried disabling CPC as per the memory guide on the forums - again no such luck.

Any other ideas, or am I SOL without getting new ram?

EDIT: Another addition. It may be because of the speed, but I put a single 256 meg stick of PC2700 DDR into the furthest orange slot from the CPU, and upon boot I get the constant repeating long beeps.

I've noticed something else too. I can get a different motherboard for cheaper than memory to work with this piece of crap.

Sorry, I am just getting very frustrated. Memtest has been running for a while now in single channel, no errors.

Another update:

I found an old IDE harddrive I had with a partially corrupt, but still bootable version of Linux on it. Unplugged cdrom drive, plugged in the IDE drive, and it boots that drive fine. I'm going to try to get my old motherboard up and running and see if perhaps my old hard drives have somehow become corrupted...

and when it does, windows boot process hangs.
Not surprised since you said the drives have an Operating system from a P4 rig loaded. If you do not tweak that memory and add some voltage in the 3.0 volt range as it is likely BH-5 then you will remain mired in no boot forever.

You might do well to consider you another board for less than ram if you feel that way really as it will take a light touch to make the boards go. I had rather you get another board and go on with putering than fight what you cannot or will not invest in to win. It really is that simple. Or written another way> most who come here seeking help have been on basically plug and pray boards and have to adjust to tweak to fly. Failure to adjust thinking around that bit of information is to doom you to heart ache.

RGone...

Another update:

It boots! :D

Apparently I must have had a cable loose on my CDROM or some such. With RGone's settings, after I disconnected and reconnected the CDROM, it boots flawlessly, 4.6k 3dmark 2k5, 10k 3dmark 2k3.

I ran memtest on the kingston stuff with Rgone's settings, it checked out. So I loaded optimized defaults, ran it again, checked out.

I'm surprised it was something so little, but I'm glad it's working.

Now all I'm wondering is....I'd like to get my ram a little tighter. It's rated for [email protected], and I think with optimized it's running 2.5-3-3-7 or something. So what I'm wondering is, from the optimized defaults, where's the best place to start tightening from?