Sign in to follow this  
Marthaias

nF4 Ultra-D - reboot loops

So. I am having incredible troubles getting my new motherboard to boot completely. It will reach the LanParty logo screen fine. I get three red lights initially, then the fourth one flashes a couple of times, then it counts down 3, 2, 1 (beep) and the logo comes up. Tends to take somewhat of a long time but that's beside the point.

It detects my CDROM and two SATA drives fine. Then comes the problem. Right after it is finished detecting PCI devices (with the long list of devices displayed on the screen), it stops. Nothing happens for about 5 seconds, and then the board reboots on its own, and will continue in this same loop seemingly indefinitely.

Strangely enough...on /occasion/ I've managed to actually get past this, and through the DMI data and CMOS save portion. This happened the first time I booted the machine, and I got into windows fine. However, every time after that when I managed to get past detecting PCI devices, it would have problems.

My computer is dual-booting XP home and Gentoo Linux, so it's using the GRUB bootloader. In those rare times when I get into the bootloader, if I choose windows, the entire system will hang with no response whatsoever. If I choose Linux, I get a crc checksum error, and the system halts - suggesting possibly a bad hard drive? (I doubt it though, I was using the HD fine right before I started putting together the system)

I've tried nearly everything. Disconnecting all fans to make sure the power supply was adaquate, doing the CMOS clear, I even attempted to flash the BIOS, however this board won't often even get to the point where it attempts to boot from the floppy.

Help, please? This is so incredibly frustrating, I do not want to have to RMA anything in my system that I've waited a month for. :drool:

EDIT: One other thing to note. Those hard drives were swapped out of my other machine, which was P4 based, if that makes any difference.

Ah....wonderful.

I don't think I have any more even halfway decent memory sitting around. And of course I /really/ don't want to have to spend more money on RAM. But I'll see what I can do...rather disappointing that this highly-acclaimed board would have compatibility problems with what I consider to be a pretty popular brand of ram...

That will be difficult....none of my friends have anywhere near up-to-date computers. :rolleyes:

But...say for a minute the memory was not the culprit. What might be the problem other than that?

Marthaias -

I had BOOT Loop issues with two differenct DFI Nf4 Ultra D boards and NEITHER were using Kingston RAM. My RAM was Corsair C25 and G.skill 4400 LE.

Try putting one stick of RAM in the upper orange slot DDR 2 and try to BOOT at around 225 x 10.

Try with 1.50 v on the CPU and 2.8 v on the RAM.

sparx

Ut oh-

You need to read some of the earlier threads here on set up of the ultra D.

You aren't going to get that rig to BOOT by installing "Optimized Defaults" and running on "AUTO" settings.

Let me see if I can find the thread you need to study.

sparx

Do excuse my lack of terminology knowledge - I'm just getting into the overclocking scene. 225x10?

225 is the FSB (HTT) and 10 is the CPU multiplier.

sparx

Thanks a bunch Sparx. I'm at work right now, but I will try that when I get home. Those settings, from looking at them, seem like they might explain the behavior for sure. To me, it doesn't seem like a physical hardware issue, since the way it reacts is so incredibly sporadic.

By the way...another thing. If this memory /does/ end up giving me problems, does anyone have a reccomendation for another good brand? I will likely do some overclocking, but I'm not looking to do a crazy amount yet, I don't want to risk frying anything. :P