nForce4 Ultra-D Onboard NIC DEAD

As of yesterday I am unable to get the onboard NIC to connect to any network. It won't obtain an IP addres and if I put an IP address in manually, it freezes the computer. I did get it to go without freezing the computer one time but the icon in the tray kept changing back and forth between 'obtaining an ip address' and 'cable disconnected'

I've tried connected to two different DHCP servers (Router and Cable Modem.) I've also switched the network cable and ports. The onboard Marvell card works, but I'm pretty sure this works over PCI instead of right to the chipset, hurting overall performance. Also, I just don't like the idea that my NIC is broken. Thanks for any help.

ok you seem to be having the same problem I had the other week....

after a couple of weeks using a new xp config with SP2, the network fails to wanna get an IP adress. it is not your motherboard.

download this and install it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

see if it helps u.

if not try connecting via USB

if not then uninstall SP2.

this is a horrible problem and took lots of tech support calls for me to finally fix.

Below: Notice in my first post I said I've tried switching the network cable and the port it went into on the router. Neither fixed it.

Davos: Tried to install that and it didn't work. I also don't think that is the problem because I didn't change anything at the time it stopped working. I also formatted and installed as I have 2 or 3 other times with the exact same settings as before and it doesn't work.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...53&postcount=11

(works the same for NF4 also tho the MAC address might be on the actual LAN port instead of on a sticker since there is no AGP slot)

I don't know what you were pointing me to in those links. Manually entering a mac address didn't do anything. What could possibly cause this? Does DFI have any kind of advanced exchange? I would like to get this fixed but I'm not willing to go without my computer for 3 weeks while they send me a new one.

there is no advanced replacement from DFI. Too many customers have hosed us by never sending the boards and even when we had their CC# they ended up getting a chargeback from their bank so we stopped doing advanced replacements.

takes about 7-10 days for an RMA'd board to get back to you if you live in USA

make sure you are using either Nvidia chispet drivers 6.53 or 6.37

6.39 = hoses the NV LAN

I'm on the drivers that came on the DFI CD I got with my board back in like March. I'm downloading the 6.37 drivers as I write this. Hopefully that'll fix it. I've had no problems with this board so far and have recommended it to several people who are happy with it as well.

ok, I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. Explorer locks up when I try to uninstall or reinstall ethernet drivers. I got them installed in safe mode without networking support, but when I got back into normal mode, it still doesn't work. I guess I'll try safe mode with networking, just for kicks. Where does the RMA go to?

The card doesn't even show up in safe mode. It continues to hang device manager when I try to change settings in standard windows. I tried loading optimized default and it still doesn't go. Anything else to try before I pack this thing up?

sorry to hijack the thread..

but A_G you say that 6.39 chipset drivers are rubbish? im in the middle of downloading them at the moment lol. would you recommend 6.37 instead??