Sign in to follow this  
lytalbayre

PRIME 95 Bug? or System instability....

Okay, view my sig for system specs.

Running prime 95 I randomly get a rounding error (after anywhere from 20 minutes to 6hrs)... I noticed when I come back to find this that my virus software pc cillin has attempted to download updates and the little pop-up window is asking for confirmation.... didn't think anything of this being related to prime 95 until the 3rd instance where i came to find prime failed and the little trend micro pop-up.... so I decided to test...

I disabled the internet and the trend micro's real-time scan.... and viola!! I was able to run the torture test blend/and small ftt indefinately (small ftt past 24hrs, blend around 16hrs).

So, I guess my question is:

Is this a bug(does the realtime scan trip up prime testing) or does this indicate my system is unstable????

Thanks.

It sounds like general instability. You're fine running prime, but multitasking is putting on too much strain.

For a while, I was 24+ hours stable, but going in and out of screensaver too fast would crash.

I don't think it's a bug.

Multitasking should put no more strain on a 100% loaded CPU

Prime95 runs low priority too, so the multitasking technically shouldn't effect it.

If prime runs fine when other software isn't running, then fails with this other software running I think you would have to investigate OS or software issues.

This from the voice of not much experience - so get a second opinion...please. But the basis of problem solving is look for differences in conditions, and those differences could well poin to the cause of failure.

Regards,

Mildman