Sign in to follow this  
passionne

Using a 2nd graphic card in the 2nd PCI-e port

Hello,

I try to make 2 Leadtek 6800 Ultra work in SLI, without any success.

So I use only the one located in the top PCI-Express port.

But I would like to use the other one located in the bottom PCI-e port, without unpluging it : as soon as I want to test the bottom card, I would like to change the DVI screen plug and choose the bottom card with software. I don't want to physically move the cards since they are watercooled and linked by a plug and it is not convenient at all if I remove the 2 cards : I will have to keep the top card in my hand while the bottom one will be in the the 1st PCI-e port.

So, do I have to change a bios parameter ? Otherwise, what must I do in Windows XP to switch on the bottom card ?

Thanks.

I changed the motherboard jumpers as explained in the manual to enable SLI mode.

When I boot, the bios information, DFI logo and Windows XP Professional title appear. But when booting in Windows XP SP1, there is a black screen. I am sure that Windows boots since I hear the music boot and the programs sounds when they start automatically.

My screen is a flat panel : Videoseven L20CM, 20.1''.

My Forceware is 76.45

My motherboard is DFI nF4 SLI-D

I made the following tests :

- screen DVI plug into the 3 other graphic cards DVI plugs : always the problem.

- change DVI by VGA connector : same problem.

- test each card independently : each one works in single VGA mode.

- change "SLI broadcast aperture" parameter in Bios : same problem.

- I checked the graphic cards bios version, it is the same (05.40.02.32.00) and they are both SLI-certified.

Someone suggested that Windows XP SP2 is necessary for SLI, but he is not sure. I have only Windows XP SP1

Would you have an idea ?

Thanks.

Methinks you need to do two things:

1. Upgrade to XP service pack 2.

2. Enable sli in nView Desktop Manager. This step is not mentioned in the manual (I read all 139 pages lol), and I found it by chance. It solved my problems, which appear identical to yours.

ricey

When will I have to enable SLI in nView Desktop Manager ? When SLI mode will be enabled ? Indeed, I have just searched SLI in Nview and I did not find it.

And for XP SP2, I am bothered since I cannot install this update ("non-official" SP1). Since XP 64 bits has been launched, I would prefer to directly buy XP 64 bits. But is this version compatible with SLI ?

And there is another problem : if I install XP 64 bits, many drivers are likely not to be compatible ?

Hello,

"non-official" SP1, what does that mean?

If you reinstall windows and install SP2 it should work.

Yes, it is a pirated version.

My problem is : do I buy SP2 and XP 64 bits in 6 months or XP 64 bits today ?

The best solution would be to acquire a pirated version of XP SP2 now and to buy Xp 64 bits later, when this OS will be stable and all drivers fully compatible (printers, joystick...)

yes, I have never been a big believer in buying a beta version of a Microsoft operating system :D . Billy boy Gates might consider that it is ready for release, but we all know it is going to be a flaky beta, at best.

There are plenty of copies of XP Pro/Corporate with SP2 available in all corners of the net; ftp, bittorrent, hotline, waste, etc. It is not exactly hard to find :) .

ricey

p.s. I am not condoning software piracy here, I am merely stating facts.

I agree with you, Windows Xp 64 bit is a beta version and the users will be the testers, as usually.

So I will search for a pirated XP SP2 version and will test SLI afterwards.

I will inform you if that solves my problem.

Thanks.