NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

RGone and OldGuy thanks so much for the input. Thought it would work OK. You'll need to DL ATITool and change settings under temperature monitoring to send the GPU and GPU env temps to sensors 5 and 6 so MBM5 can read them.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the general consensus with this motherboard is that the 2T command rate will have to be used with this bios for 100% stability? Or is this just for OC'ing where 2T really helps the process. Sorry, I really don't want to sift through 50 some pages to find the answer to this. My memory is using Winbond UTT chips, what are the success/horror stories with this motherboard and memory. Thanks guys. :)

Anyone else still having problems with the "cold boot" or whatever you want to call it?

My computer is still doing that weird thing...I go to power up and power goes to it, and I can hear my hard drive clicking......and then I hold power button for 5 seconds until it shuts off...hit power button again and it boots up like it should =/ Very strange and kind of worries me a little as I don't really like weird power spurs going to the board and components without it actually fully powering up.

So the general consensus with this motherboard is that the 2T command rate will have to be used with this bios for 100% stability? Or is this just for OC'ing where 2T really helps the process.
2T for stability period at this point, OC'ing or not.

My memory is using Winbond UTT chips, what are the success/horror stories with this motherboard and memory.
there really aren't any.....it's a finicky BIOS so it's pointless to say if something was a horror story as it could simply be the current BIOSes fault....that combined with the boards only been out for what...little over a week

My bad man, I worded my question wrong. I meant the NF3 Chipset placement. It looks like its right below the AGP slot. My NVSilencer5 Heatsink is bigger than the stock Heatsink...do you think that will give me a problem? Physically installing it I mean. Will it fit?

And what is this NF3 issue you are talking about anyways?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I had to grind about .040 off of one of the fan shroud bosses....but mines an ATI silencer :P If yer really leaning toward the DFI I would just plain expect to change out the chipset cooler. A couple of us have had some loud squealing which is remedied by givin the little booger a poke right in the center of the fan (pretty much stopping it and letting it spin up again). Seems to go out of balance. I Really don't know what a good low profile replacement would be right now...

I would say if yer fan shroud if fush with the edge of your card you'll be fine...

Folks with 6800 series cards just have a hard time overclocking the gfx card. I know my eVga 6800 on my LP 754 just flat refused to OC...Okay maybe by 5mhz or so :D There is plenty to read about it in here and elsewhere on the web and there are fixes/workarounds, etc. One of the reasons I splurged on my ATI...

Anyone else still having problems with the "cold boot" or whatever you want to call it?

My computer is still doing that weird thing...I go to power up and power goes to it, and I can hear my hard drive clicking......and then I hold power button for 5 seconds until it shuts off...hit power button again and it boots up like it should =/ Very strange and kind of worries me a little as I don't really like weird power spurs going to the board and components without it actually fully powering up.

2T for stability period at this point, OC'ing or not.

there really aren't any.....it's a finicky BIOS so it's pointless to say if something was a horror story as it could simply be the current BIOSes fault....that combined with the boards only been out for what...little over a week

Very true thanks for the input. I dunno, I'm just trying to gather all the info I can on this mobo before I actually pull the trigger. I've got my OCZ Powerstream 520 on the way along with a new Audiotrak Prodigy soundcard, but still havn't ordered either the 3700+ SD nor the board itself.

So the general consensus with this motherboard is that the 2T command rate will have to be used with this bios for 100% stability? Or is this just for OC'ing where 2T really helps the process. Sorry, I really don't want to sift through 50 some pages to find the answer to this. My memory is using Winbond UTT chips, what are the success/horror stories with this motherboard and memory. Thanks guys. :)

The 2T is a hit or miss with me and I don't think it's limited to just one type of ram. Mines TCCD but others with TCCD work and others don't. I think it's way too early to compile any "what's working/what's not" consensus. No "horror" stories that I'm aware of. Mine is super stable at 2T right now so we'll just have to wait and see what all gets addressed in the bios update...

What do you think about this? Is that too far over the edge?

pic5.jpg

oh yea, big post #1000

That little nub/boss right adjacent to the agp locking notch is the one I had to grind. Looks like you'll be okay, at the worst a little grind job may be needed. Mine fit, I just didn't like the way it rested right up against the edge of the chip set fan.

hey guys, i just ran 3dmark 2001 se and i kept freezing 1-3 times during every test... it would resume after a few seconds like the test it self never stopped but i only got 15124 =/ im using 66.93

bump .... score seems a lil low?

I've had this board up and running for about 5 days now. I've had some cold boot issues... Nothing a little beat of leaning on the reset button won't fix, but I hope DFI deals with it. I, too have had that problem with my ATi silencer and the chipset fan... Then my chipset fan started to grind, so I'd have to take my video card all the way out to poke it... Total pain, so I took the fan off. My ATi silencer is modified. The stock fan was too loud for me (made a bit of a ticking noise... was an early revision, not sure if they've fixed it since then), but I ended up putting an 80mm fan over top of the intake for the stock fan that blows into it, and the gap between the fan and the plastic of the silencer has enough air blowing out of it over the chipset that there is no need for active chipset cooling for me. If you don't need more than 2 PCI slots, it's something to think about.

That little nub/boss right adjacent to the agp locking notch is the one I had to grind. Looks like you'll be okay, at the worst a little grind job may be needed. Mine fit, I just didn't like the way it rested right up against the edge of the chip set fan.

ok, so you are talking that little nub on teh side (or bottom), not he back end where the fan was...

I thought you meant i was going to have to sand that fan down and i was like yea right! MSI here i come!

So you just take a file and sand off that little nub and the chipset will kindof sit right in that corner between the card and the HS?