NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

I just don't understand this board anymore...I had 270MHz going with 2.5-3-3-7-2T @ 3v with my Patriot XBLK's 1gb for the longest time...and now I've been trying 2.5-3-3-7-2T @ 2.8 and 2.9v just at 230MHz and I keep getting BSOD's under the simplest of stress.

I wanted to get some more memory bandwidth for the FEAR demo but it just won't have it...hell even when opening a torrent client then going to close it again caused a BSOD...I'm still on the original BIOS and I don't know whether to go 705 or 711 considering I hear lots of problems with either =/

I wonder if my chipset is getting too hot...I had to remove the original fan and now I have a 6000RPM 60mm fan blowing on it, but it still has the same little 'heatsink' on there...my little fan is also a couple inches away but smart guardian is showing cooler temps on it before...not that I dutifully trust the temp readings on that, but I figure you can atleast compare it to what it was before.

Damn friend bugs me all the time cause I went NF3 and I think to myself "oh well excuse me for thinking DFI would put out a great board like they've done in the past...."

mistake on my part. Guess I need to see if I can off this 6800GT for $200 or something and just take the loss and go NF4 and save myself a headache =/

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna have to break down and try that one sometime I suppose...unfortunately theres a nice thunderstorm and crap out right now so I'm not about to go and flash a BIOS while the lights keep dimming every few minutes lol.

I think overall I've been hearing more people having success with the 705 as well.

It'd cost me about $250 to switch to a PCI-E 6800GT and get the Ultra-D board...I know a kid in town who'd for sure by my card, but I need to like....try and sell this board off as well as a marshall microstack I got so I can get some more money...

$250 for being able to get a higher OC on the graphics card (damn nf3 chipset limits my OC ), a higher and stable RAM OC, stable voltages and accurate readings.

Quite a bit of dough for a few changes

Don think its the NF3 chipset thats not allowing you to overclock ur graphic card soo high cause when I had another board before, no difference in overclock.. jus matter of how good ur cooling is..

BTW, ANYBODY HERE USE --GEIL ULTRA-X TCCD 1GB IN DUAL CHANNEL--- ?? At what voltage? Just putting the ram at 2.7 which gives about 2.8V heats up my memory like really hardcore can barely touch... if I need to run the module in 1T need to crank up the voltage.. I don think runnign in orange or yellow makes any difference.. I put it to yellow cause its far from my cpu and closer to my PSU fan so it kinda cools..

Some people actually said that there is a physical fault with the board. I thought it was something serious but it was just a little resistor for the voltage. Anyone else have any information on what else is at fault besides a resistor and bios?

(BTW why cant I add AVATAR?)

Well what i did to keep my memory cool, I just mounted a thermaltake smart fan that spins about 50cfm air on top of my xp-90 right over the memory.

Before, my memory @ 250 2.5-3-3-7 was kinda warm, now its like ice cold.

Just mount a fan on top of your cooler facing your memeory, and you should be fine.

I can send you pics if u need more info.

All the resistor removal does is shows the voltage more acuratly. And the Giels should not be getting that hot with 2.8V . Put some fans on them . as far as any other hardware problems I havent experienced any...

Don think its the NF3 chipset thats not allowing you to overclock ur graphic card soo high cause when I had another board before, no difference in overclock.. jus matter of how good ur cooling is..

the NF3 is partly to blame...when i had my 6800GT in a NF2 board, i could overclock like hell...

im talking, 450/1200...now, my highest is 440/1140...with the Zalman VF700Cu...

@ absolute 0 - Four important things...LDT at X3, AGP at 67 or 68 and since you are not able to change the default voltage use the voltage increase +.40. Set your memory to 2T to get things going...I would do as blinker0 says and do a long, battery removed cmos clear before anything else after you flash...

My OCZ PC4800 would not post into windows no matter what at 1T until I used bios 711 and the yellow slots.

First at Blinker0: it's not a bad flash. It started occuring a week or so ago with the 602 bios, and it got worse, to the point where sometimes i would change just 1 thing in the bios and it wouldn't load windows. And in this situation, i could change it back to how I had been running all day and it would not get into windows. It is totally illogical and inconsistent. Just today i got sick of the problem and tried 711 to absolutely no effect, and then flashed to 705, to absolutely no effect. They ALL DO NOT ALLOW 1T no matter what, and all of them will hit an instant reboot as soon as i get into windows *most of the time* that i change more than 1 bios setting. Right now i have managed to change a few things and i got into windows successfully; this was accomplished by changing the BIOS settings 1 at a time.

Oldguy: I *can* change anything in the bios and it will post, but windows will reboot. It doesn't matter what i set LDT and votlage to... i'm talking about running stock speed. I can run stock speed, put a divider on my ram, and then get the windows reboot. I can run stock speed, up my volts and then get the windows reboot.

I was running my 3000+ week 17 at 3 Ghz on my watercooling. The board has been tripping out more and more however. For instance, once i decided i was totally stable with x volts so i lowered them one notch... windows reboot. Hmm, not enough, so i go back to where i was... windows reboot. Nothing worked, i had to reset CMOS. I"ve cleared my CMOS about 20 times and it changes nothing.

I am currently running in the yellow DIMMs, as i mentioned, i have tried yellow and orange to no effect.

So once again, 1T does not work and if i change things in the bios more than 1 at a time, i hit a hard reboot everytime i get into windows. This started happening *before* I even changed bioses, and it has continued to happen with every bios version i've tried.

First at Blinker0: it's not a bad flash. It started occuring a week or so ago with the 602 bios, and it got worse, to the point where sometimes i would change just 1 thing in the bios and it wouldn't load windows. And in this situation, i could change it back to how I had been running all day and it would not get into windows. It is totally illogical and inconsistent. Just today i got sick of the problem and tried 711 to absolutely no effect, and then flashed to 705, to absolutely no effect. They ALL DO NOT ALLOW 1T no matter what, and all of them will hit an instant reboot as soon as i get into windows *most of the time* that i change more than 1 bios setting. Right now i have managed to change a few things and i got into windows successfully; this was accomplished by changing the BIOS settings 1 at a time.

Oldguy: I *can* change anything in the bios and it will post, but windows will reboot. It doesn't matter what i set LDT and votlage to... i'm talking about running stock speed. I can run stock speed, put a divider on my ram, and then get the windows reboot. I can run stock speed, up my volts and then get the windows reboot.

I was running my 3000+ week 17 at 3 Ghz on my watercooling. The board has been tripping out more and more however. For instance, once i decided i was totally stable with x volts so i lowered them one notch... windows reboot. Hmm, not enough, so i go back to where i was... windows reboot. Nothing worked, i had to reset CMOS. I"ve cleared my CMOS about 20 times and it changes nothing.

I am currently running in the yellow DIMMs, as i mentioned, i have tried yellow and orange to no effect.

So once again, 1T does not work and if i change things in the bios more than 1 at a time, i hit a hard reboot everytime i get into windows. This started happening *before* I even changed bioses, and it has continued to happen with every bios version i've tried.

Does 2T work? And did 1T work before and then things went south?

hmmm, when you got this board, did u do a clean installed of Windows???

it MAY be corrupted or something...thats all i can think of...maybe the CPU is undervolting...