Sign in to follow this  
Clocker

NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

@ Rodan

I am pretty sure that I tried your procedure but if you do not mind posting it again I will give it another shot.

I have lost track of the number of hours I have wasted trying to get either the 705 or the 711 to "take"

Tried various ways of flashing as well,floppy or Winflash in Windows as well all to no avail.

J

Donna told me Thursday that they would have a fresh supply of bios chips in a shipment due there Monday 8/1.

She said they would strart shipping the reworked bios at that time. I don't know if they are holding up shipping of the board till Monday, or if they are just gonna have a rework on the bios chip Monday.

It may be that if you need a bios chip, I would contact Tech Support and discuss with them about this possibility.

AG or RG could help you on this matter I am sure.

"That is if you be really nice when you ask for assistance".

I assumed that meant there would be a new bios being released soon.

@ Rodan

I am pretty sure that I tried your procedure but if you do not mind posting it again I will give it another shot.

I have lost track of the number of hours I have wasted trying to get either the 705 or the 711 to "take"

Tried various ways of flashing as well,floppy or Winflash in Windows as well all to no avail.

J

just have him pm it to you. or try searching this thread..... *sigh*

Ok let me rephrase it,I have tried it his way as I looked backed through the thread after I posted quickly this morning before starting work is that ok *sigh* :rolleyes: .

I assumed I might have missed something is that ok?

I see what they mean about this forum on PCPer now.....

J

What ram chips would you pick???

OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL Dual Channel 2Gb Kit (2x1024MB) Kit 400MHz 2-3-2-5 EL DC PC-3200 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

CORSAIR TWINX-3200C2 PRO 2GB Kit (2x 1GB) 184-pin DDR (2-3-3-6 latencies), Activity LEDs

OCZ PC3500 Performance 2Gb Kit (2x1GB 433MHz - CL3-3-3-8 - Dual Channel PC-3500 OCZ4332048PFDC-K

....... I see what they mean about this forum on PCPer now.....

J

I never noticed it either, flaming other Forums, their members, or their Administrators, is about as immature as it gets.....

What ram chips would you pick???

OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL Dual Channel 2Gb Kit (2x1024MB) Kit 400MHz 2-3-2-5 EL DC PC-3200 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

CORSAIR TWINX-3200C2 PRO 2GB Kit (2x 1GB) 184-pin DDR (2-3-3-6 latencies), Activity LEDs

OCZ PC3500 Performance 2Gb Kit (2x1GB 433MHz - CL3-3-3-8 - Dual Channel PC-3500 OCZ4332048PFDC-K

Probably the first model: very good timings for 2x1Go and probably loves high voltages (surely some nice Winbond chips).

Second model: timings are slightly worse and activity LED are completely useless (unless you like flashy things). My second choice.

Third model: bad timings for such a low fsb (216MHz). 3-3-3-8 is only useful if it is certified for high fsb (250+), otherwise you lose in timings what you gain in speed. The problem being that 2x1Go are still quite new on the market and that you don't reach the same speed and timings than with 2x512Mo (same as when the market went from 2x256Mo to 2x512Mo, the production has to become more mature).

Just ran into a strange problem. My system had been running fine but the Chipset fan died so I dissconnected everything, pulled the board and replaced the fan/heatsink with a vantech fan directly on the nforce 3 chip. Put the board back in and hooked everything up. Powered up the board and as soon as it gets to the black windows loading screen the whole system powers down. Played with it awhile and it sees my sata drives but will not access them or the cd. When it tries to access the cd (boot) or the sata drives the whole system powers down. All cables etc are hooked up ok so I'm kind of lost here. Decided to go the new bios route (711) and I got the black screen of death problems whenever messing with the sata settings in the bios So I had to do the comos jump through the hoop routine quite a few times (never had to do that with 602). Decided to check my sata drives with the installation disc (floppy) that came with them and torward the end of the setup process a message comes up saying no scsi drivers on system. also get the NTLDR is missing when trying to access sata drives. What do I do? I can't boot or access any cd's or the sata's (system crashes/powers down). I'm going back to 602 bios and try to get into windows safe mode but I dont think I can get that far into the boot process the way it's been acting. Where did the scisi/NTLDR drivers go LOL. Or should I say crying out loud

Your help is appreciated

My little contribution for all the people who got 1T/2T problems with this motherboard: I know that not all of us have multiple boards at their disposal to test their rigs.

But there is one thing to remember with ram problems and Athlon 64 before releasing your (sometimes justified) anger around here: the memory controller is in the cpu, nor on the motherboard, so most of the time, bad o/c results are due to your CPU, not to the motherboard.

This board is clearly not rock-stable, The Vcore is fluctuating too much (+-0.03V), I don't know whether it is because of my Venice 3000+ (its Vcore is supposed to be variable) but I bet this does not help when reaching high fsb. My PSU is solid enough (Tagan 420W) not to be the problem here and a 500W from a friend did not give better results for o/c.

And also this HTT set up at 4x by default like on an old NF3 for socket 754 is quite strange and is probably wanted because in my case going to 2000MHz for HTT makes the system unstable whereas it is perfectly stable until about 1800MHz. Is it an heritage from the NF3 s754 chipset? I don't know but it is not a real problem given the lack of HTT influence on the global performances.

I had the chance to be given 2 other very similar mainboards to test: an Epox EP-9NDA3+ and the famous MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. And with these 3 motherboards, overclocking results were very close (within 5MHz fsb) but with the DFI always last, and the Epox first. That was with a Venice 3000+ and several pairs of RAM sticks (Memtest test 8 to check for errors). The Venice was nice enough to reach 2.7GHz (300x9) at 1.45V, so it did not limit the rigs in any of the tests.

*2x512Mo Corsair XMS PC4400 (2.5-4-3-6). TCCD chips. Epox first with a nice synchronous 280MHz fsb. MSI: 275MHz. DFI: 270MHz. All of this with 2T setting. Max 226MHz with 1T with all 3 motherboards.

*2x512Mo UTT BH-5 (2-2-2-5 or 2-3-2-5 at 2.8V): the DFI performed better here due to its higher settings for Vram (3.2V instead of 2.8V). Results were bad with 1T setting (usually 216MHz max) but were better with 2T and about 3.0V on the DFI: 226MHz at 2-2-2-5 and 240MHz at 2-3-2-5. Clearly not the best BH-5 I have seen, but that is not the point here...

*2x512Mo with good old VT chips (2.5-3-3-6). cpu 270/ram 221MHz/1T on all the mainboards. Not bad for a value memory. But not good enough to push the mainboards.

But one thing was common, my Venice did not like AT ALL the 1T setting with a fsb higher than 225MHz whatever the ram and its voltage, whereas it could go as high as my rams could with the 2T setting. First I was blaming the DFI motherboard, but it was then confirmed when I could test the Epox and the MSI and hit roughly the same limitation in 1T mode.

From what I have read so far, the "optimised" memory controller of the Venices/San Diegos has a very random quality compared to the Winchesters'. That would explain most of the overclocking problems. That is a shame because you need at least 40MHz more in fsb with 2T to reach the same bandwidth as with 1T, but then you can only blame your CPU...

My only wish for this NF3 Ultra-D would be some voltages tweaks that finally give the wanted voltages because it is a try-and-look-at-the-result process as it is now.

Oh, and a decent chipset cooler, the fan on mine screamed for one week and then stopped working, very disappointing from a DFI board but I won't let my card leave for a whole month just because of that. The Epox EP-9NDA3J/3J+ cooler is an example that should be followed: nicer (gold-plated), wider, same thickness not to interfere with the graphic card, and quiet.

The Epox EP-9NDA3J/3J+ cooler is an example that should be followed: nicer (gold-plated), wider, same thickness not to interfere with the graphic card, and quiet.[/color]

I HAD the 9NDA3+....sold it to my dad!!!

the chipset fan is good, until you put a long card in a PCI slot, then it hits the chipset, and pushes on the fan, and stops it from spinning...

I HAD the 9NDA3+....sold it to my dad!!!

the chipset fan is good, until you put a long card in a PCI slot, then it hits the chipset, and pushes on the fan, and stops it from spinning...

Long PCI card? Does it still exist? :D

Then I suppose the cooler is just 0.5mm too high.

But it is still better than the hundreds of DFI NF3 Ultra-D fans that die miserably after barely one week of use... I was surprised to see how many people got this problem here.