NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

Here is an interesting one I can't figure.

I change my multiplier from 10x to 9x and no matter what FSB I pick I can't get the CPU picked up in windows any higher than 1.8 GHz. But any 10 combination is fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i got a good one ;)

I believe the most critical thing was the memory settings. I followed this advice and it worked great

Mystery Behind the Memory Divider -Vladislav* Click Here

Let me know what you think. I'll try and push it more but I'm waiting for a clip for the Typhoon.

DFI NF3 Ultra-D Bios 711

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2608 (HTT 260.8 x 10) +.4v

Stock Cooler ( Thermaltake Typhoon coming)

EVGA 6800 GT (modded BIOS 410 core, 550 mem) 1.4v / VF700

OCZ 3200 VX 2x 512 MB (217.3 - 2,3,2,6) 3.2v

Ultra-Xconnect 500w and Antec TP 330W

HD - WD Raptor 74GB,

Optical - ASUS DRW-1608, TDK 420N

CM-STACKER

Windows XP 64

Hey Geeks (rofl)

Well i'm not really sure if 7/11 bios is anything really special, don;t get me wrong but there are thing i have noticed like long times for it to post, i cannot press the delete key to go into the bios until AFTER my Ide and sata devices show if i do it before that it just goes into a loop stage, as far as overclocking i have not gained any, but i have lost alittle performance.I cannot believe they did not fix the insert key issue yet !!!!!! :(

Now onto my chipset and memory issues:

AMD SD4000+ the max on this board is 2600 10x260 period no more no less no matter what i do it will not do anything past that ( i except that )

Patriot PC3200XBL will not run on my board at all not even at stock :( I have tried all the slots every configuration possible and memtest 5 and 8 fail on the first pass (i also except this)

But i have put this SD 4000+ and this Patriot PC3200 on 4 different Socket 939 boards in the last 4 days and all i can say is this combination with any other board is awesome it is totally stable on every board at 280x10=2800 (1.4v) 280x3x2=1680 (mem2.7) 2.5/3/7/3 and that is not even pushing it. It just runs perfect for some reason (i'll post pics and benchies)

So now that i did some testing i know it is not the cpu or the memory (i except that) but for now i will live with my 260x10=2600 (1.4v) 260x3x2=1560 (GSkill PC 4400LE ) 2.5/3/6/3 2.7v ( this is the only memory that i could get to work on this board. I have tried and tried OCZ no go, Patriot no go, Mushkin no go etc etc.

I am just baffled at how picky this board really is, it just floors me. I talked with DFI on this matter and they still tell me they are not aware of any issues with this board, they did how ever tell me it was my OCZ powerstream 600w power supply 10 times (lol)

i did get a refund on my other 5 boards my customers were having to many problems. just out of the blue one thing or another would go wrong( every single chipset fan failed all on the same day too) so i had to do what i had to do. It's not good to lose customers so i just built them DFI nF3 250Gb socket 754 systems :) and i have not heard anything bad from them since :)

Well it's time for me to move on. i will order a new favorite NF4 board and a couple of 7800GTX video cards (hell i desevre it) and start my next project. when a new bios does come out again for the nF3 Ultra-D i'll give it a go to see what changes they have made, but if there are not any issues with this board (according to DFI/ DFI Technical Support Team 100 Huan-Ho St., Hsi-Chih City, Taipei, Taiwan, R. O. C.)

i must be doing something wrong. and i have no clue where to start :( So keep up the excellent work and keep posting your results. i check the forums everyday for new results

PS Some might say then why even overclock???

Well if i run it at stock 200x12 2400 200x5x2=2000 at default i cannot choose 4x i don;t know why!!! i showed OldGuy a pic at the beginning of this thread and sandra shows my HTT at 2018 (wierd) well we all now that this board does not support 2000MT/s HyperTransport interface, the board acts funny!!!

and if i choose 200x11= 2200 that is slower than the chipset and using 4x causes issues to some say anything over 240 mine start at mine start at 218

choosing 9x or 8x does nothing for me

my only reliable choice is 10x

240x10 2400/ 240x3x2=1440 perfect

250x10 2500/ 250x3x2=1500 perfect

260x10 2600/ 260x3x2=1560 MAXED :confused:

Hey Speedpc Sandra is sort of weird acting lately ..With Bios still not being hammered down yet .. I have seen that same thing happen to may different Boards till the bios gets to a more stable state.. Good news is the bandwith Will be reported correctly as it is measured from inside the modual , and not by Bios , You probly already know that .. But there may be some who dont and get freak minded seein Sandra act in such a way.. &11 did the same things you decribed to me on the first flash.but after a couple of boots mine straightened out ..

That's ok - hopefully it's just BIOS adjustments and the board you got was a dud ;) Gives us all hope then. I hadn't seen the CPU before though. Very impressive.

More importantly: I got 711 to BOOT AND CHANGE STUFF!! :D - it's all thanks to this fantasic post!

I'm up to Boot 4 so far and i'm going quite well :) Damn I dunno where i'd be without that.

Thank you rodan!

---dens

7/11 bios --

How did it work out? I did from memory, was not brave enough for retry.

From RGone post it look like ide spin up problem plague bios way back.

I would like to retry to perfect easy the next time. Either bad oc or to just

reset cmos so no complication or when new bios available. I'm having good luck

with 7/11 and I lower my vcore to Pass then .1v at 260x10x166div. Also changed

agp transrfer to 4x (?) was auto. Not sure its at 4x and don't know what fast write

sideband is at. Sandra don't say. Most important is ability to redo bios setup

fast and efficiant if you know what I mean.

Please post ways you have found that work.

Thanks

7/11 bios --

How did it work out? I did from memory, was not brave enough for retry.

From RGone post it look like ide spin up problem plague bios way back.

I would like to retry to perfect easy the next time. Either bad oc or to just

reset cmos so no complication or when new bios available. I'm having good luck

with 7/11 and I lower my vcore to Pass then .1v at 260x10x166div. Also changed

agp transrfer to 4x (?) was auto. Not sure its at 4x and don't know what fast write

sideband is at. Sandra don't say. Most important is ability to redo bios setup

fast and efficiant if you know what I mean.

Please post ways you have found that work.

Thanks

Worked fine, up until the point where I needed to change the chipset voltage. No matter where in setting up the BIOS I do it (i.e. doesn't matter how many boots i've done or which order) I cannot for the life of me manage to get it working. I pretty much need it to sustain my OC with such a high HTT, so that's kind of a let-down.

Back to 602 yet again, and i've just been playing with 1T and memory dividers to see if I can improve performance a little bit more, but even tighter timings & 1T at 166 Divider don't provide enough of an increase to warrant running the memory so much lower.

Despite your guide was solely for RAID people in your intentions, people who aren't using RAID for booting such as myself found it useful anyway. I just skipped the RAID-oriented steps and it worked for me.

Hmm, I just realised though - with 711 my chipset voltages were reading higher than they did with this BIOS (shows undervolting in 602) so I might actually be ok with it. I might flash back later on this evening.

---dens

Couple of questions:

1. 1T on this board is unstable at any RAM frequency/timings/voltage, with my 3700+ SD using 602 BIOS (I think, the one that came with it). Will flashing help this issue?

2. Do I need a floppy disk to flash or could I use software like Winflash to do it?

Couple of questions:

1. 1T on this board is unstable at any RAM frequency/timings/voltage, with my 3700+ SD using 602 BIOS (I think, the one that came with it). Will flashing help this issue?

2. Do I need a floppy disk to flash or could I use software like Winflash to do it?

1. list your system specs in your sig...

2. I use winflash, worked perfectly for me...

Yeah, that's what I figured, 1T is better than 2T performance-wise. But my benchmarks on 3dMark0x are better at 2T, 326 than they were at 1T, 260ish. Further, my memory bandwidth is better too! So again, is 1T better performance for other reasons that I can't test?

My memory bandwidth was also better at 2T... I thought I was nutz until I read your post.... Something is screwey....

hmmm, thats weird...i have not had a problem running T1 at stock speeds with my OCZ RAM...

i normally set my VDIMM to 2.7v (actualy voltage is 2.8V)

There is also a BIOS setting that you might try changing...its in the menu where u change the memory timings, i think its the second from the bottem...the options are "15% reduction, 20% reduction, 50% reduction" or something, change it to "50% reduction"...that might help (sorry, can't remember wat the actual name of it is!!!)

My memory bandwidth was also better at 2T... I thought I was nutz until I read your post.... Something is screwey....

but is that at the same clock speeds and timings???

find a stable overclock with T1, bench, and then change it to T2 (keep everything else the same) and you should do better!