Sign in to follow this  
Clocker

NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

When I flashed the 705 BIOS yesterday, I made sure not only was the BIOS set for Optimized Defaults, but also installed memory that I knew the board loved, and additionally opened the timings to 2.5-3-7-3..... Here's why:

A few years back I had a Chaintech nF2 board that ran some GEIL Hynix like a champ. I had swapped in the GEIL after running something else. For what ever reason, one day I set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults. Upon re-boot the system would not POST. I tried everything... Dead... Zero... Zippo... Nada....

After clearing CMOS at least 12 times with no success, I was about to RMA the board. Then a light went on! I re-installed the original memory and yep! She booted right up!!!

The Optimized and Failsafe Defaults on the board were no good for the Hynix memory sticks! It would not POST! I assumed they use the SPD settings, but the BIOS may have had timings too tight for Hynix...

When I flashed the 705 BIOS yesterday, I did notice different settings came up as defaults with my 2X256. 1st BIOS save, 2T was set automatically. No question that 705 may be touchy, but I shutter to think of some members flashing with memory that is not 100% compatiable with the board.....

I must wonder how many users are running into a situation where the flash is performed with memory that isn't 100% compatiable with the board being flashed and hoping the BIOS will fix their issues when it was the memory all along.....

hello all, first time posting here, tho ive been following the thread. I was just wondering if anyone has pics or a link of where to read voltages for vcore and vdimm off of the board with a DMM?

Still on the 602 bios. Just tried to get my memory to 1T or use a divider and tighten up the timings. No go despite numerous voltage and timing configs. Voltage divider at 166 would not boot up into windows at all. 1t was not possible at 273 (my current & stable mem speed for 2T) despite voltage up to 3.0 VDIMM or weaken drive strength. Got 10 days left to RMA to Mwave...starting to wonder about a NF4!?

Just out of curiosity has any one simply tried the old pencil trick yet .. I didnt think of it till just now... But isnt a resitors job t limit current flow, Hence removing it alows all avalible voltage... Hoot said he thought it shouldnt be a infinent open.. I wonder if a little graphite may alow enought to open it just a little?..

Just asking HUMMMM?

BACK TO MY CORNER FOR A WHILE

hello all, first time posting here, tho ive been following the thread. I was just wondering if anyone has pics or a link of where to read voltages for vcore and vdimm off of the board with a DMM?

Looking at the board mounted in a case, there are 3 identical inductors between the CPU and the ATX power connector. Vcore is the left hand lead, of any of the 3 inductors that is hard to reach because it's jammed up against the row of capacitors...

Vdimm shown in this picture:

dfinf3ultra062905-5a.jpg

Just out of curiosity has any one simply tried the old pencil trick yet .. I didnt think of it till just now... But isnt a resitors job t limit current flow, Hence removing it alows all avalible voltage... Hoot said he thought it shouldnt be a infinent open.. I wonder if a little graphite may alow enought to open it just a little?..

Just asking HUMMMM?

BACK TO MY CORNER FOR A WHILE

One would have to remove the resistor, and then pencil in the tracks while monitoring the Vcore, while praying the Vcore doesn't jump up to fry the CPU...

A adjusted, 20K pot in place of the resistor like Hoot suggested, is the proper way to go if you must have it correct......

The board loves the Patriot XBLK's....
Yeah, I kinda figured that since you had pretty good luck, however as of today this board is hating my ram or something.

I had been using 270x9.5 with CPU VID at passthrough and adjustment at +.7 which offered more stability than CPU VID at 1.55 and using like .4+, RAM was 3v using 2.5-3-3-7-2T timings...and now all of a sudden today it's blue screen galore even when running 230x10 with same timings and like 2.9v

I might need a fan blowing directly on the RAM but it didn't feel that hot and passed memtest ok at 270, I even tested again at 240 but it BSOD'd even at 230..

so right now I'm doing 2-2-2-5-2T timings with 2.7v with 250x10 and 166 divider resulting in 209MHz according to CPU-Z and it's been running fine ever since =/

Using the original 602 BIOS