NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

Jeez....a resistor that doesn't need to be there and having to send the board back in? That'll surely be . a lot of people off....however I really haven't had too many problems with this board and even with the Vcore fixed to volting where it should be I don't think that'll get me any higher OC so I don't think it's worth it.....now if it corrects some major undervolting and fluctuations that's a whole other ordeal, but yeaaah....that sure is some crappy news

"Hey dfi...whats up with this board"

"Ummm oh yeah about that....this resistor shouldnt be there"

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone managed to get the new official 07/02 BIOS to work? For me its the same problem as the beta, except its now worse. Back then, the beta will at least POST into safe mode with the FSB resetting to 353MHz Now, totally no POST at all. Nothing.

So you absolutely cannot get your board to run 300htt under no circumstances hoot? Even with 100mhz ram and a low cpu multi? I know in your case you either have memory that doesn't work well with the board or the board itself is messed... well i don't know that is, just guessing.

Actually, I had another go at it last night. Taking Vaigas' advice, I reduced the DDR DQ Drive Strength to 50% reduction and lo and behold, it started running 1T in the orange slots as well as the yellow slots, which stands to reason. If the drive was too high the slots closer to the source (orange) would suffer the most. Anyway, got into WinXP desktop at 9x300 running the ram at 2:3 (200 Mhz) 2-2-2-6-1T. Did a quick SuperPi 1M test and having passed that, I went for 5:6 (250 Mhz) 2.5-3-3-7-1T. Again it ran SuperPi 1M, so I fired up Prime95 Torture Blend and went to bed. When I got up this morning, it had ran only 10 minutes before crapping out. Before going for my shower, I changed the Idle Cycle Limit to 128 and gave it another run. Out of the shower and dressed for work it had crapped out again. I set Trfc to 14 and gave it another shot. By the time I was ready to leave for work, it had crapped out again, so those last two parameters did nothing to help that particular case and I set them back to auto. I rebooted back to 2:3 (200 Mhz) 2-2-2-6, set it running P95 Torture Blend and headed off for work. I'll see what transpired when I get home and take it from there.

Getting R716 off doesn't have to be hard if you don't intend to put it back on. You can pry it off with a sewing needle or simply crush it with a small pair of dikes. If you straddle both solder pads with a larger soldering iron until they melt, the resistor will usually lift off when you removed the iron due to the surface tension of the molten solder. Get in and get out as fast as possible, being the rule of the day when desoldering. Have your iron tip wetted and cleaned on a damp sponge.

Hoot

correct me if i'm wrong, but those seem to be bios only problems....unless they expect EVERYONE to rma their board which would be an outrageous amount of people...

Those may be BIOS problems but the problem is that their BIOS is the problem. Their new official don't fix a single problem and makes the board unable to POST (well, more problems).

I find it hard to accept that an offical BIOS could have a bug that causes the board not to be able to POST.

Like the email link in Old Guys signature you need to put the problem before the DFI engineers in Taiwan as the forum is only here to dispense fixes that are about. There is not yet fix I am aware of and the problem will be better assessed by the number of emails reporting distinctly what problems the board has. It is a lot like voting. The more votes/emails determines the winner.

RGone...

Those may be BIOS problems but the problem is that their BIOS is the problem. Their new official don't fix a single problem and makes the board unable to POST (well, more problems).

I find it hard to accept that an offical BIOS could have a bug that causes the board not to be able to POST.

Just wondering, before I bought the board, I went around looking for reviews but it seems none of the big hardware sites have reviews of this board (actually... I couldn't find any). Could it be that DFI knows this board isn't ready for the big times?

i've noticed the same thing...

i thought Anandtech would've had it as soon as it was released...

because i am in Australia, other people got it before me (ie, other countries), i know/knew 2 people that got it before i did, and based on how well they did (actually, one of them was Absoloot that posted ealier...) i decided...

Guest bobyjo

I asked the guy at HardOCP to do a review of this board.

His reply to me was::The nF3 Ultra is old news, old technology and he dosen't see taking the time to do a review on a product that is a year old.

Hmm... that's curious because the NF3 Ultra-D is fairly new, and is probably the best enthusiast board for AGP card owners. I'm curious why NOBODY has done a review on it. I figured either Tom's, Anandtech, Neoseeker, HardOCP, SOMEONE must have wanted to do a review on this board.

Guest bobyjo

I asked the GUY over at HardOCP to do a review on this board. His response was::

This board is old technology, just do not see putting in the time doing a review on a product that is a year old.