Sign in to follow this  
Clocker

NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

I've gone back to the Orange Slots as it turns out the yellow ones didn't help me at all. I've spent nearly 3 solid days testing now and I think I've almost got to the bottom of the instability.

Bloody hell this board is hard work!

I haven't found a whole helluva lot of difference between the yellow and orange with what I've had in here so far...One of those things that's going to vary from board to board and module to module.......

And you are BLOODY HELL RIGHT!!!!!! But for me, not needing a 24/7, gotta have a stable rig scenario right here right now hasn't been a problem because it is more of a hobby for me than anything else at this point. For people like speedpc who purchased half a dozen of these boards to build and resell, well, nightmare is a word that comes to mind...Very happy to see he found suitable memory to get him going forward...

Guest NEC
OMG... they've unstickied us! damn.....

Haha . . . it won't make any difference :D

Well, it seems like the board works out great for some but is picky about what memory you use. There are also alot of issues that seem substandard to DFI which have been mentioned across this vast series of posts. I would reccomend before buying this board at all, if you plan on overclocking the cpu and memory, to find some of these people who have been successful with this board. I have seen a few with it using 300htt and 1:1 memory with pretty impressive results. I would say trying to copy thier setups, while not garenteed to work, is way more likely than just guessing at what is going to work or not based upon individual component specifications.

Now i'll wildly speculate that,

DFI had been playing with this motherboard for along time. Infact they had versions of it around from about a year ago that they were showing off. They probably did alot of work on it back then and collaberated with the other makers in co-ordination for making a working bios. Back then it was probably for show and just worked on it till it ran a certain combination of parts a certain way. They probably revised that a bit later on but without as much collaberation from the other companies to produce a bios suitable for mass production. Basically they made the main bios for the board awhile back, then dug it up recently to add in features like X2 and the newer cpu support. And all these new bios they've been shovelling out are really kind of like returning to a old project for the engineers. For all we know they assigned thier newest most inexperianced software writers to write a working bios.

My point is this board does have potential for certain hardware combos, but who knows what DFI is gonna do to improve it. Who knows if they even have the ability to improve it. We can't know if it will improve or not until it does. I think DFI should list the combos that they have implimented support for. People buying it should look out for the setups that work the best and try to get them. If anybody has a really excellent setup with this board, they should post its composition, so that others who are brave enough to buy this board have an increased chance at the achievement of success. If DFI is going to strategically displace its support from this product to its other product lines, I think people who own this motherboard should start creating a list of hardware that works good on it and at what settings.

My DFI Lan Party NF3 Ultra-D hate my Patriot PC3200 Samsung TCCD RAM, I can get it memtest86 stable, but I can't even run SANDRA bandwidth test without it crashing.
I've got that memory and it's doing fine in my board. Seems to max out at 270MHz with 2x512 with 2.5-3-3-7-2T timings at 3v....however currently I'm using 322x8 instead of 270x9.5 because I wanted to try the effects of a high HTT with a solid multi instead of a half multi so currently my RAM is only running 258MHz using the 166 divider =/

OldGuy has been trying to help me with a long walkthrough he was generous to send me on how to get my system to work.

So far I've put 1 stick of ram in the closest slot to the CPU. Next I unplugged the system, changed the CMOS jumpers from 1 and 2, to 2 and 3 for several minutes, put the jumpers back to their original placement (1 and 2), then plugged the psu back in and started the system.

According to him, at this point I should be getting a Lanparty splash screen. Unfortunately I'm not. The monitor is receiving NO signal. I have no idea what to do....

Has anybody at DFI ever used a silencend graphics card?

Sadly to say, i think no, cause my graphics card is to big for the chipsetcooler!

I pushed it into the agp slot, but it won´t "snap" into the slot, cause either the chipset cooler or the graphics card cooler is too big. Why has the chipset to be in such a really bad position? Just 5 cm more south would be great. Does anybody know, if theres a cooling solution smaller than 1 cm in heigh for the chipset?

Will the chipset burn, if i just use the little heatspreaders without the (extremly loud) fan?

Or i could try to cut of my zalman (which of course won´t fit) by half :/

Hate it...

So, anybody with an Artic Silencer graphics card should stay far away from this board!

Finally figured out why my 2X512 G.Skill is passing Memtest at 9X320 @ 200 2T 2.5-4-3-7, but crashing in Windows: Speed-Fan...! Speed Fan was causing Windows to crash as soon as it it started....

dfinf3ultra071005-1.jpg

Someone allready tried using the OCZ Memory Booster? I have one over here and I want to try it tomorrow. Can it do harm to my motherboard if it's not compatible?

And I wondered if someone allready used the new 07/05 bios, I cant find a fix list anywhere...

The 705 is a die bios....

Speed fan wtf is that a driver? How do you know? Boot into safe mode and look

and the event viewer after it crashes. Did it crash with a dump? I know someone

who knows how to analyze core dumps.

Ok, if you overclock... my fast "cold boot bug" procedure:

1. edit the boot.ini file to read something like this or go to System Startup

properties button and do it, they both make this mod typical to boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOW S

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

2. when cold booting (and I'm doing this with board outside box and use the

two buttons) wait 3 seconds after you see the "no monitor" rgb screen.

3. press reset

4. wait till you get the boot loader screen.

5. press reset

6. you get the boot loader screen again, just press RETURN

Your in windows with cmos settings, works every time.

Ad it will cut down significantly pressing DEL, enterring bios, then exiting without

saving. Try it...

OldGuy has been trying to help me with a long walkthrough he was generous to send me on how to get my system to work.

So far I've put 1 stick of ram in the closest slot to the CPU. Next I unplugged the system, changed the CMOS jumpers from 1 and 2, to 2 and 3 for several minutes, put the jumpers back to their original placement (1 and 2), then plugged the psu back in and started the system.

According to him, at this point I should be getting a Lanparty splash screen. Unfortunately I'm not. The monitor is receiving NO signal. I have no idea what to do....

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else with my spacific video card posted a similar complaint?

Has anybody at DFI ever used a silencend graphics card?

Sadly to say, i think no, cause my graphics card is to big for the chipsetcooler!

I pushed it into the agp slot, but it won´t "snap" into the slot, cause either the chipset cooler or the graphics card cooler is too big. Why has the chipset to be in such a really bad position? Just 5 cm more south would be great. Does anybody know, if theres a cooling solution smaller than 1 cm in heigh for the chipset?

Will the chipset burn, if i just use the little heatspreaders without the (extremly loud) fan?

Or i could try to cut of my zalman (which of course won´t fit) by half :/

Hate it...

So, anybody with an Artic Silencer graphics card should stay far away from this board!

All you have to do is grind off one screw hub on the Artic cooling system for the ATI card and it will fit.

computerpics020medium5yv.th.jpg