NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

A friend of mine in the UK who's a tech is online with me, and he's been stepping me through different things I can try... nothing. I might have my vcard tested on Monday. If that $300 card is messed up, I am gonna be so pissed if they dont take it back just because the coverplate on the back under the processor has a little scratch. I should have known better than to buy it at CompUSA.... Shoulda gone to Fry's. I got a good deal on it though, it was marked down from $300 to $200 at a thanksgiving day sale.

Has anyone here ever returned an item like this? Are they gonna say its my fault or something? Cause I very much doubt it is. I treat all my computer parts like nukes. (very carefully) lol

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realise that when you're using half multi's that your ram isn't actually at 1:1? When using half multi's your ram actually runs on a divider, making it slower than what it appears as. Even if it shows 270 in CPUz or any other prog, it's actually running slower when you use half multi's on A64 boards.

Linky to A64 Complete Memory Divider table

You can see there that when using half multi's using 1:1 it actually doesn't stick.

I hadn't seen it, but my memory bandwidth is still the highest I've gotten it after various testing.....270x10 isn't a possibility for me, and due to the closest divider being 166, I'd have to have a ridiculously high HTT to get the RAM up to 270 after the divider is calculated in and have some multi of like 6 or something.....

I kept stepping it up from like 250x9.5 all the way up to 270 and the 270 here did better than 260x10 which technically would be higher than 270x9.5 the way that memory chart is showing it....if it's supposed to be 5% off the actual speed with a 9.5 multi at 2GHz....5% of 540 would be 27MHz resulting in DDR513......DDR260 with a multi of 10 would be a solid DDR520 yet the 260 resulted in a loss of memory bandwidth....

Take a closer look at some of those posts and you will see what we call "Suicide Screenies".

Sort of like a dragster compared to a street car.

You've got to wonder why they don't show at least 8 hours of prime95 stability. By my quick count, only a few are on air. Most are on water or phase change.

Another thing to look at is the speed of their memory even with dividers to get those high CPU clocks.

If all you are interestead in doing is "Suicide Screenies", that's OK. I know one of the guys that posts over at XS. He will go through 8 to 10 CPUs to get one that will run really high. He sells the rest on ebay. He goes through all sorts of VooDoo rituals just to get a single screen shot. That's all he does with that rig. He has another setup for internet and gaming that is running just a little over stock.

Those guys work very hard for their results and it shows. But it seems to be a bit of an E-Penis competition to me.

Most users will never invest that amount of time and money into overclocking a CPU that hard.

I have mine running 2750 every single day with no BSOD's and no problem :D That's the way I like it :nod:

I woke up this morning in a reckless mood. Grabbed a cup of coffee and a slice of cold pizza and down to the shack. Hmmm 705 is out....

I didn't read all the subsequent caveats about this bios release, choosing instead to charge right in. The flash went fine and the system ran post the first time, before clearing cmos with an odd memory parameter being reported. The line on the post screen with the memory settings came up as:

Tcl 2, Trcp 2, Tras6 and Trp7 !!! and 1T

I never let a fresh bios have at my RAID array, so I let it fire off into MemTest86, which reported Tcl 2, Trcp 2, Tras 6 and Trp 2. So much for faith in the post screen. It ran MemTest86 fine, so now to change the bios settings to what they were before flashing.

Here's where it all went to hell. I rebooted, went into the bios settings and tried changing some basic parameters such as the date, time, y'know simple stuff. Upon saving the changes and rebooting, no soap! System would not initialize the video card and sat there with the drives seeking.

Powered down, cleared cmos and tried again. Again post ran fine, got into the bios screen and set CPU voltage to 1.475 which produces 1.41 actual volts at the socket. No other changes. Upon reboot, same as before, zippo!

Powered down, cleared cmos, rebooted and got into the bios. I didn't change any parameter, just selected save and exit. Again zippo!

Back to 602.... :confused:

Hoot

I bought the nF3 Ultra for more speed than my current Athlon XP3200+ system . Besides the speed, two other features I need are a 1394 port AND optical digital I/O. This board seemed to fit the bill. But when I unpacked the box, I found no optical header cable.

I have searched these forums for an answer, but all seem to dead-end with no resolution.

Does DFI offer an optical header cable to fit this board?

well...it does have SP/DIF pin-outs on the motherboard, so i expect you can...you may have to get a sorta generic one, or something...but be-careful

i remember someone trying to use a MSI one on a Gigabyte board...no damage caused, but it obviously didn't work...

Wait! I put a redline stick in slot 4, and the system is running nice... but no video signal... Its a PNY Verto 128MB card that uses a molex power connector. It's running... and the fan is working, but no picture...

About half the time when I boot I get no vid signal with my 6800GT on this board. A quick press of the reset button and all is good, it only happens from a cold boot.

Its not my card as this only started happeneing on this board. And no, the GPU does not share its power feed with any other devices.

Guys my previous post got buried so I will try again, if I have pretty decent 2x512 of ram taht can run cas2 at 230Mhz on my other motherboard how come I can't have my fsb over 228 when the memory lock is at 166 so overall memory is running under 200mhz and no timing changes will make it go higher. FSB goes to 300+, cpu goes far, I know from my other board that memory does very well too, what am I doing wrong? :(

It doesn't look like you are doing anything wrong Vlad. Re-load optimized defaults and don't set any memory timings manually other than 1T or 2T. Drop yer multi on the cpu one or two ticks. See how far your memory will go in memtest before throwing errors by increasing buss speed 5mhz at a time.

Are you able to run 1T in Windows?

I gotta get to work but I have some more to throw at ya when I get there...

I bought the nF3 Ultra for more speed than my current Athlon XP3200+ system . Besides the speed, two other features I need are a 1394 port AND optical digital I/O. This board seemed to fit the bill. But when I unpacked the box, I found no optical header cable.

I have searched these forums for an answer, but all seem to dead-end with no resolution.

Does DFI offer an optical header cable to fit this board?

AG would have to answer the optical header question. Please sir if you will create a signature with your system specs so that on future postings with questions people will be able help you quickly identify any known issues with your combination of components. Thanks

Just curious, anybody else here have chipset fan issues? Mine seems to make a grinding noise when I first start up my machine in the morning, but after about 10 seconds, the grinding goes away.

Also, if I replace the chipset fan, what should I replace it with?

Just curious, anybody else here have chipset fan issues? Mine seems to make a grinding noise when I first start up my machine in the morning, but after about 10 seconds, the grinding goes away.

Also, if I replace the chipset fan, what should I replace it with?

Vantec Iceburq is a quick cheap fix...

Please put a signature together with your components listed like mine or anyone elses as an example....Helps us help you...

You may have clearance issues with the chipset cooler depending on your gfx card...

just got my DFI NF3 Ultra-D up a while ago with my sandiego

now on air.. waiting to get my water back on then i'll test further :D

Ah....babyelf....Thought you was just being a looky-loo. Nice to see people that have been following along took the plunge anyway :D You must be a really sick bastard or you really enjoy a challenge!!! Probably both eh?????? ;)