Sign in to follow this  
Clocker

NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

First day when it arrived:

Specs

DFI LP nF3 Ultra-D

0602 Original Bios

Winnie 3200 CBBFD 0433

2X256 A-Data Vitesta DDR600 slots 1&3(orange slots: check board marking)

200 1T 2.5-4-3-7 (all the rest on auto)

Vdimm 3.0V

Vcore 1.7V

Windows2000 Pro

Maze4 Water block on CPU

Stock cooler on nF3 chip

Western Digital 20Gig IDE 7200rpm

Allied 450Watt PSU

Boot-up screen:

dfinf3ultra063005-1.jpg

1 pass of Memtest86:

dfinf3ultra063005-2.jpg

Windows tests

dfinf3ultra063005-3.jpg

The test setup:

dfinf3ultra063005-4.jpg

Does anyone here run LSI SCSI on this board? I made a post in a separate thread about this but maybe someone will read here. I just can't make my SCSI card work in this new board. I think it cinflicts with sata somehow, but even if I completely disable SATA it still doesn't work. BIOS detects everything fine but when it comes to booting nothing works.

I had an LSI SCSI card running in this board when I first got it and it worked fine. I have since removed it while I'm overclocking (too many restarts and the card takes forever to detect the drives etc.). I had the first item in the boot order set to Hard Drive and in Hard Drive boot order I had add-in card at the top. This was on the original BIOS, I havent tested the card since I flashed to 6/29.

Edit: I should add that I had the card in the second from last PCI slot

while that is very impressive....its not really a computer, its a collection of parts on a test bench....

i got mine running at 210x12=2.52Ghz @ 2-2-2-5 T1 for 24-7 running....

if i can get to 217x12 without having to increase my vcore too much, or loosen my RAM timings, then i'll run that 24-7...

BTW, one thing...if possible, DFI should get the board to display either the FSB or the Clock speed of the computer, or both, while its posting...my Epox did that, it make overclocking so much better...

Well, I know I said I was done overclocking this board for awhile but I got bored and decided to try the 6/29 BIOS. This BIOS is more stable for me so far, I was able to hit 2600 and have it be prime stable so far at 1.550v (12 hours before I left for work gonna let it run for at least 24 hours). I seperately tried both of my 2x512MB sets (Redline 4000 and Mushkin Black lvl II 3500) and was unable to get them to pass memtest at stock speeds or below at 1T, bummer. Currently running at 2-2-2-5 2T 2.8v @ 217Mhz. Hopefully prime will keep running :D . Now I just have to decide on a northbridge replacement cooler, dunno whether to get the zalman passive or vantec, but I have to get something soon that stock fan is driving me crazy, its so freakin loud sometimes.

while that is very impressive....its not really a computer, its a collection of parts on a test bench....

That's how I test all new boards in order to post about bugs, workarounds, memory data, etc on my Forum... Once they are 95%, they get cased up and look like:

water021205-19.jpg

That's how I test all new boards in order to post about bugs, workarounds, memory data, etc on my Forum... Once they are 95%, they get cased up and look like:

ah, okies...thats much better...

Hey, after OldGuy showed those pics of that Vantec IceberQ

I went and got one from the egg. Thanks OG for the pics. I also have a 9800pro

with that same cooler on it and know just how much to grind down that plastic

on that screw to clear it.

Someone else mentioned its not as good cooler as whats on there now.

Also, I'm having rev-up grinding sounds from that oem fan on there too. I looked

at it and saw the wires might have been hitting it. I moved them away from it.

That might have been the problem. Is the hs and fan machine put on them.

Was my wires the only one too close to the fan (actuall almost in the fan)?

Will see, did it this morning. Also the noise seems to come only when its cold -

in the morning (not later when its hot) when I first boot.

But anyway theres a Titan copper cooler that has been around for years, is that

better than Vantec (god I hate Vantec). I have a couple of Crorbs but the radius

is too big to fit thos caps on the side. Oh well...

Dunno :) I just had to replace that thing with anything that would fit! Works good enough. I just looked at the wiring in the stock cooler. No rubbing. You can tell when you spin it by hand that something in the bearings is shot and or just not "right". I did have to put the fan guard back on the Vantec though. It's just a damn tight fit in there with the silencer...All good for now.

Hi All,

Forgive me if this is posted in the the wrong area, however I have a quick question. Given all the problems folk are having with this board am I correct that these difficulties stem from overclocking? That if used at "stock speeds" this board functions properly?

It's my understanding that this is "the" board to get for the NF3 Chipset, and I would like to buy it, if it is in fact stable.

All help provided is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time & patience.

well...the only problem i've had is that it SOMETIMES won't reboot...im sure that'll be fixed in a BIOS release or its a setting in MY BIOS...

this is the most stable board i've had...period.

but yeah, most of the other problems people are having are due to overclocking...

however, i have now had my comp to 214x12=2.568Ghz @ 1:1 2-2-2-9 T1, had it for about an hour of general use, and some Super PI/SiSoft Sandra/Everest benching...

if you think this is a lot of problems, you should look-up the Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 at the anandtech forums...now THAT board had problems (i should know, i had 2 die on me!!!)

Hmmm, BTW, anyone else noticed that in the BETA BIOS section of the DFi website, when you select the DFI NF3 Ultra-D it takes you to the 602 initial release BIOs...well, it does with me!

Guest bobyjo

jtm55::

I would say your assesment of the problems are correct.

There are lots of persons that have this board and even OC at some point.

Most if not having a serious problem, never post anything here in these forums.

I would say that almost 99% of the people posting in this forum, do so because they are having problems in setting up the bios screens.

The newer boards have a very complex bios, many screens to go through and lots of settings to fiddle with.

If someone fiddles with something that he knows absolutely nothing about, here comes major problems.

There comes lots of posts in this forum asking for help to fix these problems.

Hmmm, BTW, anyone else noticed that in the BETA BIOS section of the DFi website, when you select the DFI NF3 Ultra-D it takes you to the 602 initial release BIOs...well, it does with me!

Just tried it...602 comes up. Must have pulled 628 or incorporated some fixes into the 602?????

And yeah the board is stable even overclocked it just has some quirks.