NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

my San Diego 4000+ is in the OC DB @ 2880Mhz...if that ain't stable enough, it is now my main rig used every day for work and play (retired the nf3 after all this time)

my point is...you are better off going with the bigger cpu (and the FX is not comparable at all...there's a HUGE difference in paying an extra $100-$200 for a cpu that is better, and paying $700 for a better cpu....even $200 can be saved for pretty easily if you are really saving up for everything else...but $700 is just too far out of range for those of us who do not have money to burn...)

my cpu hit 2880...but if it didnt it would STILL be 2400Mhz by default and have 1MB L2 cache...and would have at least hit 2500...2600...2700 probably...even 2800....i'm LUCKY in the fact that it does 2880Mhz on air and probably 2950Mhz stable on water...but even if it was a kinda crappy chip for overclocking...the default speed was still 2400Mhz and 1MB L2 cache and that makes up for any risk of a 2Ghz cpu being a piece of crap and only doing 2400Mhz with 512k L2.

plus I do have an FX-55 (new 90nm SSE3 version) that is 2600Mhz by default...but it won't clock any higher than this 4000+ San Diego for half the price (and a 3700+ San Diego that Rgone has is just as good as my 4000+) so I'd say no, again the Fx55 reference is not applicable (just too damn much money)

im not necessarily trying to force my opinions on you, just hopefully getting you and everyone else that reads this to take some time and think about it before you go slapping your credit card down on stuff just cuz you want it soon (the longer you wait, the lower the prices get also and 2.4Ghz aint going to be slow for a long time)

people who buy these boards may say they dont want to overclock, and it might even be true for a few of them...but most buy them knowing they are the overclocking champs, and those that don't want to but end up overclocking (cuz you just can't help trying it really...its like Pringles lol) and finding out that there is a difference in speed...some (a lot!) get stuck with these weak low-multi cpu's that will only overclock if they go out and buy a different $200 kit of RAM that enables them to go high HTT (lets face it, on an 8x and 9x and even a 10x multiplier sometimes, your memory still has to do 250Mhz-266Mhz on a divider to get 300+ HTT for high clocks) when the memory they have is perfectly fine and if they had a high cpu multi they could easily get there (usually).

its a give-and-take situation...

you have to sometimes give up getting it now and spending a bit more money, but you take the benefits of having a higher stock speed cpu that doesn't have to be pushed as hard and doesn't have to have the absolute best memory money can buy to get even a decent overclock (where a low multi cpu usually has to be pushed very hard to achieve the same actual mhz of a higher multi cpu's overclock...!)

ok thats my lecture for the day...buy whatever you can afford or really want...but if you really wanted a bigger stock cpu...you should probably take a little extra time and get what you REALLY wanted in the first place ;)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant find (Carmen) San Diego anywhere in Australia

we only got Venice so far

a 3500+ Venice is retailing for circa $400 Aussie

wonder how much a 3700+ will be if it comes out here

AG - I can completely see your stand point and it makes sense, but chances are you make quite a bit more money than I :D I have other priorities that my money must go towards (not saying you don't as I'm sure you have tons more bills etc...than I)

I know it can't be guaranteed or anything, but I honestly think this venice will atleast do 2.5GHz but of course for all I know it could want to go no more than 1MHz higher than it's stock speeds and crash out...that's just the luck of the draw.

The 4000+ SD was the 2.4GHz correct? And isn't that CPU around $500? ........just did a quick check after typing that sentence :P was $489 at newegg so will be over $500 after taxes, my 3200+ was $215 after taxes and shipping........anywho, I understand your reasoning is more of the incase things go bad then you still have a damn good backup sort of way........where as mine is the gamble, lets hope it OC's nicely sort of way :P , but hell that's half the fun of it is taking a relatively cheap CPU and making it run to that of a reall expensive CPU :D Suppose I got my venice up to 2.8GHz like your 4000+ SD, then basically I'd be paying $300 for 512kb extra of L2 cache considering they both have the same instructions and clock per clock are basically equal.....

Hmm I don't know, I'm starting to get confused by my own words at this point lol.......either way I understand what you're saying, and technically I COULD have afforded a 4000+ SD (woulda emptied the ole bank account though :D ) but I suppose I have confidence in the venice cores kind of like when I very first got the 35w 2400+ XP-M....there were both horror and success stories for the XP-M line of CPUs but for the most part they were really good chips all around.....

Ahh well.....I suppose I'll be sure to report back with what happens and if the chip sucks I'll come crying and groveling "YOU WERE RIGHT AG, SLAP ME NOW! :cries:" :D

That's the good thing about overclocking. There really isn't any "wrong", just levels of "right".

The worst overclocks are still getting CPU cycles for free!

It's all good when it works.

I've been away from an upgrade project (research, compare, buy, assemble, test, etc.) for about 1.5 years since I built my P4C800D-E rig. Lately I've been definitely warming up to the idea of building an AMD rig with a San Diego (FX is too much for me) with all the nice AMD benchmarks around. (BTW, it'll be my first AMD rig ;) ). Two months ago I picked up a BFG 6800Ultra AGP so like everyone else here I've got my eye on this board. There's the MSI Neo2 or others but I want to wait for this one.

First time here so there's my .02

patiently waiting...

I cant find (Carmen) San Diego anywhere in Australia

we only got Venice so far

a 3500+ Venice is retailing for circa $400 Aussie

wonder how much a 3700+ will be if it comes out here

there's rumours saying it won't reach us isamu.. ordered mine elsewhere.. coming soon..

and maybe this NF3 Ultra board as well :D

and nubius.. i reckon the 3700+ is worth the extra over the 3500+ venice at least.. i have a 3000+ 0517 venice coming and a sandiego and this claw.. if u want i'll tell u which one i like.. but at the moment .. i think i'll like the sandie more :D

the 3700+ is worth the extra.. the 4000+ is not.. reckon it's too expensive

I think this was mentioned a few posts up but I just called the San Jose, CA sales office and the nice lady confirmed these boards should be on the shelves on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. She mentioned they're shipping from Asia and having to go through customs of course but sounded very confident about it even so.

I think this was mentioned a few posts up but I just called the San Jose, CA sales office and the nice lady confirmed these boards should be on the shelves on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. She mentioned they're shipping from Asia and having to go through customs of course but sounded very confident about it even so.

lol

ask everyone around here about 'getting word from someone in the office'

they don't have a clue what they are talking about

Well I know she at least had a clue. I just had to mention 939 and nf3 and she knew right away about the board. We'll see what happens anyway. Besides instead of asking 'everyone around here' I thought I'd go to the source as I'm sure it's already been done before but worth the effort nonetheless.

and nubius.. i reckon the 3700+ is worth the extra over the 3500+ venice at least..
Well I stuck with a 3200+ venice as it is........like I said technically I COULD have saved for the san diego, but I specifically wanted to spend around $200 and OC the crap out of this venice :D