NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

lol, theres a guy over at Xtremesystems.org that has that image except he photoshopped an ATI logo on the guys berette and then has "SM3.0 OFFERS NO REAL ADVANTAGES OVER SM2.0"

Yeah I laughed at that one too :)

lol i'm surprised that you even mentioned what day you were getting it on AG - wasn't the question answered on one of the earlier pages anyway?

---dens

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. don't i always tell you about the new boards I get? (why do you need pictures of the board? there are a zillion around this forum and the internet...mine are not going to come with "booger-stain green" slots or with a 4" LCD screen imbedded in them...)

well i sorta of takin your advice and not trustin what i see from others

so :P

Bump time for this thread, I needed a map to find it again..

So now that the end is near (or a hell of a lot closer), what is the smart choice of cpu for this little sucker ?? The venice 3200 is the best value but..

I would personally love to break the 3ghz barrier on water....any thoughts ??

San Diego 3700+ or better

(I refuse to use small-multi cpu's and I refuse to use Venice since the ones I have seen have stunk to high heaven, but the San Diego is a great cpu...)

Clawhammer 3500+ or better (bad-arse chips man...)

3500+ or better anything really....stinky low cpu multipliers are for...well they are not my fav's

Don't know I've been seeing a lot of the 3000+ hitting the same as the 3200+s but I myself just picked up a 3200+ venice the other day and is now sitting waiting for this board......or for me to win the lotto so I can just buy the G70 and Ultra-D board :P

I also have water cooling myself, DD parts of course....3GHz would be nice but as I stated previously I'll be content with 2.8GHz with my RAM running 275Mhz....considering I've seen atleast one guy hit 3GHz with an XP120 technically if you've got a good CPU it should be no probs with water cooling.

Check the "Official Venice Overclocking" thread at xtremesystems.org under the AMD section

EDIT: AG - dont suppose you happen to remember the week that your venices that sucked were do ya? Mine is week 18 and I don't think I've seen anything above week17 listed thus far at XS anyway

nah i see so many cpu's and pieces of hardware that my logging skills sometimes get weak...but overall, I am not impressed by the Venice cpu (at least on our boards) while I am very impressed by the San Diego (having one myself)

Rgone might be able to shed some insight as he hates his Venice 3800+ and loves his San Diego 3700+

That's strange AG.....perhaps just luck of the draw because if you check out the "official venice OCing" thread over at XS...there are LOTS of people having great success with them....generally 2.7GHz and above quite easily even on air solutions, this all coming from 3000/3200+ venices......and basically the boards are either the Ultra-D, SLI board or the MSI Neo2 plat depending of course on if the user has PCI-E or not, but overall I've seen nothing but good from them.....

personally I can't afford to go above a 3200+ so a diego especially is out of the question for me.

personally I can't afford to go above a 3200+ so a diego especially is out of the question for me.

ah...but you CAN afford it...if you have a little patience and save some money...(besides I'd rather have the 1MB L2 cache anyway...not a huge difference...but i just like having what I really wanted the first time so i dont have to spend for it later to get what i really wanted...)

Take a closer look at some of those posts and you will see what we call "Suicide Screenies".

Sort of like a dragster compared to a street car.

You've got to wonder why they don't show at least 8 hours of prime95 stability. By my quick count, only a few are on air. Most are on water or phase change.

Another thing to look at is the speed of their memory even with dividers to get those high CPU clocks.

If all you are interestead in doing is "Suicide Screenies", that's OK. I know one of the guys that posts over at XS. He will go through 8 to 10 CPUs to get one that will run really high. He sells the rest on ebay. He goes through all sorts of VooDoo rituals just to get a single screen shot. That's all he does with that rig. He has another setup for internet and gaming that is running just a little over stock.

Those guys work very hard for their results and it shows. But it seems to be a bit of an E-Penis competition to me.

Most users will never invest that amount of time and money into overclocking a CPU that hard.

yep...here at the street we don't like the 'suicide screens'

we preach stability

is it better to run a bench @ 3Ghz but never get it stable?

or is it better to get OC Database stable @ 2800Mhz and run it that way every day?

:tooth:

Yeah the ones upwards of 3GHz are generally suicide... but I know theres quite a few people running 2.7GHz and 2.8GHz that's for 24/7 use which is ultimately the goal I'd like to achieve which I think is quite possible.

ah...but you CAN afford it...if you have a little patience and save some money...(
lol yeah but you could apply that to an FX-55 as well.....3200+ I can afford off the bat, but it's not always about affording something it's also being able to buy a cheaper CPU and OC the crap out of it to the point of being an expensive CPU right? :D

I know there are a lot of suicide screenies, but not everyone in the venice thread at XS is doing a suicide screenie, you can generally tell who is, the more 'known' OCers are generally pushing 3GHz+ with their phase change units and are going for the suicide screenies, but there are a couple people that's like me, only have one CPU, some people even have just good air solutions and are still hitting the 2.7s and 2.8s for 24/7 use.....

I know it's not going to be a simple slap it at 275x10 and bam I got 1:1 with a 2.75GHz CPU or anything, but I'm confident I can get it up there personally assuming I've got a good luck of the draw CPU to OC with....I might be kind of greedy to hope for atleast 2.8GHz but it's something to shoot for.....my XP-M can hit 2.7GHz completely stable 24/7 but requires 1.975Vcore through it, especially being summer even with water cooling it gets hotter than I like...hotter being like 50C, although my case hasn't been completely modified yet, I still gotta add a couple more fans, but I'm waiting to go AMD64 since I'll be modding it to that boards shape.

2.7GHz is a 900MHz increase from this 2400+ XP-M so hell, if I could even get 700-800MHz increase off the venice I'd be happy, although I suppose even 2.6GHz with my RAM being able to run at 260MHz unlike now would still be a nice improvement especially in memory bandwidth.

The only suicide screenie I'll be doing is using chilled water to cool a pelt and push this XP-M to it's limits once I have the AMD64 going, but the AMD64 I will be OC'ing to a 24/7 stable position.