NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

Some adventurous soul should keep tabs on the thread and update the main post so you dont have to sift through the posts, because it will get long too.

I think the main probs are pretty well identified....One sticky ought to cover it. Now with all the bios flashing...........that's a whole nother thread altogether ;)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number one, I am most certainly not a Noob. Number two, if it takes magic fingers just to load Windows correctly, I don't want the board. I really do believe that I do either have a defective board or it isn't playing well with something. I have been waiting for this board for such a long time , I feel cheated.

Here are my specs, as I have tried everything known to man to get this to work:

3800+ Venice

2x512 Ballistix 3200

6800 Ultra

2x74 RAID 1x100 WD

Audigy 2ZS

PC P&C 510 Deluxe

TDX, Maze 4, D4

Things I have tried and results:

Load RAID drivers, both of them, results in BSOD upon starting XP. If I'm persistent enough with rebooting, Windows will load and I thought I was fine from there. I installed the drivers for my USB gamepad and it froze. When I rebooted, I received the great no boot disk message.

Do it again, this time not as RAID. I loaded onto 4, everything went fine up until I install the game pad. It freezes and upon reboot, I get the no boot error. I disconnect the other drive from port 5 and it boots to Windows. Now my mouse doesn't work, my soundcard doesn't work.

Next boot I get the no boot disk message and that is it from there. Every single combination, no matter what OS has always resulted in constant BSOD from a RAID config to the no boot device with the single config.

Something else I notice loading 2000. It took 40 minutes to format ONE disk of 69 GB. After reinstalling my Asus on RAID 0, it took around 10 minutes to do the full format on the RAID.

Something else I notice loading 2000. It took 40 minutes to format ONE disk of 69 GB. After reinstalling my Asus on RAID 0, it took around 10 minutes to do the full format on the RAID.

I've noticed things like this too. To install windows, parts of the insall seem to hang. For example, when you pop in the disk and boot off of it, and it loads all teh drivers, then it says "Loading Windows" the HDD LED just stays on and nothing happens for about 2 minutes, then it just remembers what its doing and just keeps on going. Also happens when windows install is detecting my drives.

Another thing i noticed is before install the chipset drivers XP takes like 20-30 passes of the blue bar. After i install the drivers it jumps from BIOS to windows...never even see the loading screen. its really cool :shake:

I mean don'ts.

What dram settings would be suggested for Mushkin l2 v2, these are tccd.

I'm not going to do my vx right now.

I use 2.5-3-3-7 on mine. and kakarrattos tccd alpha timings from xs.org. :) if you cant find the guide, its under xtreme bandwidth->memory tweaking guides.

Number one, I am most certainly not a Noob. Number two, if it takes magic fingers just to load Windows correctly, I don't want the board. I really do believe that I do either have a defective board or it isn't playing well with something. I have been waiting for this board for such a long time , I feel cheated.

first, i wasnt pointing my finger at anyone in specific.

if u havent already....i would run 2t, and stock speed, maybe up the cpu voltage a bit (if stock is 1.4v, try 1.4v + 0.1v)... i always have my chipset at 1.75v...

i installed 2 of these computers almost flawlessly. the only problem i ran into was my friends mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy/cardreader, was that the floppy was dead.. so he had to get another....

only bsod's r when i have 1t set... i am not running raid tho.. so that could change everything...

have patience buddy, i dont kno if u have had any dfi boards b4... but they r usually very sensitive to changes in the bios...but, once u get it going... i can bet u that sucker is gonna fly...they always do.

hmmm.... thats all i can really think of....

I upped the memory to 2.8. The CPU to 1.5 and the chipset to 1.75....all to no avail.

I tried one stick in channel A. One in B. Two in A and two in B.

I ran 2T. I ran 1T. That's something else that ticks me off. Ballistix 3200 is rated at 2-2-2-6. I could do 1T at up to 220 HTT at 2-2-2-5 on my Asus and can only do 2-2-2-8 at stock on this board.

I tried RAID and single configs in SATA 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

The only thing I didn't try is to load the OS on my IDE drive. Too much important stuff and that's not why I bought Raptors.

Yes, this is my first DFI board since I was dumb enough not to go PCI Express when I built this. I was seriously considering going NF4 and getting at least one 6600 or 6800GT, but I didn't feel like scrapping my 450.00 video card.........then this board came out. I have been waiting forever. The only reason I didn't go with the MSI Neo at the time I built this is because no one had it . It was out of stock everywhere.

first, i wasnt pointing my finger at anyone in specific.

if u havent already....i would run 2t, and stock speed, maybe up the cpu voltage a bit (if stock is 1.4v, try 1.4v + 0.1v)... i always have my chipset at 1.75v...

i installed 2 of these computers almost flawlessly. the only problem i ran into was my friends mitsumi 7-in-1 floppy/cardreader, was that the floppy was dead.. so he had to get another....

only bsod's r when i have 1t set... i am not running raid tho.. so that could change everything...

have patience buddy, i dont kno if u have had any dfi boards b4... but they r usually very sensitive to changes in the bios...but, once u get it going... i can bet u that sucker is gonna fly...they always do.

hmmm.... thats all i can really think of....

Absolutely, voltage and 2T will plague you with bsods. If yer gonna try and fight with the board you will not win by trying to impose yer will on her :D Forget 1T, use one sick in slot one and increase yer voltage. If you have enough drives do yer raid 0 later once you've got yer finger on her pulse.............

I upped the memory to 2.8. The CPU to 1.5 and the chipset to 1.75....all to no avail.

I tried one stick in channel A. One in B. Two in A and two in B.

I ran 2T. I ran 1T. That's something else that ticks me off. Ballistix 3200 is rated at 2-2-2-6. I could do 1T at up to 220 HTT at 2-2-2-5 on my Asus and can only do 2-2-2-8 at stock on this board.

I tried RAID and single configs in SATA 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

The only thing I didn't try is to load the OS on my IDE drive. Too much important stuff and that's not why I bought Raptors.

Yes, this is my first DFI board since I was dumb enough not to go PCI Express when I built this. I was seriously considering going NF4 and getting at least one 6600 or 6800GT, but I didn't feel like scrapping my 450.00 video card.........then this board came out. I have been waiting forever. The only reason I didn't go with the MSI Neo at the time I built this is because no one had it . It was out of stock everywhere.

heh, i ran into that issue too.. i mean.... i bought this vid card preordered for 625 cdn.. no way in hell i could justify a new card for a slight boost in performance

heh, my bh-6 will do 237, 2-2-2-8-1t @ 3.2v (tested on nforce2 dfi, nforce3 250gb dfi, nforce4 dfi).. unfortunately i have to run 2t becus of bios issues.. or w/e...

which sata ports?

for my single raptor i use the one under the socket, to the left, i think 3? i could be wrong.....

no.. so u kno.... every single nforce3 ultra board has been plagued with problems and gets fixed after a few bios updates......

ur venice should require no more than 1.4v to the best of my knowledge... r u using the 0.1v increase i talked about? i've found that can add stablilty sometimes....

crappy buzz tho man...hopefully she kicks for ya soon..,

Seeing alot of potential, but something is wrong. Either my memory HATES the 166 divider or i donno what. But it can boot 260 1:1, boot 280 133 but not 260 166. It's so weird, doesn't post, late post, boots into windows then restarts kinda thing, but mostly doesnt boot or gives me "SYSTEM IS IN SAFE MODE" "RE-APPLY CPU FREQUENCY" thinger.