Freeze installing Windows

I'm feeling like a total n00b :confused:

I've installed/upgrade at least 30 times since the days of the 486, and never have I had such problems as I do now. My last AMD PC was a headache too, but got through it will a little help...I need help again. I read through some of the posts and answers and I seem to be at the right place.

Ok here's my problem: The computer freezes on the "...checking installed hardware.." screen. I know it sounds silly, but I've run the memtest for a few hours in single and dual mode without error's..I've tested the CPU/Memory/Hard Disks/HSF/DVD/Video Card on another exact DFI board without a single problem...the psu in that one was a 300-400 watt no-name. I was going to flash the BIOS but worried it'll freeze (it did freeze while I was in the BIOS acouple of times). The is my 2nd board as the 1st one refused to turn on (no lights on mobo). FYI, everything is at stock "load optimized yada yada" settings.

Any help is appreciated.

Ok, try for now with 1 stick in dimm slot 2 (top orange closest to edge of brd)

Go ahead and clear cmos again and choose optimized default in bios.

See if you can install xp. You have xms corsair cms3200 512x2 right?

Which kind? I might be able to help you on that.

Thanks for the quick reply StephenC... :)

I'll do it with 1 stick in slot 2 (I also have some OCZ Premier kicking around)...For the Corsair, what do you need to know??..on the clr cmos, do a jumper reset or battery removing ok?

And spdiscus..thanks also...moved the mouse from USB to PS/2 port, pulled the 2 front mount USB's & 1394 from board for time being.

Big worry with flashing to 3/10's is the sporadic freezing, thereby possible toasting of board. Temps throughout have been low to mid 30's (Pasty Basement dweller), so I know it ain't heat related. When all else has failed I'll do it...precautions include underclock the CPU, single DDR266 ram stick, PCI video and everything off/unplugged.

Sorry ExRoadie , posted too quick....I didn't follow it to the letter, but damn close. The optimized BIOS & 1 stick of RAM is the only parts I didn't follow. Usually go into BIOS after install & flash, to save doing it twice.

Which ram do you prefer? As to rather to flash....run memtest86 first. 1/25 bios does not have memtest86 built in...but my guess u have a copy around.

If you can pass a few cycles with no errors, then go ahead and flash to 310.

as to cmos clear use the jumper only for now.

Oh another note....I would also check the link in exroadie's post.....make sure you have all connections to mobo. 24pin atx, 4 pin 12+, fdd, and molex.

Also look at my sig. What type of corsair do u have? mine is c2.

Another side note...You will get better support on this forum if you are using OCZ brand ram...Which do u have?

I had the same exact problem which seemed to have no evident hardware related cause. I would get the same freezes when trying to install windows regardless of bios version. Though I would recommend 510-2/-3 for Corsair. Windows set-up had a problem recognizing my graphics card "thereby freezing" because it was PCI-E and the version of XP I was trying to install did not have SP2 which has the revisions for PCI-E support. All I can say is make sure your windows XP has SP2, because after I slip-streamed SP2 it installed perfectly without a hitch with both 512MB sticks installed!

...its going to be a long night..

OK will do the following:

1 stick of RAM (Using the OCZ Premier 2.5-3-3-6 DDR400 512MB) in bank 2 (thanks StephenC)

remove USB Mouse, using PS/2 (thanx spdiscus)

have memtest image on bootable cd, (current Memtest86 3.2), when it passes with no errors, will get back here before flashing...

Question: how long does flash take approximately?? including backup/skipping a backup??). Very nervous :sweat: about a bad flash!! :sad:

==========================================================

Post posting:

All power connections are in, checked for loose connections/cards/etc..

Corsair is:

XMS TWINX Matched Pairs XMS3200 DDR400 2x512MB 184-pin DIMM (TWINX1024-3200C2)...

...thanks siddhartha, I'll stick it back after I flash for sure....

...you know, FX-WANNA-B , that actually make's alotta sense!! XP I'm using is old (like pre-SP1 old)...can someone save me some trouble and tell me if they installed with a pre SP1 version of XP??? It would explain it not recognizing SATA and PCI-E....

About 5 min tops....make sure u clear cmos first. set bios to optimized default. Go back and select removable as first in boot order. if u use the diamond flash, It will do all the work for you.