Php Problems...i Think

Badams66

Ok, i have a web server and i installed PHP and MYSQL but when i open up phpBB to try and install it, then an error comes up saying:

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error

I think this means that something is missing but i might be wrong! Does anyone know exactly what this error is and how i can fix it?

Configuration Problem. It could be PHP or your webserver software not configured properly. Read the error logs and find out more information.

im using Windows 98 with Microsoft PWS because i don't know what else to use! Im thinking about "getting"

windows server 2000 or maybe 2003! Im open to all ideas!

Linux, are your servers using Linux RedHat or what?

I have Mandrake 9.1 if someone thinks that might be better....however i tried it and didn't like it very much!

Edited by Tyme_66

im using Windows 98 with Microsoft PWS because i don't know what else to use! Im thinking about "getting"

windows server 2000 or maybe 2003! Im open to all ideas!

Linux, are your servers using Linux RedHat or what?

I have Mandrake 9.1 if someone thinks that might be better....however i tried it and didn't like it very much!

Yes, Linux RH.

Why don't you try Apache for windows?

I tried that but i don't understand it enough, im not very good with alot of software...im more a hardware kind of guy! If someone is willing to walk me through it with MSN then by all means i will use apache!!!

If you are still looking for a server managing utility, I suggest EasyPHP. It is a very simple program to setup and run for Win32.

It runs Apache and MySQL servers. Free of charge, but you will need to install the language pack unless you know French...

http://www.easyphp.org

Well actually i already got my site working with Apache, so...yea! However im still having PHP problems...

For some reason i can't upload pictures on this site....this is the third time it wouldn't allow me to! So ill have to type out what the error says...when i install PHP 4.3.2 for Apache (Im using Apache 1.3.27) then near the end it says:

Sorry, the software to automatically configure the Apache httpd.conf file has not yet been written. You will have to configure Apache manually. See install.txt file for more details.

Ive looked in the install.txt file and found nothing, i also looked at the documentation for Apache! Im sure im not looking in the right spot because there has to be some information somewhere! So if someone could tell me one of the following it would really help me!

1. How to manually configure Apache

2. What im doing wrong when installing PHP

3. Where i can find information on manually configuring Apache

Thanks in advance

EDIT

Ok, i tried that easyPHP or whatever, i found a english thingy Here, you can also download the program there so if anyone else wants to use it! It seems to work so far...ill have to set up the mysql database still to make sure my forum works but thanks for the help!!!

Edited by Tyme_66