Sign in to follow this  
Glaucus

[RESOLVED]NEW POWER SUPPLY>>NF4 U-D Machine Check Exception

I just installed WinXP x64 on my Lanparty NF4 Ultra motherboard w/ 3000+ AMD64 proc. I am running 2x 512MB Ram (Corsair I think). I installed a new DVD burner, and, without installing any drivers, tried to read a CD off it. The machine instantly BSODed w/ MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION ( KB 329284). I restarted and everything was peachy. Then, a few hours later, I returned to my computer and it was BSODed again (same error). When I restarted, it BSOD'ed a few seconds after the Windows Logo came up and instantly restarted itself. It has done this every time. I tried to boot into safe mode, but it froze on apcitab1.dat every time.

Figuring Windows had just messed itself up, I tried installing gentoo, but it dropped w/ a kernel panic as I was unpacking a portage snapshot.

Clearly, I have a hardware failure somewhere in my system, but I have no idea how to figure out what it is. I have run memtest86 for a couple of hours, with no errors. I am currently running it again and will do so till tomorrow just to rule memory out completely. I tried booting with only one cdrom, to make sure I wasn't taxing my powersupply, but it failed the same way.

Help please!

there isent enough firmware/driver support for windows xp64 edition yet. stick with windows xp or pro for now. ag says dfi doesnt support it yet.

Windows XP x64 has nothing to do with it. I am having some sort of hardware failure. I can't even install Windows XP or Linux without it locking up on me.

Sorry, I assumed that since when I created my account it asked me about all the stuff it added it automaically. I didn't check. It should be there now.

I just installed WinXP x64 on my Lanparty NF4 Ultra motherboard w/ 3000+ AMD64 proc. I am running 2x 512MB Ram (Corsair I think). I installed a new DVD burner, and, without installing any drivers, tried to read a CD off it. The machine instantly BSODed w/ MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION ( KB 329284). I restarted and everything was peachy. Then, a few hours later, I returned to my computer and it was BSODed again (same error). When I restarted, it BSOD'ed a few seconds after the Windows Logo came up and instantly restarted itself. It has done this every time. I tried to boot into safe mode, but it froze on apcitab1.dat every time.

Figuring Windows had just messed itself up, I tried installing gentoo, but it dropped w/ a kernel panic as I was unpacking a portage snapshot.

Clearly, I have a hardware failure somewhere in my system, but I have no idea how to figure out what it is. I have run memtest86 for a couple of hours, with no errors. I am currently running it again and will do so till tomorrow just to rule memory out completely. I tried booting with only one cdrom, to make sure I wasn't taxing my powersupply, but it failed the same way.

Help please!

A freind of mine just went through the same ordeal...MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

It ended up being his PSU. It wasnt a cheepie either, it was a zippy 500w.

So you might want to try swapping out PSU's if you can borrow one.

Since the power supply and the memory are the two most important things in a configuration it seems; I had hoped he would at least put the power supply in signature as that was the main thing I wanted to get a look at. The old days of generic power supplies that don't have any real ooomph is gone with these boards for sure.

RGone...

same thing happened to me once i went back to stock from an overclocked state for some reason. id get that machine_check.. and then a lockup. what appeared to have cured it, is installing realtek's ac97 codec driver instead of nvidia's audio driver.

try that. this is assuming you have and use audio on the board.

Since the power supply and the memory are the two most important things in a configuration it seems; I had hoped he would at least put the power supply in signature as that was the main thing I wanted to get a look at. The old days of generic power supplies that don't have any real ooomph is gone with these boards for sure.

RGone...

I have an Antec TruePower 300 Watt. I noticed the note on PSU's when I joined the forum, so I am ordering a new one from NewEgg.

same thing happened to me once i went back to stock from an overclocked state for some reason. id get that machine_check.. and then a lockup. what appeared to have cured it, is installing realtek's ac97 codec driver instead of nvidia's audio driver.

Unfortunately, I am completely locked out of Windows, and it happened with Linux, so it isn't a driver problem. Plus, I have never overclocked.

Since it locked up first with the DVD drive, I think it might be my secondary IDE controller. I hope it is just my PSU.

Guest Shibby

Probably that PSU....which one are you going to order?

Probably that PSU....which one are you going to order?

I just placed an OverNight order w/ NewEgg for the SeaSonic S12-600. It seemed to be the popular pick over at Ars Technica, and it more than meets the requirements.