Sign in to follow this  
GrossmeisterB

Ultra-D CPU compability,PCI-express etc.

OK people, I will receive the board tomorrow, together with a 3000+ Venice...will the board support that CPU at once? Or will I have to get a Winchester from a friend to update the BIOS first?!?!

And will it be slower running the video card in the lower one of the 2x PCI-express slots ? Because I bought a passive cooler for that 6600GT, which won't let me put the card into the upper slot...if yes, how much will it affect the performance??

And what is the max. "FSB" people get with that Ultra-D?? Is it possible to achieve speeds higher than 300MHz??

Thanks in advance for all your help, and greetings from germany!!

1) It should POST. You may want to have a BIOS update available, though (make the disk now).

2) It will default to 2x. You can jumper it to 8x, and you will probably not notice a difference. I think people have noted drops of about 100 points in 3DMark01. But that will be negated by the additional overclock you could get from third-party GPU cooling...maybe (I don't know about passive GPU cooling).

3) 300 is quite doable (1:1). The board supports up to 400 (not 1:1 ;)).

Thanks for your help!

So, when it posts, I can update the BIOS??Even if it doesn't recognize the new CPU??Sounds good...I don't care about that 100 points in 3DM01, I want the system to be quiet, and I will get these 100 points somewhere else...hehe...

And I know I won't be able to run 300 in 1:1, but if I lower the memory speed by using these dividers, what speeds can I expect?? (Asuming that the CPU/mem can handle that speed)