Sign in to follow this  
jodhas

Wow... I can't overclock, May I ask you for some help?

updated:

Well, I've been surfing the web like crazy because I see others getting 275mhz like nothing but I am stuck at 210mhz off the bat. I thought I was the only one but it seems as if I am not alone...

I found the following links.

Same problem over at bleedingedge.com

DFI Street

Well, the jist of the story is as follows...

There is a High Performance Series RAM at OCZ called the Enhanced Latency Series with Copper Heatspreader (Model #: OCZ4001024ELDC) that sort of has a overclocking "barrier" at 210mhz.

You have to lower (slow it down) the DRAM timings and change the divider only to get somewhere around 225.

It seems as if Ed_Jacobson had the IDENTICAL problem...

I'm waiting until Andy from OCZ replies back to my email.

Original Post

Hellow everyone!

Well, I think I have all the necessary tools but I don't know why my mobo will not overclock.

Let me first laydown my hardware specs

Mobo: DFI nF4 Ultra-D

Bios: 310

CPU: A64 3000+ socket 939 Winchester

RAM: OCZ4001024ELDC-K (OCZ 1 Gig (2 x 512mb), CL 2-3-2-6 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) ))

VID: XFX GeForce 6600 Ultra with nV Silencer

HDD: WD Raptor 74GB on SATA 1

HDD: WD 250 GB on SATA 2

OD: NEC 16x Burner on IDE1 Master

Power Supply: Ultra X Connect 500 Watts

Cooling: Thermalright xp90 with Zalman 92mm fan @ 5 volts.

I don't have a 24 pin ATX so I have the 20 Pin plugged in and running without a hitch.

NOW...

I am able to run Windows XP Professional and run different tests (memory and prime95) without a hitch under normal conditions.

I change the FSB to 225 and LDT to 4x and windows should be loading up but my computer just restarts itself without windows ever coming up!

I see that people are upping their FSB to 250 without a hitch even with stock cooling.

Did I get a Bad Mobo???

Am I doing something wrong?

Can someone help me step-by-step?

Thank You. :angel:

I am using 244x9 LDT 4x CPU 1.375v with increasing 104%. been running it for 1 month straight no problem try to post a complete genie bios settings so I can take a look at what you really have.

HDD: WD Raptor 74GB on SATA 1

HDD: WD 250 GB on SATA 2

first change to 3/4...... unless they fixxed that

by the way you dont just change the FSB from 200 to 225 and expect it to work.

right now, you need to set your ram on a divider to isolate problems at stock voltages. you dont have bh5 ram where you can just change it to 225mhz and it will keep the same timings at stock voltage.

to do this go into the dram options and set the divider to the one below 1:1

first change to 3/4...... unless they fixxed that
All four are locked on nF4.

I agree with 'clipse. 2-3 units at a time (not 25). And, if that's the same 2-3-2-6 OCZ that I had (for a short time), they don't overclock at all. Get to know your memory dividers. You'll also have to increase VCore as you go, but you'll definitely have to read up more on the overclocking process.

Thanks guys, I'll report back to you guys asap.

BTW, is there any way to take screen shots of the BIOS? (Besides, using video out)

Also, I did overclock to 210mhz without much problem but it still posts as "Athlon 3000+" Isn't that suppossed to change and post as 1890mhz? (9 x 210 = 1890)

Thanks guys.

And, if that's the same 2-3-2-6 OCZ that I had (for a short time), they don't overclock at all. Get to

Then what is THE memory to get for my DFI motherboard. I think I can still return these and get me new ones...

Then what is THE memory to get for my DFI motherboard. I think I can still return these and get me new ones...

Any TCCD/TCC5 based memory is great for high htt with low voltage....any UTT/BH-5 will give you 250htt with 2-2-2 timings at much higher voltages.....just depends on what you want to roll with.

I''d recommend OCZ rev2 Plats or OCZ-4800/5000 plats....all have tccd/tcc5 and OC quite well. Plus the OCZ reps are always on here helping people out so its an added bonus.

Bd24

2 Questions...

1. Is there any way to take screen shots of the BIOS? (Besides, using video out)

2. Also, I did overclock to 210mhz without much problem but it still posts as "Athlon 3000+" Isn't that suppossed to change and post as 1890mhz? (9 x 210 = 1890)

I think I know why my setup won't overclock beyond 210mhz...

I think I have the same ram Ed_Jacobson had... He makes the same reference to the 210mhz barrier that I am facing...

Here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8087

The Model name for the OCZ RAM is...

OCZ4001024ELDC-K (Thats the 2x512mb version)

They advertise it as being CL 2-3-2-6 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

The link to the RAM is here http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200[/ur]

Its the DDR400 Dual Channel Enhanced Latency Series (Without Rev 1, 2 or 3 suffix to it)

So my question is...

1. Does this RAM suck that much?

2, Can this RAM overclock to average standards (around 250mhz) at other settings besides 2-3-2-6?

3. What is the best setting/voltage for this RAM in overclocking?

4. Also, I did overclock to 210mhz without much problem but it still posts as "Athlon 3000+" Isn't that suppossed to change and post as 1890mhz? (9 x 210 = 1890).

I think I'm stuck with a subpar OCZ product, I guess their products are not good performers across the board.... Any help?

If you want a screenshot of the BIOS u r gonna have to take a picture of it with a camera.

The name of your processor will never change....even if it is running at 9x300 it will still say Athlon 3000+. Right click your my computer icon and it'll say Athlon 64 3000+ 1890mhz.

Your ram, if it is rated for 2-3-2-6, is probably Winbond CH-5 based chips but I could be wrong. You should talk to either AndyOCZ or RyderOCZ (PM them) about timings and settings, how far you should expect to get, etc. OCZ makes very quality products with great support so before you sell them short talk to the men in charge

Edit: In order to post on this forum you must have a valid signature so that we may see what components you are using....please ma ke a sig in your user cp...you may use mine as a guide.

Your ram, if it is rated for 2-3-2-6, is probably Winbond CH-5 based chips but I could be wrong. You should talk to either AndyOCZ or RyderOCZ (PM them) about timings and settings, how far you should expect to get, etc. OCZ makes very quality products with great support so before you sell them short talk to the men in charge

I guess OCZ is revered around here and I understand.

However, ed_jacobson had the same problem where it won't go beyond 210mhz.

I'd like to call it the "210mhz barrier"

I wasn't selling OCZ short because "I guess OCZ is not a great performer ALL ACROSS THE BOARD" is a correct statement for the owners of OCZ4001024ELDC who paid $$$ expecting average overclocking results.

=)