nf4 Ultra D - Powering fans from MB: Stupid or Really Stupid?

I've been reading through some threads on powering cooling fans from the mb.

It sounds like most are only using the MB for RPM monitoring.

Am I stupid to try to run 2 or 3 low rpm fans from the mb? :confused:

Right now I have a 120mm Vantec Stealth @ 1500 rpm, and a 92mm Vantec Stealth at about 1700rpm. There are so many fan connectors on the board, that I would think it would be designed to handle them.

If they're all under, say 5w total draw, is this safe?

Just wondering if ANYONE is using the onboard power connectors for their fans.

If not, anyone have a good source for a bunch of cheap (hackable) molex connectors and/or a fan controller?

Thanks.

Videofool

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always prefer to put the load directly on the PSU and not any motherboard. The worst part is, the manual has no electrical specs for the headers and clearly states all may be used for system fans (not even a size/draw warning :shake: ). Supremely vague, therefore, I choose the safest way....

m :)

Hey Guys, great question... I might like to as well connect one or two fans to my mobo to have less cable clutter... is this really safe, could maybe one of the mods chime in on this one?

Thanks in advance!

Am I stupid to try to run 2 or 3 low rpm fans from the mb? :confused:

Right now I have a 120mm Vantec Stealth @ 1500 rpm, and a 92mm Vantec Stealth at about 1700rpm.

no. it's perfectly fine. the power draw of those low wattage fans is WELL below the rated output of the mobo pins.

the idea that you will somehow have a more stable system or better OC is just a superstition.

the total watt draw of the panaflo L1A fan is less than .1 amps, and some CPU fans can draw .5 amps, so there is no way this can cause a problem. just check the rated power usage of the fans before you install them. thread here

Yeah I'm running two fans (CPU plus an 80mm) off the MB just fine, after all, I now have to plug all the molex and FD connectors into the board itself, spare connectors are hard to find. ;)

You've never resolved a stability issue by removing fans from the motherboard fan headers or replaced a motherboard due to a burned fan header.

What happens when the fan fails and starts drawing large amounts of current through the header?

I have an Antec Blue LED 120mm fan that you can plug into a header on your motherboard if you want to buy a new motherboard.

How about a Sunon 60mm fan that wouldn't let the computer boot until I removed it from the fan header on the motherboard?

Why add complexity to an already complex system?

You already have the power for the CPU and chipset coming off of the motherboard.

the idea that you will somehow have a more stable system or better OC is just a superstition.

Guest burningrave101

I've been running a high speed 92mm Panaflo and a 120mm ADDA fan off my DFI Ultra-D without any problems but i'll probably switch them over to a fan controller later on.

It would be nice to know what the general spec is for the fan headers though.