Cold Boot? Memory Died? [email protected] = who you need to contact

This should be a sticky until we get some resolution. It's really looking like MB flaw and it would explain the NIGHTMARE that made up my first two RMAs of 4000VX RAM.

I eventually gave up and had to switch to TCCDs.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a sticky until we get some resolution. It's really looking like MB flaw and it would explain the NIGHTMARE that made up my first two RMAs of 4000VX RAM.

I eventually gave up and had to switch to TCCDs.

I vote sticky as well... I also RMA'd my first couple sticks of VX for this reason and got the exact same problem after the same amount of time with my new sticks. Is there another thread where the mods are addressing this?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...10&page=1&pp=25

- for further reading on the issue. Read texuspete's posts early on... I think I'm starting to agree. :mad:

Hope this gets sorted out soon, I'm ready to sell this POS mobo for a song and a dance. :nod:

umm this MOBO aint a POS...its a rocket if you know how to "rok it" alright this thing is awesome, I fought all the same and this thing does me right, so jus chill ;)

Also I definitely want to send a strong shoutout and thanx to Oz for putting us all on with the news, your off to tha start of a good future. I say sticky this classy lady.

h

I'm having similar issues to the ones other people are describing regarding the no post on cold boot and the black screen right after the startup routine is supposed to pass over to the OS.

My VDIMM is set to 2.9V right now. Unfortunately I cannot test to see if the same problem exists with the voltages defaulting to 2.7V on my board, because it's halfway across the country.

I can, however, offer the following: I attempted to boot with default settings using just one of my sticks, and got the black screen once and was able to get into the OS the second time. When I go into the BIOS and set the voltages to what I need in order to pass memtest, then I have the no-post issues where it just sits there telling me that my processor is an Athlon 64 3200+ and to press DEL to enter setup which it ignores.

I do not know if any of this information is helpful but it sorta sounds to me like the same problems other people have been having and adds fuel to the fire. I also don't know if 0.2V is enough to cause problems, but I do know that it is enough to get my memory stable in memtest.

My next move was to flash the BIOS up to 310 and see where that gets me... in the meantime, good luck in tracking this problem down and finding a solution. Many thanks to OzSnoal for his fine detective work, keep it up!

Watching and waiting (sorry I can't be more helpful),

J

with value RAM it is an issue, in fact thats the only voltage your RAM may run in this board. Mines is [email protected] because thats the only voltage it will run dual channel in.

Ugh now I can't even successfully boot with one stick. Are most of you with cold boot probs just sticking tccd in? Now I'm getting the 3 lights with 1x512 in any of the slots... but it's not giving the long beeps like it did before. Grr... lets bump this back up to the front page :cool:

Hi guys, there is a sticky over here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

bigtoe is looking for testers, so signup there if you are game.

We would all like to find out what is causing this, it would've been nice if this issue did not exist in the first place, but it does - so lets help out with the debugging.

Be aware it will involve flashing to a new bios, and it is a BETA version (own risk, blah blah blah....) and only for use with UTT based memory (which is used on the VX ram).

Now that there have been comments on this by DFI's own tech support (but this is NOT an official statement!), I wonder what Angry_Games himself has to say on it.

In case some people are always lazy to follow links posted, here is the first post of the respective BleedinEdge thread.

If some of you are not aware, the DFI Nforce 4 Ultra/D/DR SLI models has a jumper setting onboard that allows you to increase the voltage supplied to the ram from 3.3 volts to 5 volts. This will give users the option to go beyond 3.2 volts in the bios.

As an example, OCZ VX, Mushkin Redline and other UTT based ram products use this extra voltage to obtain tighter timings with overclocked settings.

I had been having major issues with this board and the 5 volt Vdimm setting, to the point where 1 of my boards has died and is now back with DFI for RMA.

This prompted me to contact DFI technical support in the USA.

I just spoke to Frank Wong at DFI USA about the major problems people are getting with the 5Volt Vdimm jumper setting on these motherboards.

His response is very disturbing.

Mr Wong basically informed me that DFI R&D in Taiwan know about this issue and have been testing this jumper setting with many different major ram modules. He told me that the 5 volt setting is causing and i quote "Major Issues".

Mr Wong went on to say that DFI's R&D in Taiwan recommended to him that the 5 volt jumper be set to the default 3.3 volt setting on the board while the problem exsists.

Mr Wong also said "At this time they do not have a fix for this problem. Our R&D has also found that the Vdimm jumper when set to 5 volts can cause some of the motherboard chipsets to blow"

So there we have it straight from the horses mouth.

If you own 1 of these boards and have the jumper set to 5 volts, DFI Tech support in the USA recommend changing it back to the 3.3 volt setting until DFI R&D in Taiwan can fix the problem.

Lets hope DFI come up with a fix soon.

Paul "Topboy" North